Some Help to Find the Correct Ancestor

Startet af David Dart, 24 Mar 2012 - 13:00

Forrige emne - Næste emne

David Dart

Could you please assist with confirming the correct details for Friderikke Wilhelmine Petersen.

I would like to:

1.   confirm the detail her mothers family (Anna Maria Jessen)
2.   and her fathers family (Friedrich Wilhelm Petersen)
3.   the details of her brother Tomas Lassen
4.   her step father Jes Jessen's details
5.   details of any other half siblings she may have had

Please see older post from DIS Danmark
http://www.dis-danmark.dk/forum/read.php?11,669827,669907

We have firmly established that my 2+ grandmother FRIDERIKKE WILHELMINE PETERSEN, who emigrated to Australia in 1877 was, as the church record says:
born Oct. 11 1858 and bapt. Oct. 17 1858 at Rise Kirke.

(  Friderikke Wilhelmine Petersen, was an illegitimate daughter of Jes Jessens wife Anna Maria Jessen from Kliplev. )
    The alleged father is the worker Friedrich Wilhelm Petersen from Ohrfeld in Angel (peninsula east of     Flensburg, today Germany), who made her pregnant (besov hende) while she lived (boede til leje) at the mason Christian Thaysen in Kelstrup. Mother aged 36.

Witnesses:  Friderikke Jörgensen in Riis  Marie Helene Branderup ibid. Hans Rasmussen Petersen Kirkmann i Brunde (Rise parish)

Her Australian death record states
Father - Friedrich Wilhelm Petersen
Mother - Anna Maria Tulson (which appears to be a misspelling) I am not sure if this is Jessen misspelled or perhaps a maiden name like Tychesen?

She also had a brother whose name was Thomas Lassen (recorded in Australia newspapers when he applied for land as T J Lassen, P J Lassen and possibly Toge Lassen). If her mother was a Jessen I am not sure if she remarried or where this brother came from) He died around 1899 at around the age of 25 or 26 from typhoid while travelling on a train after working on the new railways in Queensland. No record of his death can be found.

There was a Jes Jessen and an Anna Marie Jessen who also travelled to Australia and had 2 sons, one was Anton and I cannot remember the other - I have not been able to connect them to Friderikke. It seems also in Denmark there were a LOT of Jes Jessen's - so my attempt to find Friderikkes mother has not been conclusive.

Any assistance would be gratefully received

Kind Regards

David

Ruth Steenberg Rasmussen

Hi David
It is not an easy job to find the correct Anna Maria Tychsen, but I think I might have found the answer:
Jes Jessens wife from Tinglev.
I have a lot of data that need to be sorted out and translatet, but I hope I get it done within a few days.

But I can tell you, that I have found a daughter of Anne Marie Tychsen the wife of Jes Jessen, Kliplev:
Anna Maria Lassen
Born in Rise in 1864, opslag 24:
nr. 16, born 2 of April the allerged father is Jørgen Lassen from Langeland. She got pregnant while she served with him at Gaardmand Erich Holst in Stollig (Løjt sogn).

According to family search she get married in Australia in 1882.

Can you find any information about her arrival? She might have traveled with others of the family.

I'll be back with more informations.

Regards
Ruth

Ruth Steenberg Rasmussen

Here is what I have found:

I started checking/following Anna Maria Tychsens family, father, mother and siblings.

They had as you know Anna Maria born 1823 in Todsbøl.
These siblings or- halfsiblings of Anna Maria were all born in Bjolderup, churchbook: 1798-1884
Nicolay Christian Tychsen, born 1828, opslag 158 – parents: Tyge Thomas Tychsen and Anna born Rasmus Andresen.
Andreas Christian Tychsen, born 1831, opslag 183 – parents: Tyge Tychsen and Anna born Andresen
Sinned Kjerstine, born 1834, opslag 195 – parents: Tyge Tychsen and Anna born Andresen, but the father protested against paternity.
Rasmus Jürgensen Nissen, born 1837, opslag 213, mother: Anna born Andresen. She tells the father is Nis Nissen from Bjolderup, who committed suicide in spring that year.

