Have Need to understand how to find DDD info in AO

Startet af Lynn Christiansen, 30 Jan 2012 - 21:52

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Lynn Christiansen

I have located in DDD the 1880 Census for Aarhus my Great Grandmother. She is Anne Dorthea Hansen age 19. She is 12th from the bottom of a lengthy list.

The DDD location is:

Aarhus, Hasle, Aarhus Købstad, Århus Købstad 13, , 849/skolegade. Havnegade 4, 9, FT 1880

How would I go about finding the specific opslag in the AO census for this reference? In other words how do I specifically interpret this heading? going from coma to coma---

1-Aarhus: is this the city, parish or Amt?
2- Hasle- this is the Herred, correct?
3- Aarhus Købstad: this is the city proper and not the rural area (Landsogn), correct?
4- Århus Købstad 13: this is?
5- There are two commas with no information between them. What is not provided?
6-849/skolegade. Havnegade 4: this is?
7- 9: this is?
8- FT 1880: this is the year of the census.

Is there a format that is followed when DDD presents the heading information that one can follow to look up and find the specific opslag in AO? For example: Amt, Herred, Parish, etc. If so, what is the etc.?

Assuming on my part that 849/skolegade. Havnegade 4 is the street address, how does one easily look up in AO that street, or does one have to look street by street to find it?

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.....
Research Areas: Thisted, Aarhus, Viborg

John Wrenholt

If I understand your question, I think that you'll find the answer on ops 2827.

I found by searching for skolegade first. This are listed in alphebetical order in this particular census listing.  Then looking for matr. 849 which were in reverse numerical order.

Hopefully someone else can you give a more detailed answer on how to navigate the non-transcribed census listings.

Looking for the same address in the 1890 census is easily since the "gades" have been added to the drop-down menu.  matr 849 is ops 15 & 16 under skolegade.

Lynn Christiansen

I appreciate your feedback.

Question: for 1880 census did you have to search street by street?

You took it to the next step that I thought of doing i.e. looking at the same address for 1890 but unfortunately it appears she must have moved.

But I am beginning to see how the data is arranged.

Thank you for the input....

Karen Graabæk Møller

Hi Lynn

Will try to give you a play by play!

To find the censuses on AO, you go to http://www.sa.dk/ao/SoegeSider/Folketaelling.aspx

Here you start by entering the year - in this case 1880

Then the place (this is tricky: Sogn/Landsogn (parish), Købstad (city) or Copenhagen is the usual choice). In this case it says Århus Købstad, which then is the clue you need to choose Købstad.

Some time you will have to choose the county first, but in 1880 you only need to find Århus on the list.

Then there is usually a choise of which street, but not in this case. That means a very long list of opslag.  :'(     However, mostly the streets come in alphabetical order.

Hope this helped too!

Regards,
Karen G. Møller

Lynn Christiansen

I appreciate everyone's input and help.

I kick myself for not doing this before burdening you here:

The heading is as follows:

Aarhus, Hasle, Aarhus Købstad, Århus Købstad 13, , 849/skolegade. Havnegade 4, 9, FT-1880

If I go BACK to the individual on the "Search Results" it states the following:

CitatName: Anne Dorthea Hansen   Sex: K   Age: 19   Marital status: Ugift
Birth place: Aarhus

Census year: FT-1880   County: Aarhus   District: Hasle   Parish: Aarhus Købstad   Place name: Århus Købstad 13
Title no /address: 849/skolegade. Havnegade 4   Household-/ family no: 9   Source entry no: a4181   Record no: 16706

I have all of the information here that I need to search for the proper opslag:

Census year: 1880
Amt: Aarhus
Herred: Hasle
Parish: Aarhus Købstad (Although this is not the exact Parish she lived in, it was either Vor Frue and or Domsogn)

Title no /Address: 849/skolegade. Havnegade 4
Household-/ family no: 9
Source and Record numbers.

What I am not understanding is:

1) What does the "Place name" mean, in this case, Århus Købstad 13?
2) Why the stating of the "Title no /Address" as: 849/skolegade. Havnegade 4? Is the "Title no" then 849/skolegade? And the street "Address" then: Havnegade 4?
3) What is specifically is the meaning of the "Place name"? and what is the meaning of a "Title no"?

One learns bit by bit....thank you for your indulgence.....

John Nielsen

Hello Lynn

The one you found is a bit tricky.
Skolegade and Havnegade crosses, so it must be a building that have both adresses.
You normally have a street name and house number, but sometime you only have a lot number (Matr. Nr. in full matrikkelnummer).

One other way of navigating is using FT index, which often are more detailed than AO.
Here you have nearly 4300 pages in Århus, so a bit of caculation can save you a lot of time.
You find the index here: http://www.denjyskekirkebog.dk/Div/Diverse.htm

Hilsen John Nielsen

Lynn Christiansen

John---

Thank you for your feedback and the link---I find it fascinating..

When I look at Google Maps the building appears to be a modern building. I can imagine in the 1880s it may have been a building that fronted on both streets.

Again thank you for your feedback and the link.