Was Charles George Hansen, born 1857, in USA?

Startet af Karsten Jacobsen, 18 Feb 2012 - 20:01

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Karsten Jacobsen

If, when and where. I will be very happy if you vil enclose the document. George Charles was a Dane, but he was born in Göteborg in Sweden.

Thanks a lot.

Best wishes
Karsten

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hej Karstan,

Here is a possibility.

Hej Karstan,

Here is what I believe is his emigration from Sweden

Emigranten Populär, 1783-1951 Swedish Emigration Records, 1783-1951 about Charles G Hansén
Name:    Charles G Hansén
Birth Year:    abt 1856
Place of Origin:    Amerika
Destination:    New York
Record Date:    19 nov 1886
Port of Departure:    Göteborg
Database Name:    EmiHamn
Occupation/Title:    Pastor
Archive Call Number:    30:345:987
Principal Person:    Hansén Charles G

On the manifest of the ship Romeo which sailed to Hull, England it says he was born in Amerika.  I have not figured out how to attach the manifest, but if you give me your e-mail address I will forward it to you.

mvh
Paul

Karsten Jacobsen

Hi Paul!

Age, name and departure harbor Göteborg are all perfect.

But my man need to be born in Göteborg(!), not in US, and I doubt my man was a pastor as I only know him as a seaman and sealer!

The time for the travel is also a few years to late. In 1886 I expect my man to be on the Falklands!

There are no others?

Thanks a lot/best wishes
Karsten

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hej Karsten,

I will search the American records for him and see what I can find.

mvh
Paul
North Carolina, USA

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hej Karsten,

I found this on ancestry.com but was unable to open the family tree.  I will try later.

Charles Hansen Falkland Islanders 2

Birth:  Abt 1857 - Gothenburg, Sweden
    Marriage:  Aug 14 1890 (14 Aug 1890)
    Death:  Sep 13 1934 (13 Sep 1934) - Falkland Islands
    Spouse:  Orrisa Kelway

mvh
Paul

Karsten Jacobsen

Hi, Poul!

That's the right Charles, born in Sweden 1857.

But he is mixed of with his son, also named Charles.

Charles I was married to a Sarah and died in 1891.

I don't know the name om Charles II, but I guess she maybe is "yours"  Orrisa Kelway. Charles the II died in... 1934.

Best wishes
Karsten

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hej Karsten,

Here is a better match for your Charles George Hansen.  He sailed on the ship Romeo on 22 Jul 1881.  He is 24 and sailing to Hull, England, final destination New York.  C. Hansen was born in Göteborg.

mvh
Paul

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hej Karsten,

I found this information about the Falkland Island archives.

According to a recent email exchange with Tansy Newman, the Acting Government Archivist for the Falklands Government, they expect to have an improved webpage up at some time in the near future.

In the meanwhile, if you are looking for invormation you can contact the archives at:
FIG Archives
Jeremy Moore Avenue
P O Box 687
Stanley
Falkland Islands
FIQQ 1ZZ

Tansy Newman
Acting Government Archivist
Falkland Islands Archives
Tel: +500 27249
Fax: +500 27259
E-mail: tnewman.archives@sec.gov.fk

mvh
Paul

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hej Karsten,

In looking at the Family Search records of my previous post I noticed this https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/SR9R-4ZN.  In the notes it says "Arrived in the Falkland Islands approx 1880 there is some doubt as to where he was born.On marriage Cert it says Sweden but in list of naturalisations from 1900 it says ` Native of Denmark` arrived 1880".  If this information is correct then Charles never came to the USA.  I think an e-mail to the Tansy Newman, the Acting Government Archivist can solve the problem.

mvh
Paul

Karsten Jacobsen

Thanks Paul!

I have tried to enclose a document, but it don't work! The document says Charles was "in America"(!), but as you can not find him, "Amerika" probably means "South America"!

I will contact the archieves you suggest.

Best wishes
Karsten

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hej Karsten,

From the Falkland Island records it looks as if he didn't die in 1891 but rather in 1934.  Good luck with your e-mailing the archives in the Falklands.

mvh
Paul

Karsten Jacobsen

No, one Charles Hansen died 1891 on Falklands, another Charles Hansen died 1934 also on Falklands. Two Charles Hansen are mixed up! The one who died 1891, was the one born 1857 in Sweden. The other Charles Hansen, the one who died in 1934, is the son of the first!

Best wishes
Karsten