Looking for relatives from Møn with last name Vick/Vich/Wick/Wich in USA.

Startet af Grethe Langesøe Wich, 03 Feb 2012 - 22:20

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Roger Kenneth Vick

If the photo is of Hans Peter's child, it is probably this one.

Olof Calmer (Cal) Vick was the second of nine children born of Hans Peter Vick and Maren G Hoff (Huff) Vick.

Olof Calmer (Cal) Vick married Estella (McDonald) Vick on March 28, 1901 at St Pauls Church in Mooreton, North Dakota.

They had three children. Leone, Clarice and Clinton Calmer Vick.

Fred would have been the oldest child of Hans Peter Vick.
Roger Kenneth Vick

Roger Kenneth Vick

In requesting burial information and dates and places of birth and death, I omitted some that I know you probably know personally.

Clara Vick
Gerda Vick
Torben Wich
Vilhelmine Nielsen Vick
Ruth Nielsen (Wich)
Borge Nielsen (Wich)  Don't know which last name they used.

Anything at all that you can give me would be a great help.  The data doesn't have to be complete.

Roger Kenneth Vick

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Grethe Langesøe Wich Dato 03 Feb 2012 - 22:20
Christiane Marie Wich/Vich christened in Keldby church  on the Isle of Møn/Moen 14 April 1847.
She left for America/Chicago 15. April 1875.

Grethe, it's a shame we can't also find what happened to Christiane to complete the family:
What is your source that she left for Chicago?

I note she is only listed as Christiane Marie Hansdatter in all Keldby records, and not as Vick/Wich, and wondered if this could be her on above date?:

Name:  Hansen, Maren Kirstine Occupation:  Tjenestepige
Contract no.:  57300 Registration date:  4/15/1875
Last res. parish:  ? Last res. county:  Præstø
Last residence:  Kallerup, Møen, Præstø Destination country:  USA
Destination city:  Chicago Destination state:  Illinois
Name of ship:  Indirekte
IDcode:  I7477H0722
Areas of interest:  Tønder county,  Brede, Daler, and Visby parishes
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=-skow-

Jane C

Homer, Grethe says Christiane left for America/Chicago 15. April 1875 - perhaps she is basing that statement on the record you found.

Hjalmar can't be Mads's child - since the person who sent it calls him "my oldest brother," and Mads's oldest son is Christian Fred Vick.

I didn't find a Hjalmar with a Danish-born mother the day I looked for him (his first name is distinctive enough that I thought it was worth a try).

:(

Roger Kenneth Vick

Hello Grethe,

Thought I posted this yesterday but somehow it didn't show up on the site.  Might have posted to some other location in the site.

I've done a lot of work with Find a Grave web site and I've added all the people you listed in your message but I'm lacking a lot of information.  Birth and death dates and locations and location of burial and name of cemetery.

I'm not sure about the proper way to list married names but my practice is to list the maiden name in () and show the wife with the last name of her husband, so that in the records, the husband and wife will be listed together.  Not sure about some of the Danish names and spelling either, so please feel free to correct me wherever they need to be changed.  If anyone in your family is interested in helping with the records on Find a Grave, I would be more than willing to transfer ownership of your family memorials to them so that they can control what is posted and add histories or whatever they desire in memorial to our loved ones.

These are the names where I would like more information when you have the opportunity.

Christiane Marie Vick 1839 - 1844
Vilhelmine Kirstine Nielsen Vick
Clara Vick
Gerda Vick
Olga (Vick) Nielsen
Martin Nielsen
Ruth Wich (Don't know if she dropped the Nielsen or not)
Borge With (Don't know if he dropped the Nielsen or not)
Torben With

Anxiously awaiting photos when Lars comes to help you.  Will they be posted on this site or will you email them to us?  Several people have mentioned the photo with the name of Hjalmar and I though maybe it was posted on this web site somewhere and I just didn't know how to find it.

