Looking for relatives from Møn with last name Vick/Vich/Wick/Wich in USA.

Startet af Grethe Langesøe Wich, 03 Feb 2012 - 22:20

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Jane C

Roger - I'll go look at Find-a-Grave to try to understand the problem of how to list this place on Find-a-Grave.

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Jane Christiansen Dato 20 Feb 2012 - 13:55
Roger - I'm deleting my answer and instead will go look at Find-a-Grave to try to understand the problem of how to list this place on Find-a-Grave.

Find-a-Grave does not provide the option of writing a city of your choice in the birth and death blocks, and their list of cities is incomplete for all countries.  But those blocks do not have to be used; the birth and death places can simply be listed in the Bio section.
Areas of interest:  Tønder county,  Brede, Daler, and Visby parishes
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=-skow-

Jane C

Okay, thanks Homer. So Roger, just add the grave to Denmark, and give the specific place name in the Bio section. Delete the Odense entry as that is inaccurate.

Roger Kenneth Vick

Sorry Jane but it doesn't work that way.  A cemetery location must list a city and so as I said I put in Odense, just to have a city.  The cemetery city will be changed when FAG adds the correct information in their database.

Yes, in birth and death locations you can leave it blank but you can't create a cemetery without putting in a city, even if it is wrong. 
Roger Kenneth Vick

Jane C

Ah, too bad - so silly. But I suppose it has been Americans setting up Find-a-Grave and Americans mostly using it.

Homer seems to say that one does not have to choose a city when entering a grave, and you seem to say it is required. I don't understand about that, but it's not important for me to understand since I am not entering memorials on Find-a-Grave.

Our suggestion to them is to add amts as categories instead of the Danish "cities." Their list is confusing for several reasons. Some of those city names are amt names, or both city and amt, like New York, New York: Aabenraa, Aarhus, Copenhagen/København, Frederiksborg, Odense, Randers, Ribe, and Roskilde. In some cases they are naming a region (For example, Juelsminde is a town but also an area - like the Midwest, or the Keys, or the Lakes District of upstate New York). Geographically descriptive terms could go on bio pages but don't serve well as the major, stable categories. The list includes terms that are not parallel in size (for example, Falster. A parallel situation would be if my place is named as a US state, and your place is named as a U.S. county without giving the state. Or maybe the Falster entry is referrring to the island Falster).

By using amt, Find-a-Grave would parallel the USA practice of using state as the main category within a nation.

Until or unless that change is made, it's as if they've put Boston in Nevada, Houston in New Jersey, and Seattle in North Carolina. The longer the situation continues, the more snarled their Danish-related database will become.

I'm writing all this in case you want to work with Find-a-Grave about the issue. Otherwise, we can realize the problem isn't all that bad since we do get Find-a-Grave hits from a simple Google search. And in the main, it remains true that Find-a-Grave has been an invaluable resource to family historians.

Here are the Danish amts. Americans change Danish spellings as follows: substitute ø = oe, æ = ae

Aabenraa
Aalborg
Aarhus
Bornholm
Frederiksborg
Færøerne
Grønland
Haderslev
Hjørring
Holbæk
Holsten
København
Maribo
Odense
Præstø
Randers
Ribe
Ringkøbing
Roskilde
Skanderborg
Sorø
Svendborg
Sydslesvig
Sønderborg
Thisted
Tønder
Vejle
Viborg

Jane C

Apparently there is a Danish Find-a-Grave site:

http://www.findengrav.dk/

That explains a lot about the inadequacy of the USA site re. Danish burials.

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Jane Christiansen Dato 23 Feb 2012 - 21:54
Apparently there is a Danish Find-a-Grave site:

http://www.findengrav.dk/

That explains a lot about the inadequacy of the USA site re. Danish burials.

But they don't list either Elmelunde or Stege.
Areas of interest:  Tønder county,  Brede, Daler, and Visby parishes
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=-skow-

Roger Kenneth Vick

You guys are making way too much of this cemetery city location thing.  Yes it needs to be corrected and I've now sent three separate emails to FAG and we will fix it.  Right now the cemetery has the wrong city listed but in the description I was able to put in the correct information, as I know it.

