Looking for relatives from Møn with last name Vick/Vich/Wick/Wich in USA.

Startet af Grethe Langesøe Wich, 03 Feb 2012 - 22:20

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Grethe Langesøe Wich

My late husbands grandfather had a brother: Hans Peder Hansen Wich/Vich  born 21. March 1842 at Tostrup Vængesgård on the Isle of Møn/Moen. He  went to AMERICA in 1869, as far as I know. It is told, that he  went to Chicago.
Hans Peder had a sister Christiane Marie Wich/Vich christened in Keldby church  on the Isle of Møn/Moen 14 April 1847.
She left for America/Chicago 15. April 1875.
From a photo we can ,see that Hans Peder had a son - Hjalmer -who  married  in America.
Grethe Langesoe Wich

Homer Ficken

Hi Grethe,

Who were Hans Peter's parents?  A family tree on Ancestry lists a pretty close match:

Hans Peter Vick
Birth:  21 Jan 1842 - Denmark
Death:  21 Jul 1908 - Richland, North Dakota, USA
Marriage:  14 Sep 1874 - Willmar, Kandiyohi, Minnesota, USA
Spouse:  Maren Huff  

Here is the family in U.S. census:

1900 census Garfield, Richland County, North Dakota
Peter Vick, Jan 1841 Denmark, married 26 years, to USA 1870, Farmer
Maryan Vick, Apr 1851 Norway, to US 1863
Fred Vick, Sep1875 Minnesota
Ole Vick, Dec 1876 "
Marthie Vick, Oct 1879 "
Walter Vick, Sep 1881 "  
Carl Vick, Aug 1886 North Dakota
Viter Vick, Feb 1888 "  "
Osker Vick, Jun 1891 " "

And here is Hans Peter's gravesite, with a biography that lists his parents and grandparents:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=vick&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSst=30&GScnty=1789&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=16062192&df=all&

EDIT:   It appears the gravesite has the wrong parents listed, as Keldby 1836-1867 opslag 15 shows that Hans Peder Hansen Vich born 21 January 1842 was the son of Hans Christian Frederiksen Wich and Karen Pedersdatter!
Areas of interest:  Tønder county,  Brede, Daler, and Visby parishes
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=-skow-

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Homer Ficken Dato 04 Feb 2012 - 00:12

EDIT:   It appears the gravesite has the wrong parents listed, as Keldby 1836-1867 opslag 15 shows that Hans Peder Hansen Vich born 21 January 1842 was the son of Hans Christian Frederiksen Wich and Karen Pedersdatter!

My error, I read the grandparents listed instead of parents...

If this turns out to be the right Hans Peter Vich, Roger Vick who posted the biography is obviously a descendant:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=mr&MRid=46868454

Homer Ficken

This data from Roger Vick's website confirms that the Hans in North Dakota is the one that Grethe lists:

"Mads Hansen Vick was born on the 2nd of October in 1844 in Moen Taustrup, Vengesgaard, Denmark. He had at least two brothers. Hans Peter Vick was born in Denmark in January of 1842 and died in Richland County, North Dakota. Christian Vick, who according to family legend, joined the military and wasn't heard from again. All three brothers lived in Minnesota at one time before Hans Peter moved to Richland County, North Dakota to homestead."

Mads Hansen Vich's birth = Keldby 1836-1867 opslag 23 no 22

Email response from Roger Vick:

Thank you so much for forwarding this information to me.  I would dearly love to make contact with Grethe Langesøe Wich

Yes, I believe we must be related.

(Roger's email address is listed on his website)

Jane C

This is the most fun and most amazing post I've seen on the forum. Homer, you've found a fantastic biography of this family, moving from your original research to find it, and you've already gotten in touch with the poster, a descendant, as well!

Big smile.   :D

Grethe hit the jackpot.

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Jane C

In case Grethe would enjoy seeing original records

Spruce Hill, Douglas, Minnesota

Peter Vick  35

Mary A. Vick  33

Christian F. Vick  5

Ole C. Vick  4

Martin C. Vick  3

Martha Vick  1

Roger Kenneth Vick

Yes, Yes, Yes

I believe we must be related.  Hans Peter Vick was my grandfather.

Would love to contact you.