And born in Tinglev, churchbook 1825-1860
Johanna Sina Maria Rasmussen dec. 1843, (in FT 1845 named Johanne S. M.), opslag 143. Parents: The widow Anna Rasmussen and Jens Stadil in Terkelsbøl (Tinglev sogn)

In Tinglev (same churchbook) you find the confirmation of Nicolay Christian Tychsen, opslag 333

So no doubt that the family had moved to Tinglev, where the eldest daughter Anna MariaTychsen and Jes Jessen were married in 1843.
I have not been able to find the death of Tyge Tychsen neither in Bjolderup nor in Tinglev.

Her is Anna Rasmussen with most of her children:

Tønder, Slogs, Tinglev, Dorf Terkelsbüll, 27 Miethsgebäude, 113, FT-1845, C5483
Navn:   Alder:   Civilstand:   Stilling i husstanden:   Erhverv:   Fødested:
Anna M. Rasmussen   45    Enke      -   Todsbüll
Hans P. Jürgensen   24    Ugift      -   do. [Todsbüll]
Andres Chr. Tügesen   14    Ugift      -   do. [Todsbüll]
Sinnet Tügesen   11    Ugift      -   Bollersleben
Rasmus Nissen Tügesen   8    Ugift      -   do. [Bollersleben]
Johanne S. M. Tügesen   2    Ugift      -   Terkelsbüll
Jes Christ. Bau   51    Gift      Schullehrer   Renz

And here you find Nicolay Christian serving on a farm in Uge:
Aabenraa, Lundtoft, Uge, Uck Dorf, 31 Kathengebäude, 41, FT-1845, B3850
Navn:   Alder:   Civilstand:   Erhverv:   Fødested:
Nicolay Christian Tüchsen   17    Ugift   Dienstknecht   K. Biolderup A. Apenrade

In 1852 you find him in Øster Løgum sogn, Sønder Rangstrup Herred, Åbenrå Amt, 1849-1898, opslag 13 as father of twin daughters.  Marriage 1852 in Øster Løgum, 1763-1853, opslag 267.

As far as I can see both Anna Andresen/Rasmussen  and Anna Marie Tychsen and Jes Jessen leaves Tinglev as I find the confirmation of Sinnet Tychsen 1849 in Bjolderup (1798-1884, opslag 695) and Anna Maria Tychsen and Jes Jessen have their third boy in Bov in 1848.

Children of Anna Marie Tychsen and Jes Jessen:
Jes Jessen, born 1844 in Stoltenlund, Tinglev sogn, Slogs Herred, Tønder Amt, 1825-1860, opslag 144
Christian Jessen, born 1846 in Stoltenlund, Tinglev sogn, opslag 160
Johan Nicolay Jessen, born in Bov 1848, Lundtoft Herred, Åbenrå Amt, 1808-1871, opslag 284
Among the witnesses is Maria Andresen from Boldersleben = Bjolderup

And then you have Anna Maria Tychsens:
Frederikke Wilhelmine Petersen born 1858 in Rise and Anna Maria Lassen born in Rise 1864
I still have not found any son by the surname Lassen.

Anna Marie Tychsens eldest brother Andreas Christian Tychsen are married 12th of June 1860 in Hoptrup sogn, Haderslev Herred, Haderslev Amt 1829-1864, opslag 513. The bride is Marie Helene Thimsen.
This couple have 5 children all found in 1857-1898:
Anna Helene Tychsen, born 1860 in Hoptrup – same churchbook, opslag 13
Johanne Andrea Tychsen, born 1863 in Hoptrup, opslag 28
Cathrine Rasmussine Tychsen, born 1866 in Hoptrup, opslag 43
Maria Tychsen, born 1868 in Hoptrup, 1857-1898, opslag 51
Andreas Christian Tychsen, born 3rd of Dec. 1870, son of Andras Christian Tychsen for the time being in Australia and wife Marie Helene born Thimsen in Sønderballe. – opslag 63

In april 1874 you find Marie Helene Thimsen as widow in Bjolderup where she gives birth to a boy:
Christian Peter Thimsen. No name of a father.
And in june 1875: Laurits Marius Thimsen, opslag 497 – no name of the father.