Homer is correct in that you don't have to list birth and death cities and you can write the information in the bio but cemeteries don't work that way.

We will correct it when we finally get in touch with the correct person at FAG and when that happens, as the creater of the Elmelunde Church Cemetery, I will correct the city.

Jane, thanks for the correct list of amts.  I sent that on to FAG too!

We'll get there.

Roger Kenneth Vick

Roger Kenneth Vick

Ole Brodersen, I'm one of those waiting for that list of 101 relatives.  Do you have it in a Family Tree Program or what format do you have it in?

Once we get this cemetery amts changed then maybe we can go on and find the sister that came to the US.  That would really be something.

Thanks everyone.  You've been a great help to me.
Roger Kenneth Vick

Roger Kenneth Vick

Got this email from FAG today and wanted to show you that they are working on the problem.

The following shows color coded status updates for international countries.
Blue - Primary cleanup complete, 1st level administration not active
Green - Primary cleanup complete, 1st level administration active, where applicable
Red - Defunct and marked for removal
* next to the country means it will contain 1st level administration when active

Preliminary Cleanup means assigning "States" to unassigned cemeteries and cities. Does not mean adding additional place names to the database. That is still to come.

Currently there are about 400,000 place names in the database. This number will rise to over 4 million as depth is added to international locations.

If you need to use an historical location, you should reference it in the bio of either the cemetery or memorial in question. Accounting for every border change over 10,000+ years is just not feasible.

Work continues on the background cleanup of "state" names in the database. This will remove duplicates from the list. For those countries which currently show a "state" level, you may see "z-" in the front or *dupe* or *delete* after the name. If you have previously used one of these now showing as such, it will revert to just the country name as the duplicate or inaccurate "state" is removed. Once this gets completed, I can start to update each countries place name database.

(This group is all blue)
Albania*
At Sea
Bahrain*
Burkina Faso*
Burma*
Cambodia*
Cook Islands
Cote D'ivoire*
Czech Republic*
Denmark*
Ethiopia*
Faroe Islands*
Fiji*
France*
French Guiana*
Gaza Strip*
Georgia*
Greece*
Guam*
Guernsey*
Guinea*
Hong Kong*
Hungary*
Iceland*
Jersey*
Kazakhstan*
Kosovo*
Laos*
Latvia*
Libya*
Lithuania*
Macau
Malawi*
Maldives*
Monaco*
Morocco*
New Zealand*
Nigeria*
Philippines*
Poland*
Puerto Rico
Rwanda*
Saint Pierre And Miquelon*
Serbia*
South Sudan*
Sudan*
Taiwan*
Togo*
Uganda*
Vanuatu*
Vietnam*
Western Sahara
West Bank*