Roger Kenneth Vick

Lis Nielsen

it's just wonderful when something like this succeed ..... Homer, you did it again, you're a pure Hary Potter, I think Grethe is surprised when she logs on ;D
vh Lis

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Lis Nielsen Dato 04 Feb 2012 - 08:45
it's just wonderful when something like this succeed ..... Homer, you did it again, you're a pure Hary Potter, I think Grethe is surprised when she logs on ;D
vh Lis

No, I just got lucky, Roger has done all the work and even had Hans Peter's children listed on the grave marker:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=16062192&PIpi=4253028

And also on Ancestry's WorldConnect:

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:3317088&id=I0717

I wonder which son was Hjalmer that Grethe lists?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can not find an 1875 ship manifest or other listing of the sister Christiane Marie, or any sign of the brother Christian in USA.

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Homer Ficken Dato 04 Feb 2012 - 12:19

I can not find an 1875 ship manifest or other listing of the sister Christiane Marie, or any sign of the brother Christian in USA.

Grethe lists Hans Peter as a brother of her husband's grandfather:  Hans Peter and Mads Hansen Vick both died in USA, so unless there was another brother not yet named her husband's grandfather must have been Christian?

Roger Kenneth Vick

I am most anxious to find the connection between her husband's grandfather and Hans Peter and Mads Hansen Vick.  I didn't know there was another brother and of course we have never been able to trace the sister that came to Chicago as when they marry, the name changes and that ends that line of search.

We found the ship that Hans Peter Vick came over to US in 1869 but have never been able to locate ship that Mads came on.

Our family history says that Christian joined the military in the US and the three brothers separated with Mads and Hans going to Minnesota and then North Dakota.  We have no record of Christian after that.  Wonder if he returned to Denmark!

Have lots of questions when Grethe signs on again.  Would like to know more about the sister, Christiane Marie Wich/Vich.

Roger Kenneth Vick

Jane C

Homer, I wondered too, about Christian and about the name Hjalmar. I don't see Hjalmar as a son of Mads (which could have been a confusion).

About Christian -

Roger, I see on your website that you quote the genealogy of Erik Wulff. I haven't checked Erik's site. Your site is at http://www.rvick.com/

"Christian Frederic Hansen Vick was born on 25 Feb 1850 in Keldby Sogn, Præstø Amt."

Christian just misssed the census, as I believe it was made 01 February.

Præstø, Mønbo, Keldby, Tostrup Bye /:med Vengesgaarden:/, Et Huus, 153, FT-1850, B9442
Hans Christian Frederiksen 38 Gift Parcellist, Væver Holsteen
Karen Pedersdatter 30 Gift hans Kone h: i S:
Hans Peder Hansen 8 Ugift Deres Børn h: i S:
Mads Hansen 6 Ugift Deres Børn h: i S:
Christiane Hansdatter 3 Ugift Deres Børn h: i S:

Jane C

Hi Roger,

I guess I was writing my post when you posted, so didn't see your latest. Yes, it would be nice to find the sister. And maybe Grethe will have the answer about Christian.

Also, a clue in US census or military records could MAYBE be the name "Fred." Mads Hansen had a son Christian who was called Fred: "On the 18th of August in 1879, Christian F. Vick (Also known as Fred) was born to Mads and Karen in Willmar Township, near Willmar, Minnesota." The nickname no doubt comes from the family name of Frederik, which was also the middle name of Mads's brother Christian.

The family history (written by Nancy E) says Mads came from "Moen Taustrup, Vengesgaard, Denmark." So to be more precise would be to say he came from Vengesgaarden (a farm or estate I guess) at Tostrup bye/village in Keldby sogn/parish, Mønbo herrred/district, Præstø amount/county.

Vengesgaarden (or Vængesgaard), Tostrup bye, Keldby, Mønbo, Præstø, Denmark.

This place is on the island of Møn (also spelled Moen), but the island name is not part of the political divisions name (not used in searching records).

Don't know if that's helpful here, now, but maybe sometime some reader would like to know that.

A Christian F. Vick married Anna Christensen 3 Jun 1903 in Hennepin County, Minnesota (location of the twin cities Minneapolis/St. Paul)

A Christian Frederick Vick died 24 Dec 1925 in Ramsey County, Minnesota (location of Minneapolis/St. Paul).

Maybe that's Mads's son....

Jane C

Oh, also, Nancy's report mentions the death of Mads 24 June 1899. She says the Willmar Argus (newspaper) wrote that "Several relatives of the late Mr. Vick came up from Minneapolis to attend the funeral."