The death of Andreas Christian Tychsen is not to be found neither in Hostrup nor in Bjolderup. He might have died on the trip to Australia.

Helene Tychsen marries again in 1878 in Bjolderup with Peter F. Frosch and they have in february the same year, Hans Peter Frosch, opslag 525.

So here you have the witness at the christening of Frederikke Helene Petersen daughter Helene Mariane Madsen in Rise 1876. Helene Tychsen is Frederikkes aunt living in Gaaskjær in Bjoldrup sogn.

Other informations found in the research:

Aabenraa, Lundtoft, Ensted, Sdr.Hostrup, 10 F2 Gård, Matr.nr. 82-3 Bygade 8, 12, FT-1860, C8166
Navn:   Alder:   Civilstand:   Stilling i husstanden:   Erhverv:   Fødested:

Sinnet Christine Tøgesen   26    Ugift   Tjenestepige      Bolderslev

Aabenraa, Lundtoft, Kliplev, Bjerndrup, Fattiganstalten, 2, FT-1860, C9228
Navn:   Alder:   Civilstand:   Stilling i husstanden:   Fødested:
Christian Jessen   14    ugift   Forsørges af Anstalten   Stoltelund

Rise Sogn, Rise Herred, Åbenrå Amt, 1858-1900, opslag 43:
On the 8th of August 1868, Johanne Sina Maria Tychsen, born  in Tinglev gives birth to a illigimate boy Jens Jensen. Father Servant Jens Jensen. She got pregnant while serving at robe maker Andresen in Apenrade (Åbenrå). The very important remarks here is, that the child is presented by the widow Anna Tychsen in Rise, and among the witnesses is Johan Nicolay Jessen.
So Jes Jessen must be dead by then, but I have not found his death.

Regards
Ruth

Ruth Steenberg Rasmussen

Homepage about Jes Jessen born in Tinglev:
http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/l/a/n/Teresa-G-Lang-Newcastle/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0402.html

I checked the arrival in Hansted and found Jes Jessen and in 1869 Christian Jessen as well.
More about Christian Jessen: http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/l/a/n/Teresa-G-Lang-Newcastle/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-1281.html

On this homepage is an information about Anna Maria Lassen telling she married Christian Stumer in 1882 in Australia:
http://www.garycolquhoun.com.au/alljan2010/aqwg299.htm

Regards
Ruth

Ruth Steenberg Rasmussen

Sorry, I forgot one son of Anna Maria Tychsen and Jes Jessen:

Bjoldererup, opslag 283:
Born 5th of Febr. 1850:
Thøge Peter Jessen, son of schoolteacher in Gaashøy Jes Jessen and wife born in Bollersleben (Bjolderup) Anna Maria Jessen, born Tychsen.

So all together:
Children of Anna Marie Tychsen and Jes Jessen:
1. Jes Jessen, born 1844 in Stoltenlund, Tinglev sogn, Slogs Herred, Tønder Amt, 1825-1860, opslag 144
2. Christian Jessen, born 1846 in Stoltenlund, Tinglev sogn, opslag 160
3. Johan Nicolay Jessen, born in Bov 1848, Lundtoft Herred, Åbenrå Amt, 1808-1871, opslag 284
4. Thøge Peter Jessen, born 1850 in Bjolderup!

Regards
Ruth

David Dart

Greetings Ruth

Thank you for all your hard work, you have uncovered an incredible amount of valuable information. I have some questions for you;

Do you think that Friderikke Wilhelmine Petersen lived with another family, because I can't find anything about her childhood between her birth in 1858 and emmigration in 1877. I would like to know if she was educated in a local school and who she grew up with?

