Help in US and Canada

Startet af pam sanchez, 16 Mar 2012 - 02:52

Forrige emne - Næste emne

pam sanchez

I am hoping to get your assistance with the following people:

Nils Nilsen Dalsmon/Dolsman born Nils Nilsen on  7 jan 1855 in Skoger, Buskerud, Norway married Pauline Gunelia Frederiksdatter on 10 nov 1874 in Sandsvaer, Buskerud, Norway.  Pauline was born  10 aug 1853 in Sandsvaer, Buskerud, Norway.  Children born to them in Sandsvaer, Buskerud, Norway were Baby Nilsen stillborn on 25 sep 1873, Nikolene Frederike Nilsen born 28 may 1875 died 1878, Bolette Emily Nilsen born 4 sep 1877, Hans frederik Nilsen born 5 sep 1879 and Karl Anton born 3 may 1882.                       .

They immigrated in 1885 to the U.S.  The first records I find on them are located in Blooming Praire, Dodge County, Minnesota.  The are in the 1885 State census. They stayed there til about 1894. Several more children were born them as follows:  Clara N. Dalsmon born  1883 died 1891, Nels Peder Dalsmon born 1886, Ludvig Theodore born 1888, Clara born 1890. 

Then they move to Roberts County, South Dakota about 1895.  One more child was born there as follows:
John Edmer Dalsmon born in 1897.   The family was in the 1900 Roberts County Census but not located there in the 1920 Census.  Pauline and Hans were in the 1910 Roberts County, South Dakota Census.  Pauiine seems to travel and always be near Hans.

The family appears to split up.  In 1905 or so  Nils, Karl Anton and Nels Peder are found in Alberta Canada.  Pauline, Hans, John and Ludvig and Clara are found in Montana.  Nels Peder at times is found in Montana.  Nils and Karl who went by his middle name Anton buy land or homestead.  Nils died in Enchant, Lethbridge in 1923. Death date for Karl Anton is unknown. 

Hans, Ludvig and John never married.  Hans died in 1943 in Roberts County.  John and Ludvig both died in 1963 in Roberts County.  Clara married a Micheal Jozovich in Butte, Silver Bow County, Montana and lived there the rest of her life died in 1952.  Bolette Emily who went by Amelia appeared in Han's 1943 obituary that said she married a man with the last name of Hansen and still lived in Minnesota.  That is all the is known about her.  Nels Peder married Helga Svendsen and lived in Montana. 

The where abouts on Pauline are a mystery.  The last record I have on her is dated 1919 in Roberts Couny, South Dakota for a land purchase.  I have looked for her in the 1920 census but have been unable to locate her.  I have checked the Montana and South Dakota state death indexes and have not located her. 

The Dalsmon name has been spelled as Dalsmon, Delsmon and Dolsman.  Pauline's maiden name has been listed as Frederiksen and Frederiksdatter.

thanks for your help on any of the people above.

Pam

Jane C

Obit in Mtstandard.com
George Louis Jozovich died Thursday, Feb. 3, 2011...George was born on Oct. 5, 1925, to Michael and Clara Jozovich in Grass-range. He had one sister (Neka Watkins) and was the youngest of five brothers (Clarence, Jim, John, and Mike). George moved to Butte at the age of 2. Growing up in Butte during the depression years he held many jobs such as selling newspapers and working on a dairy in Elk Park or the family's mining claim in Rochester Basin to help the family see them through those hard times. When George turned eighteen he enlisted in the Navy and participated in the allied invasion at Omaha Beach in Normandy, France. He also re-enlisted for the Korean Conflict. George and all his four brothers served in World War II. During the war he lost two of his brothers. George returned to Butte in 1946 and worked for the Milwaukee Railroad.
Read more: http://mtstandard.com/news/local/obituaries/article_309fead6-31b0-11e0-a83b-001cc4c03286.html#ixzz1pI8hBkQ8

George's wife Lucille on Find-a-Grave:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Jozovich&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSst=28&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=47963906&df=all&

John P. Jozovich memorial on Find-a-Grave:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Jozovich&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSst=28&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=9619689&df=all&

Since two of Clara's sons died in World War II, this might be her son Mike: A Michael J Jozovich from Montana is memorialized in Honolulu, Hawaii, Cemetery of the Pacific. Ancestry.com

Find-a-Grave Poster "A Marine's Daughter" posted Lucille's memorial. Email marinesdaughtr@yahoo.com
"I look up obituaries for all of Montana and have access to death certificates on microfilm for Deer Lodge, Jefferson, Lewis and Clark, Silver Bow and a couple of other counties. "