If Lars would like an invite to the Vick Family Reunion web site at MyFamily.com, so he can check it out for you, just give me a shout.  All I need to send an invite is the email address and first and last name.
Roger Kenneth Vick

Roger Kenneth Vick

Now I see what has happened.  It switched over to page two.  Sorry for the duplication.

Roger Kenneth Vick

Grethe Langesøe Wich

Dear Jane, Homer and Roger.
In a few days Lars will come ,and then you will get photos of Hans Peder, Christiane and a lot more. just be patience!
Hilsen, Grethe.

Roger Kenneth Vick

It is very hard to be patient after so many years of looking for data on Christian, but I understand and thank you very much and will wait for your information with loving kindness.

God Bless you.
Roger Kenneth Vick

Grethe Langesøe Wich

Dear Jane and Roger.
First: Lars is working on a photoseries. He has had the flu and his energi is on a low level, and so is mine. 24.12.2011 I was taken  to the hospital because of a gastric ulcus. I lost a lot of blood.
I am tired and my hands are shaking, but nut so much as a month ago.
15.3.2012 is my 8o-years birthday but now we have cold, very cold and snowy weather - from Russia ! -

Marthe Hansdatter, the mother of Hans Christian Frederiksen Vich, was born in Raabylille and baptized in Elmelunde Church 1.4.1789.
She died 29.1.1875,buried 3.2.1875 in Elmelunde at the age of 85 3/4 years.

Her parents:
Farmer Hans Nielsen in Raabylille, baptized 4.10.1761 in Elmelunde ch.
married 10.10.1875                                                          -"-
died 13.1.1837  and

Anna Larsdatter, baptized 31.4.1764 in Elmelunde
died 10.1.1841 in Raabylille, burried in Elmelunde ch.

Next time you will get more.
Love, Grethe.

Roger Kenneth Vick

Grethe, thanks so much for your efforts to provide information and photos.  Sorry you are not feeling so good.  Please take your time and do not overspend your energies.

I'm having trouble locating a cemetery called Elmelunde cemetery.  Is the cemetery at the church? Is it still an actively used cemetery?  Even though the cemetery is at the Elmelunde church maybe it has another official name.  I would appreciate anybody that could help on this information.

Thanks to all.

Roger Kenneth Vick

Lissa Pedersen

Hi Roger,

Use www.maps.google.com - write "Elmelunde kirkegaard" - and you will find the place. You can also use the satellite view.

Found another option: http://familiensen.dk/showmap.php?cemeteryID=5&tree=tree1

You could also Google "Elmelunde kirke" (kirke = church) and find nice photos, e.g. http://www.keldbyelmelundekirke.dk/

Lissa

Roger Kenneth Vick

Thanks Lissa,

I've already found those things but they are all about the church and not the cemetery.  Maybe the cemetery is old old old and not in use anymore, but surely it has a name of it's own.
Roger Kenneth Vick

Roger Kenneth Vick

Also when I am trying to input a city of birth or death in the Find a Grave web site, it doesn't list Elmelunde as a city.  Is it part of a larger parish or state like in the US.  They have Copenhagen and many other towns listed but not Elmelunde or Kelby.

Guess I need an education on Denmark.

Thanks.
Roger Kenneth Vick

Lissa Pedersen

Hi Roger,

Didn't you use www.maps.google.com. You will see Elmelunde church and the graveyard from the air using the aerial view/satellite. I have from this website: http://www.dk-gravsten.dk/Praestoe-amt.php that the churchyard has been reserved by a person for taking photos.

The zipcode for the village Elmelunde is 4780 Stege.

Lissa

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Roger Kenneth Vick Dato 12 Feb 2012 - 22:33
Also when I am trying to input a city of birth or death in the Find a Grave web site, it doesn't list Elmelunde as a city.  Is it part of a larger parish or state like in the US.  They have Copenhagen and many other towns listed but not Elmelunde or Kelby.