Also I cannot find any exact matching ship passenger list for the name Thoge (Thomas) Jensen Lassen, however if it was misspelt I have found a record for;
Thoge Jensen Larsen 14,
Maria Anna Larsen 56,
and Jensine M Larsen 29 on a ship to Brisbane 'Earl Dalrousie' in February 1880.

The above listed Maria Anna Larsen is the same age as Anna Marie Tygesen (Jessen, Lassen), however there is no 'Jurgen Larsen' on the list. if she is the same person could Jensine be a sister or aunt to Thomas

I have found on a site called mundia.com reference (when searching Anna Marie Tychsen) to a Tyje Jensen Lassen with only birth year 1866, which would correlate with the boys age on the passenger list, however another record on Family Search lists a boy called Toge Jensen Larsen born or christened 30 July 1865 in Aabenraa. It seems difficult with children to different men, as the records seem to indicate children may live with other relatives?

Do you think Anna Marie married Jurgen Lassen?

Thank you for such great work.

Kind Regards

David

Jane C

http://awtc.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=kgassan&id=I2008&ti=5538

Link for Anna Maria Lassen and Christian Stumer, in online family tree by Kay Gassen. Shows Anna Marie's mother as Anna Marie Zuchsen [sic].

•ID: I2008
•Name: Anna Marie LASSEN
•Given Name: Anna Marie
•Surname: LASSEN
•Sex: F
•Birth: 1864 in Ries,Apenrade,Holstein,Denmark
•Death: 10 NOV 1945 in Wondai,Queensland
•Burial: 12 NOV 1945 Wondai Cem,Wondai,Queensland
•Note: Burial site Old methodist wondai Cemetery Row 3 Grave 38
•Change Date: 6 APR 2000 at 08:59:54

Father: Jurgen LASSEN
Mother: Anna Marie ZUCHSEN

Marriage 1 Christian STUMER b: 7 FEB 1858 in Blankenburg,Uckermark,Brandenberg,Germany •Married: 5 OCT 1882 in Walloon Scrub,,Queensland,AUSTRALIA
Children 1. Ferdinand STUMER b: 1 AUG 1883 in Queensland Australia
2. Conrad STUMER b: 1 SEP 1885 in Glamorganvale Queensland Australia
3. Christian STUMER b: 7 FEB 1889 in Glamorganvale Queensland Australia
4. Frank Thomas STUMER b: 27 MAR 1899 in One Mile Ipswich Queensland Australia
5. Hulda Augusta (Hilda) STUMER b: 14 NOV 1890 in Queensland Australia
6. Amelia Christina (Emily) STUMER b: 14 NOV 1890 in Queensland Australia
7. Andrew Henry STUMER b: 26 JUL 1896 in Glamorganvale Queensland Australia

A descendant of Hulda, Victor Tobler, seems to have family who have posted queries in family history sites to ask about his ancestry.

Extraordinary work, Ruth. :)

Jane C

http://boards.ancestry.com.au/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=212&p=localities.oceania.australia.qld.brisbane

A family member, online post 2008

Hi, I'm a descendant of Johan Nicolai Jessen born 7 Feb 1849. I have 2 places of birth on his death record. It says Hensborg, Schlessurg, Germany, [ this must mean Slesvig-Holsten ] and on his daughter's birth record it says Denmark. He died 6 Aug 1905 Ipswich, Queensland, Australia. Buried Grantchester Cemetery.

I'm from his first marriage (27 Feb 1869 Apenrade Denmark) to Anna/Annie Dorothea Nielsen born abt 1848 death ?. They had Annie Mary Catherine, George Carl Christian and Junie Emilie (my line).