It would be common to say someone came up from Minneapolis even if the person technically lived in Saint Paul (it's one big city).

Attached is Christian F. Vick World War I draft registration. His nearest relative is Anna.
He is born 16 Sep 1874. He lives in Saint Paul, Ramsey, Minnesota.

So this is the son of Hans Peter Vick and Maren Hoff/Huff. He's called Christian F. Vick in the 1880 census and just FRED in the 1900 census.

Jane C

The family is listed in the Danish Demes Project ("a Regional DNA Project for Danish Americans and Danes around the World").

http://danishdemes.org/FGS/V/VickHansPeter-MarenGHuff.html

Amazing.

;D

Lis B. Jensen

Hi All

Just spoke to Grethe - she is very excited - and will answer You. I have told her how to save the informations at her PC.
She just need a litle time to read all your answers. And she is happy to get connected to Roger.

You all are so good and kind to help - so also thanks for the help from me on behalf af Grethe
Lis B. Jensen
Ses i Legacy Forum: http://legacydansk.com og
https://vordingborglokalarkiv.dk/

Jane C

How nice Lis!

Hello Grethe!

There are two VICKs (in this Vick family) in the DNA project. They fall into the Haplogroup R-1b1.
The website says:

"This father and son match each other perfectly at 67 markers.  They have a close resemblance to the WAMH at 12 markers; so, not surprisingly, they have hundreds of full matches at 12 markers and hundreds of near matches at 25 markers.  Still, they have only a few full matches at 25 markers and no full or even near matches at 37 markers, much less 67 markers (checking both the FTDNA and Ysearch databases).  Their haplotype remains unique and easily distinguishable at 37 or 67 markers."

Also:
"NOTICE:  a direct male line descendant of our subject is participating in the Danish Demes Regional DNA Project.  Anyone who suspects they descend from our subject on a direct male line can support that connection with a Y-DNA test."

So this would be some male descendant of one of the three Vick brothers: Mads, Hans PETER, and Christian FREDERIC...

Is that right?

The male line goes from Hans Christian Frederiksen to:

Præstø, Mønbo, Elmelunde, Raabyelille, 1 Huus, 104, FT-1834, B9344
Fridrich Vich 53  Gift  Væver  
Marthe Hansen 47  Gift  hans Kone [Fridrich Vich]  
Lars Fridrichsen 18  Ugift  deres Barn [Fridrich Vich og Marthe Hansen]

Per Family Search, Frederick married Martha Hansdatter on 5 Oct 1810 in Elmelunde Kirke, Præstø.

Marthe is also in Raabyelille in 1801.

Fridrich Vich ancestry not known, on these sites, although Grethe may know it.

There is a Wichmand family in Raaebyelille.

Roger Kenneth Vick

Yes, Fredrick Vick who lived and died in Minneapolis was a son of Hans Peter Vick.

We have extensive records of Hans Peter Vick and also Mads Hansen Vick, through Nancy Egeland, who is a descendant of Mads Vick.

Also know that there are some records in the church where they were christened that show Hans Peter Vick receiving a small pox vaccination at age 1.

Yes, Erik did a lot of research for me in Denmark, as a favor.  Really big help to me.
Roger Kenneth Vick

Jane C

That's great Roger. You and your team put together a great packet of information and links - really impressive.

This is the first time I've seen a connection to a DNA project and I'm fascinated - not time to study this closely at the moment, but I did see that your grandfather has Asian ancestry.   ;)

Wikipedia:
"The point of origin of R1b is thought to lie in Eurasia, most likely in Western Asia.[7] T. Karafet et al. estimated the age of R1, the parent of R1b, as 18,500 years before present."

So the world is flat after all.

Maybe you know all this, but it's a new field we are all learning more about.

Roger Kenneth Vick

The DNA test to 67 points each are for myself and my father.  Have a cousin on my Mom's side of the family that has DNA tested too.  Would be great so see data from some of the Vick relatives in Denmark.
Roger Kenneth Vick

Jane C

I wondered if that was you! - when you did not comment on my "find" of that website. I'm looking forward to learning more about the DNA project, as you have already done.
Mvh

Grethe Langesøe Wich

Thankyou  to all who has answered my question in this forum. It is late, and i am tired. To morrow you will get a lot more about jour ancestors.
Good night.
Grethe Langesøe Wich