(This group is all green)
Afghanistan (province)
Algeria (province)
American Samoa (district)
Andorra (parish)
Angola (province)
Anguilla
Antarctica
Antigua And Barbuda (parish)
Argentina (province)
Armenia (province)
Aruba
Ashmore and Cartier Islands
Australia (state)
Austria (state)
Azerbaijan (rayon)
Bahamas (district)
Baker Island
Bangladesh (division)
Barbados (parish)
Bassas Da India
Belarus (region)
Belgium (province)
Belize (district)
Benin (department)
Bermuda (parish)
Bhutan (district)
Bolivia (department)
Bosnia And Herzegovina (entity)
Botswana
Bouvet Island
Brazil (state)
British Indian Ocean Territory
British Virgin Islands (district)
Brunei (district)
Bulgaria (province)
Burundi (province)
Cameroon (region)
Canada (province)
Cape Verde (region)
Caribbean Netherlands (island)
Cayman Islands (district)
Central African Republic (prefecture)
Chad (region)
Chile (region)
China (province)
Christmas Island
Clipperton Island
Cocos (Keeling) Islands
Colombia (department)
Comoros (island)
Congo, Democratic Republic Of (province)
Congo, Republic Of The (department)
Coral Sea Islands
Costa Rica (province)
Croatia (county)
Cuba (province)
Curacao
Cyprus (district)
Djibouti (region)
Dominica (parish)
Dominican Republic (province)
East Timor (district)
Ecuador (province)
Egypt (governorate)
El Salvador (department)
England (county)
Equatorial Guinea (province)
Eritrea (region)
Estonia (county)
Europa Island
Falkland Islands
Federated States of Micronesia (state)
Finland (region)
French Polynesia (island)
French Southern and Antarctic (district)
Gabon (province)
Gambia, The (division)
Germany (state)
Ghana (region)
Gibraltar
Glorioso Islands
Greenland (municipality)
Grenada (parish)
Guadeloupe (arrondissement)
Guatemala (department)
Guinea-bissau (region)
Guyana (region)
Haiti (department)
Heard Island and McDonald Islands
Honduras (department)
Howland Island
India (state)
Indonesia (province)
Iran (province)
Iraq (governorate)
Ireland (county)
Isle of Man
Israel (district)
Italy (region)
Jamaica (parish)
Jan Mayen
Japan (prefecture)
Jarvis Island
Johnston Atoll
Jordan (governorate)
Juan De Nova Island
Kenya (province)
Kingman Reef
Kiribati (island)
Kuwait
Kyrgyzstan (province)
Lebanon (governorate)
Lesotho (district)
Liberia (county)
Liechtenstein (municipality)
Luxembourg (district)
Macedonia (region)
Madagascar (region)
Malaysia (region)
Mali (region)
Malta
Marshall Islands
Martinique (arrondissement)
Mauritania (region)
Mauritius (district)
Mayotte
Mexico (state)
Midway Islands
Moldova (district)
Mongolia (province)
Montenegro (municipality)
Montserrat (parish)
Mozambique (province)
Namibia (region)
Nauru (district)
Navassa Island
Nepal (zone)
Netherlands (province)
New Caledonia (province)
Nicaragua (department)
Niger (region)
Niue
Norfolk Island
North Korea (province)
Northern Ireland (county)
Northern Mariana Islands (municipality)
Norway (county)
Oman (governorate)
Pakistan (province)
Palau (state)
Palmyra Atoll
Panama (province)
Papua New Guinea (province)
Paracel Islands
Paraguay (department)
Peru (region)
Pitcairn Islands
Portugal (district)
Qatar (municipality)
Reunion (arrondissement)
Romania (county)
Russian Federation (federal subject)
Saint Barts
Saint Helena, Ascension and Tris (area)
Saint Kitts And Nevis (parish)
Saint Lucia (quarter)
Saint Martin
Saint Vincent And The Grenadines (parish)
Samoa (district)
San Marino (municipality)
Sao Tome And Principe (province)
Saudi Arabia (province)
Scotland (council area)
Senegal (region)
Seychelles (district)
Sierra Leone (province)
Singapore
Sint Maarten
Slovakia (region)
Slovenia
Solomon Islands (province)
Somalia (region)
South Africa (province)
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
South Korea (province)
Spain (community)
Spratly Islands
Sri Lanka (province)
Suriname (district)
Svalbard
Swaziland (district)
Sweden (county)
Switzerland (canton)
Syria (governorate)
Tajikistan (province)
Tanzania (region)
Thailand (province)
Tonga (division)
Trinidad And Tobago (corporation)
Tromelin Island
Tunisia (governorate)
Turkey (province)
Turkmenistan (province)
Turks And Caicos Islands (district)
Tuvalu
U.S. Virgin Islands (district)
Ukraine (province)
United Arab Emirates (emirate)
Uruguay (department)
Uzbekistan (province)
Venezuela (state)
Wake Island
Wales (council area)
Wallis And Futuna (kingdom)
Yemen (governorate)
Zambia (province)
Zimbabwe (province)