His second marriage was to Johanne Marie Eriksen 1880 Ipswich, Queensland, Australia. [ Fernvale, Ipswich, Queensland. ]

Going on the info on his death record he would have arrived in Australia about 1873. Occupation farmer. His father was Jess Jessen a school teacher and his mother was Anna Maria Tuchsen. His name also comes up in Queensland Archives.

I would love to hear from anyone connected to this family.
email fam.hist snable a hotmail.com

:D

Jane C

http://xn--slgts-data-e6a.dk/

This website lists Anna Maria Lassen b. 03 APRIL 1864 Rise, Abenrå.

Posted 2006
Interested to hear from anyone researching or descendant from the following people. Johanne Marie nee Eriksen (born 1859 in Denmark) married to Johan Nicolai Jessen (born ???) last known adr. in 1880 : Postoffice Fernvale, Ipswich, Queensland. Johanne Marie Eriksen left Denmark 4/2/1878. Johanne and Johan marriage in Australia (Queensland ??) 1878 - 1880. If you have any info on this family please feel free to contact us. Tom Stryhn and Erik Dines Hansen.

http.//www.tom-stryhn.com

Jane C

Per GENANZ-L Archives 2006:

It would appear that Johann N. Jessen arrived Brisbane 8th January 1873
on board the "Lammershagen."

1903 Qld Electoral Roll shows:
John Nicholas JESSEN, farmer, Polling Place: Rosewood, Division: Moreton
Johanne Marie JESSEN, female, domestic duties, Polling Place: Rosewood, Division: Moreton

Johan Nicholai JESSEN died 6/8/1905 - Qld Death Certificate Ref: 1905 / 002121
Father: Jess JESSEN - Mother: Anna Maria TUCHSEN

1913 Qld Electoral Roll shows:
Johanne Marie JESSEN, female, domestic duties, Polling Place: Rosewood
Therese Johanne JESSEN, female, domestic duties, Polling Place: Rosewood
..... [= Therese Johanne Marie Jessen born 1st Oct 1881]
Eric Peter JESSEN, labourer, Polling Place: Rosewood
..... [= Erick Peter B. Jessen born 29 Sept 1891]

Another son was John Henry Jessen born 14 May 1888

Jane C

Headstone in Grandchester Cemetery, Ipswich, Queensland

Johann Nicolai Jessen born 7 Feb 1849 died 6 Aug 1905

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

David Dart

Citat fra: Jane Christiansen Dato 31 Mar 2012 - 06:45
Headstone in Grandchester Cemetery, Ipswich, Queensland

Johann Nicolai Jessen born 7 Feb 1849 died 6 Aug 1905

Thank you Jane, I was only 5 km from Grandchester yesterday! I will have to make a visit another day to see the grave

Regards

David

Jane C

Jess Jessen in North Dakota USA:

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/l/a/n/Teresa-G-Lang-Newcastle/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0402.html

Oh now I see this link is already posted. So much information here and very well sourced.

Jesse died (13 October 1932, Lucy Township, Burke County, North Dakota) from an accidental gunshot wound; while cleaning the gun it went off (per source notes for the above website). He is buried at Bethleham Danish Lutheran Cemetery, Ward township, Burke Co., North Dakota. Probably Find a Grave will have some of this family.

Jane C

Ah! Then you are in the area where all the Jessens found so far seem to be. I am surprised that Thomas can elude you. There is a website hosted by a couple who have made a project of posting the Brisbane and Ipswich cemetery/gravestone information online. (maybe they said Queensland, can't remember.) One way to find Thomas's death date would be to find his grave...

Another thought I've had is that one might find your 2X grandmother Friderikke Wilhelmine Petersen in the census or church rolls in Denmark through her older siblings - it's maybe possible she lived with one of them at some time. Thus it's helpful seeing their life histories and movements in Denmark. I hope the brilliant Ruth will find her!