Jane C

Link to World War II memorial marker in Charleston, South Carolina:
http://www.hmdb.org/Marker.asp?Marker=19170

USS Pringle
Launched at Charleston, S.C. on May 2, 1942. Lost to enemy action off Okinawa on April 16, 1945. [Lost in an 82-day-long battle, the Battle of Okinawa. It was the largest amphibious assault in the Pacific War of World War II.] Names on this memorial marker include Michael J. Jozovich.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Okinawa
------------------------------------------------------

A JOHN T. DELSMAN died 19 Aug 1948 in Olmsted County, Minnesota.
Minnesota Death certifidate id# 1948-MN-011175

Jane C

A survivor named in George's public obituary, James B., has a facebook page. It's easy to "message" a person on facebook.

A phone number and address for a daughter is found in a public news article at this link:
http://mtstandard.com/business/article_b3bfad93-88aa-5327-b472-4d8fec72b555.html

One of them may know more about Pauline, Amelia, etc. Or if not, they may be able to suggest someone in the extended family who has investigated their roots. I hope you'll contact one or both, then let us know if you still need help. I'll also check back to see if other forum members were able to add some information or ideas.

: D

Jane C

Don't know yet what the story is for your Dalsmon family, but my sense of the general trend, based on the little reading I just did, is that the areas they moved into and out of experienced boom-and-bust propserity. In the early 1900s, real estate and railroad developers and other capitalists promoted as-yet undeveloped lands in southwestern Alberta, Canada, and in northern Montana, USA (along the "Hi-Line"). Hearing of the golden opportunity of cheap and even free land, Americans including new immigrants from Europe hastened to try their hand at farming in this arid region. In Vulcan County, Alberta, an illustory period of boom settlement followed the aggressive marketing, which the area could not sustain. Harsh impoverishment followed in the 1920s and many settlers were eventually forced to leave.

[PDF]
Brush Creek Rural North Winnett - RootsWeb
www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mtpcpl/chapter-3-1.pdf

PDF]
l" - RootsWeb
www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mtpcpl/chapter-3-2.pdf

The above PDFs won't open for me, but both mention the Dalsmon family, seems to be "your" Dalsmons.

A Karl Dalsmon is found as a cattle rancher in Lomond, Vulcan County, Alberta, Canada, listed by
Bert Sheppard Stockmen's Foundation Library and Archives:
PO Box 459
Cochrane, Alberta
T4C 1A7
Phone: (403) 932-3782
E-mail: library@smflibrary.ca
http://www.smflibrary.ca/brandd.html

"Forgotten Alberta" is a wonderful newish blog about this area, with a place where you can post questions and comments. Lots of great social history articles, telling what life was like there for people in various eras. The 1920s article tells of terrible, terrible hardship.

Perhaps you could post a question about the Dalsmon family on this blog.
http://forgottenalberta.com/2010/10/11/ranching-along-the-%e2%80%9cbig-bow%e2%80%9d/

Peder Dalsmon in Vulcan [Vulcan County], Canada in 1916 (Lomond and town of Vulcan are about 28 miles apart)
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/pam_archives/public_mikan/index.php?fuseaction=genitem.displayItem&lang=fre&rec_nbr=1994419&back_url=()&&back_url=()

Jane C

About Pauline Fredericksdatter Dolsman

When her son Hans registered for the draft in 1917 (World War I), he listed "Mrs. Pauline Dolsman" as the person who should be his emergency contact. He gave her address as Winnett, Fergus County, Montana. Hans seems to be in Sisseton, Roberts, South Dakota and definitely listed his employer as Alfred Nelson there (I found the address line for Hans hard to read). In 1920 census, as you seem to know, Hans was still in Sisseton. In 1930 Hans is in School District 134, Petroleum County, Montana.  Like you, I didn't find Pauline either.

"O. J. 'Whisker' Davis homesteaded 8 miles south of Roy, Montana in the early 1900's. He married Alexzina LaRocque at Gilt Edge in 1909. They had 11 children....[Their daughter] Rose married Arnold Dolsman at an early age. They lived on farms near the home place also at Fergus and Grass Range and Roy.  ***Arnold was a horse trader at the time. They had 12 children· The oldest girl, named Vivian, died at age 2. The others were: Clinton, Kenny, Wayne, Melvin, Sharon, Gary, Curtis, Kay, Pam, Deanie and Harold" - as found on page 74, "Homestead Shacks Over Buffalo Tracks" as found on fergusmtgenweb (Fergus County Montana Gen Web)

***These place names correspond with the other places found (for example George Jozovich's obituary states he was born in Grass Range). Likely this Arnold is in your Dolsman family.

