Borge Henning Metz

Startet af Alison Metz, 23 Nov 2010 - 23:01

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Alison Metz

How do I find out more about Boerge Henning Metz, born 02.10.1907 in Copenhagen

This is my grandfather. He was born Petersen, but used the name Metz througtout his life in the US. He was born at Den Kgl. Foedselsstiftelse 02.10.1907, book 1906-1908, opslag 114, child no. 550.

How can I find out more about his birth? I'm interested in finding his father's name. It's not written in the church book, but maybe it is written somewhere in other papers about his birth.

What I know:
His mother, Elma Alexandra Cecilie Petersen (born 18.03.1885 in Sundby, Sokkelund, Copenhagen), was a maid by a Metz family in 1907, when she got pregnant. The young son in the Metz family was named Henning.

Later Boerge Henning uses Metz as a family name. I assume, that the young Henning Metz is the father of the child, but it's naturally only a guess - yet.

Regards Alison Metz, California

More Info:

Churchbook for the birth of Boerge Henning Petersen
(Den Kgl. Foedselsstiftelse, Sokkelund, Copenhagen, Denmark, book 1906-1908, opslag 114, child no. 550)
Boerge Henning Petersen
Born 2. October 1907 in Copenhagen, Foedselsstiftelsen
Child no. 1097
Babt. 9. October 1907

Mother:
Unmarried birthgiving, no. 1123
22 Years old, born Sundby Parish 18. March 1885
Maid Elma Alexandra Cecilie Petersen

Note
23. October 1907
*) The Mother lived 10 Months before the birth Overgaden oven Vandet 98, Vor Frelsers, Sokkelund, Copenhagen by Metz.
The mother lived (at the time for the birth) Drogdensgade 8, st., Sundby, Sokkelund, Copenhagen

*) This note is written because at that time the Parish where the pregnancy has begun is the Parish that has to take care of the child if the mother is unable to do it herself.

---
Boerge Henning's marriage and children
He married Vivian Haines in San Francisco, California around 1923.
They had one child:
Dennis Bert Metz, born July 24, 1933 in San Francisco, California; dead February 13, 1993 in Humboldt California.

---
Boerge Henning Metz death record
California Death Index
Name: Bert H Metz
Social Security #: 566031462
Sex: Male
Birth Date: 2 Oct 1907
Birthplace: Denmark Death Date: 4 Jul 1968
Death Place: San Mateo
Mother's Maiden Name: Petersen

---
Boerge Hennings mother: Elma Petersen's birth
Elma Alexandra Cecilie Petersen
Born 18.March 1885
Babt. 6. April 1885
in Sundby, Sokkelund, Copenhagen, Denmark.
Father: Stoker (maybe in a lighthouse) Vilhelm Amandus Joachim Petersen
Mother: Caroline Ottilia Amalie Nielsen, 20 Years old.
Address: Thingevej 91, Sundby.
They were married.

Found here: www.arkivalieronline.dk
Record: See attached file.

---
Elmas parents
Census 1. February 1885, Copenhagen, Denmark:
Name, Age, Civil status, Status in household, Occupation, Birthplace
Jens Ernst Bløes, 44, Widower,, woord-worker at woodfactory, Slagelse
Vilhelm Amandus Joakim Petersen, 23, married, housefather, stoker in the Marine, Copenhagen
Caroline Otilia Petersen, 20, Gift, housewife, Sundbyøster.

Vilhelm Amandus also found in 1880 as unmarried apprentice in Copenhagen
Found at www.ddd.dda.dk 'Folketaellinger', Amt = Koebenhavn

---
Boerge Hennings mother: Elma Petersen's way to US
Border crossing from Canada to US, 1895-1956
Name: Elma Alexr C Petersen
Arrival Date: 2 Jul 1910
Birth Date: abt 1885
Birth Country: Denmark
Address in Denmark: Drogdensgade 8, 3. ... Copenhagen
Mother: Caroline Petersen
Race/Nationality: Scandinavian   
Port of Arrival: Quebec, Quebec, Canada
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Departure date: 25. June 1910
Ship: SS Laurentic
Whether going to family member or friend: Friend
Her child is not mentioned here!!!
http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=View&r=an&dbid=1075&iid=m1464_127-0771&fn=Elma+Alexr+C&ln=Petersen&st=r&ssrc=&pid=213389
(and next page. Line 17)

---
Boerge Henning Metz' step sieblings:
When Elma immigrated to the US, she married a Theodore Lauritzen in Salt Lake City Utah.  They had two children.