Skanderborg, Voer, Hansted, Raadved bye, Et hus, 5, FT-1880, B1719
Jes Jensen 36  Gift Husfader, Husejer, Daglejer ved Agerbruget  Slesvig
Charlotte Sofie Mølgaard 33  Gift Hans Hustru  Nykjer k sogn
Ane Marie Jensen 5  Ugift Deres børn  Hansted sogn
Jes Jensen 8  Ugift Deres børn  Hansted sogn
Udøbt Pigebarn Under 1 år  Ugift Deres børn  Hansted sogn

Hmmm

Ruth Steenberg Rasmussen

Hi David, you wrote:

Thoge Jensen Larsen 14,
Maria Anna Larsen 56,
and Jensine M Larsen 29 on a ship to Brisbane 'Earl Dalrousie' in February 1880.

It is your Anna Maria and her son. Jensen = Jessen   :D

With the help of Inger Burchard I now have the full text from the churchbook in Åbenrå:
1858-1882, opslag 110 nr. 123:

Thøge Jensen Larsen unehel. Sohn des von ihrem Manne getrennt
lebenden Anne Maria Jensen zu Straagaard, und angeblich des
Jürgen Larsen von Langeland. Die Mutter des Kindes hielt
sich vor 10 Monaten im Kirchspiel Ries auf, doch hat d. Kind seine
Heimath zu Straagaard

= Thøge Jensen (another spelling of Jessen) illigimate son og Anne Marie Jensen (Jessen) from Straagaard who lives apart from her husband, and given (father) Jürgen Larsen from Langeland. The mothers child stayed in Rise 10 months before the birth, but the child is to Straagaard (in Løjt).
(Meaning if he need social help Løjt has to pay for him, not Aabenraa and not Rise)

Obs one of the wittnesses: Frederick Petersen - could be Frederikke Wilhelmines father????

She might have married Jørgen Lassen or she use the same name as the son. I do not know.

I cannot tell more about their living, as I have tried to follow the family as much as possible from churchbooks and census, but many confirmations are not on line for these years and nor census 1860.

Regards
Ruth

David Dart

Dear Ruth,

You are amazing! Thanks to Inger and Jane also. This information has been very difficult for me to find and you are finding it in a matter of a couple of days...incredible

now the question of Frederick Petersen???

What would Anna be doing estranged from her husband, having a child with Jurgen and inviting an old lover Frederick to the christening? This is more sordid than a daytime soap opera! Do you think she lived with Frederick at the time of the birth?

Were there any other witnesses to Thoges christening, can you confirm his date of birth?

Can I also ask what year the train line allowed travel between Rise and Hamburg?

Kind Regards

David  :)

Jane C

Ruth's finds are so exciting!!!

So is she saying Thøge Jensen Larsen was born in 1866? What does that do to your records for the Thomas Lassen in Australia, who was age 25 or 26 in 1899 (born about 1873, a bit young to be Friderikke Wilhelmine Petersen's brother). Is he the right guy?

Just a bit more on the others, although it's not your focus now.

Anna Marie Lassen born 03 Apr 1864 baptized 17 Apr 1864 in Rise
Died 10 March 1945 in Wondai; buried 12 Nov 1945 [sic] at Wondai Cemetery, Wondai Shire, Queensland
Anna had yet another child (additional to those posted above) per Tom Stryhn's website.

Lily Mary Annie Stumer
Born 30 May 1902 Glamorganvale, Queensland, Australia
Died 17 Nov 1934 Wondai, Queensland, Australia; buried Wondai cemetery
Married Thomas Jesberg
mundia.com says they had a daughter Mary

A Jesburg, Mary, d. 08/07/1915, age: 47yr, is buried in Wondai Cemetery

Jane C

Name: Jess Jessen
Departure Date: 19 Mrz 1882 (19 Mar 1882)
Destination: New York
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1844
Age Year: 38
Family: Household members
Residence: Dänemark, Dänemark

Ship Name: Sprite
Captain: Harrison
Ship Type: Dampfschiff
Accommodation: ohne Angabe
Ship Flag: England
Port of Departure: Hamburg
Port of Arrival: Hull (Amerika (USA) via Liverpool)