Bohemia (defunct) [Use Czech Republic]
Czechoslovakia (defunct) [Use Czech Republic or Slovakia]
Holland (defunct) [Use Netherlands]
Prussia (defunct)
Yugoslavia (defunct) [Use Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, or Slovenia]

11-22-2010
Name updates to:

Northern Ireland (Ulster) ---> Northern Ireland
Virgin Islands ----> U.S. Virgin Islands

12-12-2010

Name Update to:

St. Helena ---> Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha

01-06-2011

Name Update to:

Micronesia ---> Federated States of Micronesia

05-02-2011

Countries Removed
Cook Islands (Defunct) (use Cook Islands)
Man, Isle of (Defunct) (use Isle of Man)
No Mans Land (Defunct)
Oceans (Defunct) (use At Sea)
Undersea Features (Defunct)

Countries Added
Saint Barthélemy
Curaçao
Caribbean Netherlands
Saint Martin
Sint Martin

Marked Defunct
Netherland Antilles

05-03-2011

Countries Removed

Netherland Antilles (Defunct)
Sicily (Defunct) (Use Italy, Sicilia)

Country Added
South Sudan
Roger Kenneth Vick

Lise Østerberg Bahr

Hello Roger.

I am interested, would like to be invited.

Thanks in forward.

Regards from
I. LISE ØSTERBERG BAHR
e-mail: ilha@sol.dk

fam.resurch after: (look also fam.names in www.Adelby.com - Bahr, Detlefsen, Christophersen, Richertsen, Hinrichsen, HORN/Vilhelm Hansen/ Grosse Strasse.

TAPETENFABRIK von Bahr in Flensburg

and more from area around the town FLENSBURG, HAMBURG (ALTONA) and in Schleswig Holstein, like Eckernförde, in Bildschau and Sankelmark, Carsten Samuel Wilhelm was Gastwirt and Amtsvorsteher = in German) a kind of head of the city.

Millmen in Mills in (HUSBY MÜHLE, Dollerup (Mühle),  Munkbrarup, Hodderup and died in Grossen Wiehe.

Reated: ÅBENRÅ, TØNDER, HADERSLEV m.m. (from 1920 danish again) -GENFORENINGEN in 1920. look also for the story of HARMONIEN, 1799 - 1849 - 1949 - of SELSKABET HARMONIEN, HADERSLEV (BORGERFORENINGEN). maby startet by Carsten Samuel Vilhelm Bahr in Flensburg once.

Vest Indies like Sct. Croix.

look also for:
BAHR RELATET FAMILIES: from Hamburg Altona like:
BAHR UND GERKENS Goldenleistenfabrik now a Museum, Bahr und Gerkens.

Thomsen/Hansen/Bahr family in Petersdorf on Fehmarn, PETERS MÛHLE = Peters Mill).
for:
look also for:

Maria Amalia Christina  and Carsten Samuel Bahr 1789 in Stendten Mühle (Stendten Mill) related to Johan Friedrich von Zepelin 1798. Son Melchior Johann von Zepelin zu Dargun, and Charlotte Magdalene born von Walsleben. (STAMMTAFEL BAHR).

Walsleben (Zepelin zu Dargun) und/Bahr in Mecklenburg,
look also for:
Major - Overloutennant, who calls him selv FEHRINGSCHILD = Christian Fehring from Hennstedt (in the year 1677) / Bahr
for:

Claus Hinsellmann 1627 in Neumünster - member of (in german =Tuchmachergilde - (a kind of af union for CLOTHING - and remenber the ships (Sails).

AND 15 children and 45 grandchildren went to USA -
Illwakee, Wisconsin. about the year 1900 + ./.

Not quite confirmed:
in Nørlyng, Viborg, (Sorte Brødre) = Abildgaard Schrøder/Fog, stepparrents to Johan Peter Egvad Østerberg./Helsingør his father Lars Østerberg maby came from Sveden.

I could use some help - about this - can explain nessasarry details later- and I am looking for SCHRØDER FAMILY - like PER SCHRØDER m.fl. about  1.5 YEAR AGO.