Roger, Find A Grave's listing of towns and cities is not complete even for USA and probably never will be.  When posting memorials I just list the specific place in the biography section.

You can also add Elmelunde as a new cemetery and even include a map using the GPS coordinates listed in the link that Lissa posted:  Breddegrad [Latitude]: 54.994937639510994, Længdegrad [Longitude]: 12.400989532470703

You may also be surprised as I was to learn that individual gravesites and markers are not usually permanent in Denmark as in USA, and are reused.

Roger Kenneth Vick

Okay.  Thanks Lissa,

From that Google view I can see the church and what looks like a large cemetery.  I've done a Google search for the Elmelunde cemetery and nothing shows up, so I think the cemetery must have another official name.  

When I did the Google search there was a woman's name and then Stege, Denmark.  Does that mean anything special in Denmark.

Find a Grave web site has a pretty complete listing of cemeteries and it's not listed there unless it is under another name.  Also when I go to put in cities in Denmark, they come up with this list but this can't be all the cities in Denmark, I don't think.

Here is the list.  Maybe it will make sense to you.

Aabenraa
Aarhus
Assens
Billund
Copenhagen
Darum
Esbjerg
Frederikssund
Frederiksvaerk, Frederiksborg
Gentofte
Haarstler
Hejls
Hellebaek
Holse
Horsholm
Hundborg
Juelsminde
Korsor
Leire
Morresundby, Aalborg
Nykobing, Falster
Odense
Ramlose
Randers
Ribe
Ringsted
Roskilde
Rudkobing
Rundsted
Silkeborg
Taasinge
Tibirke
Vederso
Vinderod, Hovedstaden Region
Voksleu

Probably mis-typed some of those names but that are all the cities or areas listed.  Is Elmelunde in one of those areas?
Roger Kenneth Vick

Roger Kenneth Vick

Yes, Homer,

Thanks.

I'm aware of the missing cities in overseas areas but never have I found one in the US that is missing.  Even if it were missing I could go to Find a Grave and have them add it but I don't feel comfortable adding things in a foreign country because I don't understand the language or how things are done there.  I could add the Elmelunde Cemetery but still feel there is some meaning to that list of name such as states or districts or precincts and don't want to create duplicates.  I've done that before too and then had to go back and have them corrected.

No, I didn't know that gravesites were reused in Denmark.  That makes it kind of hard to get photos of gravesites or even to know where the gravesite is located in the cemetery.
Roger Kenneth Vick

Lissa Pedersen

Hi Roger,

Didn't you see this on the website I gave you (I have added the words in the brackets):

Mønbo herred (district) (Præstø county).

Bogø kirkegård. Bogø sogn. 
   Borre kirkegård. Borre sogn. 
   Damsholte kirkegård. Damsholte sogn. 
   Elmelunde kirkegård (cemetery). Elmelunde sogn (parish).    Reserveret = RESERVED
   Fanefjord kirkegård. Fanefjord sogn. 
   Keldby kirkegård. Keldby sogn. 
   Magleby kirkegård. Magleby sogn. 
   Nyord kirkegård. Nyord sogn. 
   Stege kirkegård. Stege sogn. 

Lissa

Roger Kenneth Vick

Okay.

I didn't know what kirkegård meant.

Thanks. I'll add the cemetery to Find a Grave.
Roger Kenneth Vick

Jane C

Hi Grethe and Roger, So nice of you, Grethe, to post about the family, and for Lars to work on the photos. It is interesting to read all you have written. Thank you!! I also send you my best wishes and hopes for you to feel better, and Lars too!

Roger - Everyone has been so helpful. Are your questions answered? Maybe yes! If so, ignore the following.

The place name is Elmelunde Kirkegaard, Elmelunde Sogn, Mønbo Herred, Præstø Amount, Denmark (Europe, Earth, Milky Way).   :P

I just checked Find a Grave - and see Elmelunde Cemetery added as a place in Odense Amount. This should say Præstø Amount.