Volume: 373-7 I, VIII B 1 Band 048
Page: 452
Microfilm Roll Number: S_13139

Ruth Steenberg Rasmussen

Hi David
I was in a hurry going out for the day .... so I missed the important information:
Thøge Jensen Larsen was born in1866 on the 4th of July and baptized on the 30 of July as you told.
Without the information of parish and date I could not have found him so easily.
Aabenraa was the only parish I kept saying to myself I did not have to check - and that was wrong.
But the family had all the time been in the small villages around so I did not think of Aabenraa.

Wittnesses of the baptism:
1. Frederick Petersen
2. Conrad Schrøder
3. Anna Lorentzen

It might be or not be the Frederick Petersen, - it was just a thought.

I have looked for a marriage between Jørgen Larsen and Anna Marie Jessen/Jensen/Tychsen without finding any.
I did find a Jørgen Larsen born in Tullebølle, Langeland Nørre, Svendborg amt. Born 1828, married 1877 to a Anna Jensen (but not yours) in Hjordkær. I do not think you will find many Jørgen Larsen from Langeland in this part of the country (German from 1864-1920), but no proof of being the right one.
This Jørgen Larsen is bachelor when he marries, gets two children and dies in 1888 in Hjordkær.

Regards
Ruth

Jane C

Yeah! The lost "Thomas" is found.  :)

I looked for a picture of the ship's manifest for the "Earl Dalhousie" but found only this:
Name:  Maria Anna Larsen
Birth Year:  abt 1824
Ship Name:  Earl Dalhousie
Port of Departure:  London, England
Port of Arrival:  Brisbane
Arrival Date:  6 Feb 1880

I know Friderikke is the priority - along with David's questions in general. But did you happen to already see in your research, Ruth, if Andreas Christian Tychsen born December 1870 was a pastor?

Ruth Steenberg Rasmussen

I cannot tell you anything about the railway. I have googled for informations without finding any exact facts. There were many small railways between small villages, but the wars 1848 - 1850 and in 1864 complicated the plans.

According to your question about with whom Anna Maria lived, there are no informations that can tell us that. Having not lived with her husband she would have to earn to her own living. I think Frederikke has stayed in Rise and at fosterparents. Often these children stayed with families not being relatives. They were payed by the parish. This is the reason it was importent to know where the mother was living when she got pregnant. In the case of Frederikke and Thøge Løjt would have to pay if help were needed.
Taking children into fostercare often ment two things to the foster parents: money and cheap labour when the children grew older. Well, many were treatet well but to others it has been hard times.

The text at Frederikkes baptism tells that Anna Maria had worked and lived at the farm in Løjt. A part of the wages has been a bed to sleep in and all meals included. But I am pretty sure there has been no room for her children. You might have noticed that Christian Jessen at the census in 1860 were in a home for poor people "fattiganstalten" in Kliplev.

If you want more exact information you will have to visit the archive in Aabenraa. They might be able to help. I can see that they have records from fx. Rise school and from Fattigforbundet for both Rise and Løjt
- and many others  :D. If you go there on a trip to Denmark you must get help from those you visit and use a couple of days.

Have a nice sunday
Ruth

David Dart

Thank you Ruth,

You have found more information than I thought was possible and gone to a lot of effort for me.

I would love to go to Denmark to the Aabenraa archives, and I will keep that in my memory if I ever get the opportunity to visit. I have been looking at as much general Danish history as I can find to build a picture of how my ancestors would have lived and the difficulties they had. They had it tough here too because there were no roads, only rough bush tracks, dangers of heat stroke for unaware Scandinavians, snakes, spiders, drought, floods, very hard labour in extreme heat and death (Friderikkes husband died only 5 years after their arrival) she must have been very resilient, as she lived until 1950!

Thanks again for your assistance.

Kind regards

David ;D