Birth and baptism of Queen Margrethe II

Startet af Paul Londahl-Smidt, 07 Feb 2012 - 17:44

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Just for the fun of it, I decided to look up the birth and baptism of the Queen.  It  is in Holmen kirkebog 1927-1946, opslag 174 nr 5.

Med venlig hilsen
Paul

Lis Nielsen

Du har for meget tid Paul, hendes stamtræ er det mest kendte i hele DK.
Det skal du ikke bruge mere tid på. (ps jeg elsker vores kongehus)
Lis  :D

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hi Lis,

I remember going to a dinner at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel when King Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid visited the USA in 1960.  I am so thankful to my father for taking me to it and being able to see the Danish royal couple.  It was a night to remember, especially Victor Borge dressed in a purple tuxedo.

Another fond memory was a dinner for the Royal Danish Ballet.  I thought I would ask one of the ballerinas for a dance, so I asked my father how to ask for the pleasure of a dance in Danish.  He told me that just ask "Vil du gifte dig med mig".  I then asked one of the ballerinas "Vil du gifte dig med mig" and the entire table broke out in laughter.  They then asked me did I know what I had said.  I replied that I had asked if I could have the pleasure of a dance.  Of course they told me that I had asked if she would marry me and not could I have the pleasure of a dance.  What great memories.  My father was so proud of his Danish heritage but he also had a great sense of humor.

Med venlig hilsen
Paul

Arlene Mabis

Paul. I want to thank you for giving me a good laugh today.  That young lady must have been speechless when you asked her to marry you.  Your father also probably had a good laugh at your expense!!

Arlene (USA)

Lis Nielsen

You are just great Paul, thanks for the laugh.
We live in south Jutland near Gråsten slot, the royal family's summer residence .
They are often going to Åbenrå to the main street and one day when we (my oldest daughter and I, she was about 2 1/2 years old) was in the clothes shop in Åbenrå, she went just as quickly to a nice lady pulled down her bag and exclaimed VERY loud, close your bag. The lady was Queen Margrethe's sister Princess Benedickte, but she was a very sweet and chatted with her for a few minutes.
When they are in the South for the summer, we see them often on the street and almost always without Bodyguards.
when King Frederik IX lived,  you see him every morning riding through Gråsten, along with a companion, and my grandmother told me he was a really sweet person who greeted everyone, and she has often talked with him.

Victor Borge was a wonderful person

vh Lis

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hej Lis,

Thanks for sharing your wonderful  memories.  It is difficult to say how proud I am of my Danish heritage.  My father was always so proud of his place of baptism which was in Odense.  He wasn't so proud of the country of his birth, France.  His parents were there on business when he was born. 

In our house he always spoke English saying it was the language of his adapted home.  He became a lifetime member of the Royal Danish Yacht Club and also made sure that my brother and I lifetime members.  We had a 5 meter outboard boat and it always flew the Royal Danish Yacht Club flag even though he belonged to 2 American yacht clubs.  I still have the Royal Danish Yacht Club flag.  He also belonged to the Danish-American Society and the American-Scandinavian Society.  Every Christmas we would go to the American-Scandinavian Society Santa Lucia dinner dance.  Oh, such fond memories.

Med venlig hilsen
Paul