Not sure if you are still out there Pam, so I'll close now.

Jane C

Checking back, still quiet here.

Using Arnold Dolsman as a google search term, I see another post by a woman who asked elsewhere online about your family.  The poster requests an obituary of Arnold. Thus yes, Arnold certainly is in your extended family. (There's no need for me to investigate the relationship, because this is information you undoubtedly already have.) A responder, CadiListMom, found exactly the obituary desired, and posted it.  I'm uncertain her reply was ever seen; the poster does not return and say a big "Thank you"! Disappointing to CadiListMom, but perhaps the poster forgot about her request. Below is the link.  

http://boards.ancestry.com/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=2137&p=localities.northam.usa.states.california.counties.stanislaus

pam sanchez

Jane

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  I am still here.  You found some incredible things.  I am going to look them over one by one.  I emailed the cadi-list-mom.  Hopefully I hear back from her.

I am excited to find out more about the Jozovich Family.  I have often thought Clara may have alot of information or documents or her children.

I will be in touch soon.

Thanks for all your efforts on my behalf.

Pam

Jane C

Oh good - glad it helps. I thought it might all be stuff you know, so was nice to hear it adds some new information, especially since we haven't found the missing people you asked about.

Some more info about the extended family:

Dolsman Deaths from MONTANA Death List, in chronological order
Up to 1919, no Dolsman deaths reported; many deaths were not reported.
DOLSMAN, MARY E age 7 died 19 Feb 1928 : Fer 698 -  Born about 1921
DOLSON, THEODORE W age 20 died 17 May 1925 Blgs-1445 - Born about 1920
DOLSMAN, VIVIAN F  age 1 : died 6 Sep 1932 : Lstn 1438 - Born about 1931
DOLSMAN, ARTHUR S. age 31 died 16 Jun 1944 : Lstn 2779 - Born about 1913
DOLSMAN, Ronald E. age 5 died 4 June 1953 Index #2198
DOLSMAN, Helga died 10/5/1955 File #114, Fergus County
DOLSMAN, EMILY, K  died 3/14/1968 - 1528 - Yellowstone County 
DOLSMAN, Anthony M. died 9/5/1975 File #4638 Lewis and Clark County
DOLSMAN, Walter R. died 1/26/1992 Index #613 [Ancestry says Fergus County]
   Walter was a WWII Veteran, US Army - wife Loretta J. Dolsman in Lewiston, MT
   - brother to Arnold
   -Mrs. Loretta J. Dolsman of Lewiston Montana placed memorial in honor of Walter Dolsman at World War II museum in New Orleans
DOLSMAN, Melvin Eugene died 2006 in Park County - brother to Arnold
DOLSMAN, Carla Rae died 2009
-------------------------------
Burials at Ceres Memorial Park, Stanislaus County, California
1801 E. Whitmore Avenue
Ceres, CA  95307
Phone: 209-538-2898
Dolsman, Carl Arnold,  Sep 20,1910 - Feb 04,1969 Sec 37 Tr F Gr 2 born in.Sisseton, SD Br. inf Helen Rose Dolsman Father
Dolsman Helen Rose Apr 24,1914 - Dec 11, 1982 Resthn Tr 1 Lt 189 Br. inf Harold Dolsman  Mother & Grandmother
Douglas Sharon F. Sep 15,1941 -May 30,1980 Sec 75 Tr G Gr 1  born Montana MT Br. inf Harold Dolsman
-------------------------------
Online post 2009 from Mandy Knowles, in the guestbook of a website called Roy History.  Email: mandyleeknowles28@yahoo.com
I am the granddaughter of Arnold and Rose Dolsman. Thank you for putting information about them on your website. I don't know anything about them. Any information helps in my search.

I haven't got time to search for the actual website - maybe you can. Bye for now.

Jane C

Hans, Ludvig, Nels Peter
World War I registration - in case you don't have

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Jane C

Peter Dalsmon family described

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Jane C

POLENA BERG

Name:Ludwig T. Dolsman
Birth Date: 1 Sep 1888
Birth Place: Dodge, Minnesota
Race: White
Father's Name: Nels Dolsman
Father's Birth Place: Norway
Mother's Name: Polena Berg
Mother's Birth Place: Norway
FHL Film Number: 1316663

An alternate name for Paulina - might help in searching for her. I suppose, though that it's possible she died before the 1920 census and her death wasn't registered.

Jane C

An unread answer to a ten-year-old post! Got lost in the mail, it seems. : D

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/NORWAY/2002-08/1030814136