Grethe Langesøe Wich

Hallo Jane, Roger and Homer.
Where to begin and where to stop? I´ll begin with the beginning:
In Selent church in Holstein Germany. 1.10.1779 
Hinrich August Vieth  son of selig ( dead )Jochim Hinrich Vieth Müller ( miller ) at Bransbeck Mill married
Elisabeth Catharina ,widow of dead Johan  Hinrich Reifeldt. - Their son :

Christian Friedrich Vick was born in Holstein at Salzau Mill and baptized. 29.12.1781 in Selent Church
His wife was Marthe Hansdatter (datter = daughter ) baptized 1.4.1789 in Elmelunde church.
They got their banns  read for in Elmelunde 27.7.1810 and they were married there 5.10.1810 .
C.F. Vich died 15.9.1849 - he was only called Friedrich Vich.  - Their son:

Hans Christian Frederiksen Vick born 18.4.1812 in Bleckendorf in Holstein
2.8.1839 he married Karen Pedersdatter ( a twin ) in Keldby Church
H.C.V. came from Holsten as a soldier to Moen. And there he met Karen.
With 5? other poor farmers H.C. drowned on a cold Januaryday  - 30.9. 1850. They had hoped for some food. They were never found.
Karen remarried 5.5.1854 to Jørgen Pedersen. They got a daugter Maren Kirstine Jørgensen born 11.5.1855.
Children of H.C.F.V. and Karen P.:

1) Christiane Marie born in Raabylille 5.10.1839 and died 21.6.1844.

2) Hans Peder born 21.1.1842 in Tostrup Vængesgaard. - æ=ae

3) Mads born 2.10.1844 in Tostrup Vængesgaard

4) Christiane Marie baptized 14.4.1847

5) Christien Frederik Hansen Vick born 26.2.1850 in Tostrup Vængesgaard
     13.11.1879 he married Vilhelmine Kirstine Nielsen in Sct.Hans Church in Odense.
     Their children:
     1) Clara - 2) Gerda. Both died unmarried and with no children
     3) Olga  born 28.2.1881 in Copenhagen
          7.7.1905 she married architect Martin Nielsen in Ordrup Church ( north of Copenhagen )
          Olga died 31.10.1938 at Frederiksberg Hospital  ( Frederiksberg is a town as well as a part
          of Copenhagen )  She died from perniciøs anæmi . 
          Martin died 1.8.1966 in Hvidovre - also a part of Copenhagen, but once a small town outside
          Copenhagen  - just like Frederiksberg.
Martin and Olga had 3 children - Ruth and Børge,13 and 11 years older than my husband.
Their 3. and last child was my husband Torben Wich ( baptized Torben Wich Nielsen - the Nielsen we let go. .

Torben and i have only 1 child. Lars Langesøe Wich born 17.12.1960.
He has 5 sons :
1) Rasmus Jean Demant Wich - born 23.7.1987
2) Anders Frederik Demant Wich - born 3.10.1991
3) Martin Wikkelsøe Wich - born 3.3.1997
4) Joakim Langesøe Wich - born 20.11.2002
5) Mads Langesøe Wich - born 22.10.2004
Now, that was our Wich-line.
I am born 15.3.1932 in Vordingborg. My parents were Christen Konrad Pedersen and Elisabeth Nina Nielsen. My father was a businessman. He sold bicycles and radios. He  concentraded his work on  beeing a manufacturer making his own radios. His radiomark was " DANIOLA "and his firm he called "DAN".

Enough for to day.
Kind regards to you all
Grethe Langesøe Wich.

Jane C

How touching to read all this Grethe! It makes me happy to think we have added a little to the significant and meaningful work you have done.

So your husband was grandson of Christian, as Homer guessed - the one who went to USA and was not ever heard from after.  

Mange tak for writing so much in English, and for sharing a story close to your heart.

Knus

Oh - we wondered about the name "Hjalmar" on the photo you have from Hans Peter. After seeing what the forum found, do you now know who that could that be? Could it say "Valdemar"? That name does come up in the USA.

Grethe Langesøe Wich

Hallo Jane. No, Cristian - the father of my husbands mother Olga - stayed in Denmark. Christien went to Kølstrup on the Isle of Fyn as a Coachman for the nobel-family Danneskjold Samsø. They came from NORDFELD a noblemans estate on Møn. In Kølstrup he found his wife Vilhelmine Kirstine Nielsen- daugter of a blacksmith on the estate ULRICHSHOLM.  Later on Christian and his family moved to copenhagen where he again became a coachman for a family north of Copenhagen. when he retired that family gave him a cigarshop in the Innercopenhagen as a pension.
Hope you got it right now.
Greatings, Grethe.   