ØSTERBERG and Bahr in Øster Farimagsgade 24 or 27.
My great grandmother Marie Cecilie Louise Bahr, came from FLENSBURG married Niels André Østerberg about 1896 ? - where the house also was build.

Lise Østerberg Bahr

and in Husby in Handewitt, the HÔCK brothers Peter Höck, born 1.1.1837 in Markerup,  på and Maria Lorentzen Post 1845 (22.2.1845  married) and Claus Erich Möck, born 1.7.1839 Markerup married to Meta Catharina OTZEN, who byed our great great grandfather out of the MILL in 1865 after the War - the DÛBBØL war.

One of the names here :
=
Hans Joannes Martensen, Jacob, 20-..3.1875, marries in Medelby Anna Maria Nissen. (look Anna Christina Bahr, Nissen Jensen family/ www.alsnissen.dk)

kind regards from
Lise Østerberg Bahr

Roger Kenneth Vick

Been awful quiet on here since we made contact.

I'm still waiting for those pictures.  Hope you and your son are not having health problems.
Roger Kenneth Vick

Lis B. Jensen

Hi Roger

I spoke to Grethe 1/4-2012 - and there she was well. i Have tried to call her - but maybe she is out of the house for Easter.

I will Try again to morrow
Lis B. Jensen
Ses i Legacy Forum: http://legacydansk.com og
https://vordingborglokalarkiv.dk/

Lis B. Jensen

Hi Roger

have just Spoken to Grethe - she is Okay - but are still strgling a litlle after her ilness - and her 80th Bitrhday has also taken energy.

I should send Yoy her regards and tell You tahat she haven't forgot the pictures - but they have to find a way to send them for you.

Hope she returns with an answer to You.

Happy Easter fro Denmark
Lis B. Jensen

Roger Kenneth Vick

Thanks so much Liz,

I'm not trying to rush her.  I can handle the photos any way she has access to them.  If we need to go to a photo studio and get them copied, I will gladly pay for doing that or they can be sent by email.  Whichever is easier for her.

Thanks again.
Roger Kenneth Vick

Lis B. Jensen

Hi Roger

I am sure Grethe will get hold at how to do it - and send them for You. If it's nessecary I will go and help her in some way.
Lis B. Jensen

Roger Kenneth Vick

A great big thank you to Grethe for sending me pictures of individuals and photos of wedding certificates and such.  It was really a pleasure to see this information and to corresponde with her.

Now I'm getting more and more interested in trying to chase down Christiana, the daughter of Hans Peter, Mads & Christian, who reported came to America too.  I've heard Chicago area but have no records to support that idea.  The more I think about it, I'm pretty sure that the nephew in America with the wedding photo of Hjalmer and his wife has to be a son of Christiana who came to America.  It makes it really difficult to search from this end because we don't know Christiana's married name.  We'll just keep hoping.

Thanks everybody for all your help and encouragement.
Roger Kenneth Vick

Roger Kenneth Vick

While looking for information on Christiana with a son called Hjalmer in US, I found this information on Ancestry and there were some things that really caught my interest.  Spruce Hill, Douglas, Minnesota is the place where Hans Peter and Mads both settled and married and started their families.  Birth year for Christiana would be 1855 and her actual birth date should be 1847 and her parents should have been born in Denmark, I think although we're not sure about that.  They came from the Holstein area of Germany but not sure that is where they were born.

Name Hjalmer is a very unusual name here in America and Christiana is spelled slightly different but that is not unusual.

Also we have always had an Auntie Peterson, who was a cousin of Hans Peter and Mads Vick that we have never been able to identify for sure because we don't know her first name. 

Name:   Hjalmer A Peterson
Birth Year:   abt 1896
Birthplace:   Minnesota
Race:   White
Home in 1930:   Spruce Hill, Douglas, Minnesota
Marital Status:   Married
Relation to Head of House:   Head
Spouse's Name:   Hanna E Peterson
Father's Name:   Peter G Peterson
Father's Birthplace:   Sweden
Mother's Name:   Christina L Peterson
Mother's Birthplace:   Sweden