When Grethe says Anna Larsdatter is "buried in Elmelunde ch" she means churchyard, as you write, and as you say, that's the same as kirkegaard (also spelled kirkegård). People are buried right there at the church, in the churchyard. Kirkegaard thus often stands as a synonym for cemetery. Seems like you understand this, but I'm not entirely sure.

A Danish sogn (parish) is not just a church congregation - in the sense that many Americans use the term congregation/parish. Sogn is a political designation. Like the county courthouse in an American county, the church building was the place where the births, deaths, marriages etc. were recorded for the area/district. Bear in mind that church and state were not separated as they are for us in America.

So your ancestor is buried at Elmelunde church within Elmelunde sogn, and this Elmelunde sogn is in Mønbo herred, and Mønbo herred is within Præstø Amount.

Attached - a map of Denmark with the amounts shown.

Warm best wishes

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Jane C

At a quick glance - I don't see a place from the Find-a-Grave list that is in Praesto Amount.

Lissa Pedersen

Hi,

Amount ?

County = amt in Danish (district = herred, parish = sogn)

(Præstø amt)

Lissa

Ole Brodersen

Hello Grethe!

After comming home from vacation I took a look about the Vick family. I don't have Vick in my database, but I have 101 ancersters to Martha Hansdatter, because she longer back goes into my own family.

If you want I can send them to you and the other who is interested.

I have all my fathers family on Møn, and have looked for them since 1996, so I have a lot in my database, because I have helped other people all over the world.

Kind regards

Jeanne Raae Brodersen

Jane C

Lissa, I am not sure where I got that from, thinking amt was an abbreviation for amount, but I'll check (I have a certain cousin in mind) so we will all learn from this. Thank you so much!

Frode Pedersen

Hello Wick family!

I have for a long time searched for ancestors to Dorthea Elisabeth Wick. She was born about 1773, she married Zacharias Bruun in Skælskør 1796.01.02 and she died 1805.01.30.

I would be very happy to receive any information.

Best greatings
Frode
Venlig hilsen
Frode Pedersen

Roger Kenneth Vick

Thanks Jane for the map and explaination.

I created the Elmelunde Church Cemetery in Find A Grave but in order to create a cemetery in their database you have to designate a city and the closest one I could find was Odense, so I used that and send an email to have FAG add more cities to their list.  Haven't seen anything from them but will update the cemetery as soon as I get the right data into their database.

I don't find anything in the list of FAG names for Denmark that will let me identify the city where the cemetery is located.  There is a village of Elmelunde on the Google map.

Elmelunde Kirkegaard, Elmelunde Sogn, Mønbo Herred, Præstø Amount, Denmark

I'm still working to try and find the correct city name.  I typed the entire list from FAG and nothing on it makes sense to me.

Roger Kenneth Vick

Lissa Pedersen

Hi Roger,

The closest city is Stege - see my earlier posting: "The zipcode for the village Elmelunde is 4780 Stege".  Odense is far away on the island of Funen - an island between Sealand and Jutland.

Lissa

Roger Kenneth Vick

I'm not sure I understand the difference between city and village.  I found the village of Elmelunde and the church in the village.  Yet others say it should be Præstø Amount, Denmark.

In US terminalogy I would say that the Elmelunde Church is in the village of Elmulunde, Denmark.

Where does Præstø Amount, Denmark fit into the whole picture.
Roger Kenneth Vick

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hi Roger,

Even though they are not the same, think of it this way.

Town - kirke (parish)
County - herred
State - amt (not amount)

Sincerely,
Paul

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Paul Londahl-Smidt Dato 20 Feb 2012 - 03:58
Hi Roger,

Even though they are not the same, think of it this way.

Town - kirke (parish)
County - herred
State - amt (not amount)

Sincerely,
Paul

Paul, I interpret amt as county:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counties_of_Denmark

https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Danish_Herred