Roger Kenneth Vick

Thank you so much for all that information.  I especially want to thank you for writing in English and I know it must have been a really hard task for you.  I have so much trouble trying to read the Danish web sites.

Yes, I definitely think we have made a connection.  So many of our old family stories I find have been alter and changed over the years and as I do my genealogy searches, I find some of them wrong.  Our stories all tell of the three brothers coming to America but we have no records anywhere of Christian (Christien) and I'm wondering if maybe he made the trip to America for a visit and then immediately returned to Denmark.  Another possibility is that the three were two brothers and one sister.

Anyway your history sure fills in the blank space about Christian (Christien) and makes many connections from the American Vick family to the Danish Wich family.  I would dearly love to make a trip over to Denmark and visit with you.

It's going to take me a while to digest all this information.

In reference to the photo of a child of Hans Peter Vick, I would think that is is Calmer Vick, or Uncle Cal as we called him.

Is there any way I could get a copy of that photo?
Roger Kenneth Vick

Jane C

Thank you Grethe and Roger for clearing up the mystery about Hjalmar. Although it's your family and not ours, one gets drawn into the mystery and desire to find the answers. So now the only remaining mystery is what became of the sister Christiane.

1880 CENSUS
Spruce Hill, Douglas, Minnesota, USA
Peter Vick  35
Mary A. Vick  33
Christian F. Vick  5
Ole C. Vick  4
Martin C. Vick  3
Martha Vick  1

Ole. C. Vick = Olof "Ole" Calmer VICK, b. Dec 1876 or 15 Dec 1875; d. 2 Nov 1939 = Uncle Cal.

:D

Jane C

Citat fra: Roger Kenneth Vick Dato 05 Feb 2012 - 21:16

In reference to the photo of a child of Hans Peter Vick, I would think that is is Calmer Vick, or Uncle Cal as we called him.

Is there any way I could get a copy of that photo?

I will post this important request again so my post does not bury it!

Grethe Langesøe Wich

Dear Jane and Roger.
On the backside of the photo of Hjalmer and his beatiful bride is written with a pencil:
" This is my oldest brothers weddingphoto. Hes name is Hjalmer whom you have seen as a small one."
Hjalmer could be a son af Christiane  , as Olga - daughter of Christian and mother to my husband Torben - has written at the edge of the photo.  "Fathers nephew".  Or could Hjalmer be a son of M Hjalmer is  Mads? Hjalmer is a Mystery.
When my son - Lars - comes, we will send quite a number of photos.
Kærlig hilsen, Grethe

Roger Kenneth Vick

Thanks so much Grethe.

We have a family photo showing Hans Peter, Mads and Christian somewhere in the family but it has been lost when my grandmother died and no one can find the picture now.  We have no photos at all of Hans Peter, so would greatly appreciate anything that you could send.  I'd be glad to pay for any cost if your not able to scan them and send them by email.

I really truly appreciate all the information you have already given us.  You've answered many prayers that have been expressed for many years.  We have several family members that are truly interested in making a trip to Denmark to meet our family there and visit the burial sites and homes of family who have passed on.

I would appreciate some additional information.  I am particularily interested in burial location or name of cemetery where family members are buried.

Christian Friedrich Vick
Jochim Muller
Hinrich Vieth
Elisabeth Vieth
Christian Frederik Hansen Vick

I don't have birth and death dates or places on most of these either.

I hope you or some members of your family will accept the invitation to our family web site on Myfamily.com  because we would dearly love to build a relationship and keep in contact.

I have done a lot of work on the Find a Grave web site also and would like any corrections or additions that you might find.  The web site for all our Vick relatives is located at:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=vcsr&GSvcid=26887

Or you can go to my name and see all the virtual cemeteries that I have created at:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=mr&GSvcid=26887&MRid=46868454&

I think you will be able to find out lots of imformation about Hans Peter and Mads Vick at those sites. 

We also have some histories written out on the MyFamily.com web site.  It's a private web site and only family members and friends are invited.  If there is anyone at all who might be interested in visiting our family web site, just send me their names and email addresses and I will send them an invitation to join the site.  It's membership is free.

I'd be glad to send you any information that you might want to read or see.

God Bless.

Roger Kenneth Vick