---
Rosa Metz Parsberg
Rosalie Metz (born Randers 1872- died 1963 in Copenhagen) was a photographer for living. She was married to a well known painter Axel Peter Verner Parsberg. They had no children.

I don't think the name is an coincidence. The Metz family was a jewish family with strong family ties, I think.

---
The Metz family who lived at the place Overgaden oven Vandet no. 98 in 1907
This persons who lived at the address 1. November 1905:
Martin Metz, manufakturhandler (draper('s shop?)),
Born in Randers 22. December 1856
Married to Sofie, born 11. February 1866
Children:
Henning, born 17. November 1888
Egil born 24. July 1892.

Found here:
http://www.politietsregisterblade.dk/index.php?option=com_sfup&controller=politregisterblade&task=viewRegisterblad&id=38780&backside=0&tmpl=component

---
Relations between Martin Metz and Rosalie Metz
Their fathers were brothers. Rosa and Martin Metz are therefore cousins.

---
Possible father to Boerge Henning Petersen
It COULD BE the son Henning Metz of the 1905 household at Overgaden oven Vandet 98.

Henning was married to Ellen Elisabeth Larsen in Melbourne, Australia 23. December 1918. They had no children.
Henning became an engineer and died in Melbourne in 1941.

Henning found here (1905):
http://www.politietsregisterblade.dk/index.php?option=com_sfup&controller=politregisterblade&task=viewRegisterblad&id=38777&limitstart=10

Henning also found here:
www.ancestry.com
his record has been added to your shoebox.
Victoria, Australia, Assisted and Unassisted Passenger Lists, 1839–1923
Name: Henning Metz
Estimated birth year: abt 1889
Arrival Date: 10 Apr 1914
Arrival Port: Melbourne, Australia
Departure Port: London
Ship: Benalla
Nationality: Foreigner

Paul Londahl-Smidt

The only way that you can PROVE a relationship between Borge Henning Petersen and Henning Metz is through direct male DNA.  Since Henning was childless you would have to find direct male descendents of his brother Egil Metz.  In the 1911 census for Overgade 98, Egil is no longer living with his parents.

Good luck.

Paul

Alison Metz

Thank you Paul. 

I received this email yesterday.  Do you think it is worth doing?

Hi Alison,

The best way to try to solve the mystery is to try to trace a possible case of alimony. I could try to do it for you. But it will be time-consuming and I would therefore ask for a contribution to our society JGS-Denmark of 100 $. Anyway there is the problem, that for the time being and until the end of this year "Landsarkivet", where the registers are kept, is closed due to relocation. But it will be possible in January.

If you are interested in such an investigation please let me know.

Best regards

Allan

Allan Falk
Svanevänget 4, 2. tv.
DK 2100 Copenhagen
Tel. + 45 39 63 29 49

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hi Allison,

I don't see how alimony would be involved since Borge's parents were never married.  I still think finding if Emil Metz has any direct male descendents is the way to go.  Try another post asking for information on Emil.  Perhaps some kind Dane will try to find him.

Sincerely,
Paul
North Carolina

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hi Allison,

Looking at the 1906 census only the father was Jewish.  The mother and all the children were Lutheran.  Eigel was bonr 25 Jul 1892.

Sincerely,
Paul

Alison Metz

Thanks Paul.  I think I might have found a descendent of his in Australia (where Eigil immigrated).

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hi Allison,

If you go with the DNA testing, please post the results on this formum.

Sincerely,
Paul

Eva Morfiadakis

Hello,

Please look at the "sheet" of Henning Metz: http://www.politietsregisterblade.dk/index.php?option=com_sfup&controller=politregisterblade&task=viewRegisterblad&id=38777&limitstart=10

After his profession 'blacksmith apprentice' there are some numbers written which refer to a paternity case. In Danish 'alimentation' abbreviated Al. Of course it may be another illegitimate child of his.

Somebody could easily go to the archives at Nuuks Plads to copy the documents. I don't think they are closed. I am afraid I can't offer my assistance since I am not planning to go to Copenhagen any more this year.

Eva Morfiadakis
Eva M

Alison Metz

Thank you.   I will look at that document again!