Peter Vilhelm Frederiksen (Maribo, Denmark)

Startet af Anna Elmhorst, 29 Jan 2012 - 05:46

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Anna Elmhorst

Hi,

I am searching for information on my Sonderberg relatives in Denmark.  I have traced my lineage back to PETER W. SONDERBERG, a seaman who emigrated from Denmark to New Orleans and worked there as a steamboat pilot for more than 35 years.   His death certificate gives his date of birth as 29 MAR 1944 and place of birth as Denmark.  His marriage record (to Alydia Hammond, in New Orleans) gives his mother as MARGARET SONDERBERG but does not give a first name for his father.  I have also found records of persons I believe to be his uncle (Christian Sonderberg) and cousin (Louis Christian Sonderberg) who also lived in New Orleans.

I have found, on the family search website, a record for a PETER VILHELM FREDERIKSEN, born 29 MAR 1844 in Maribo, Denmark, to FREDERICK CHRISTENSEN SONDBERG (born 24 SEP 1788) and ANNE MARGRETHE CHRISTENSEN WULF (1803 - 11 May 1852).

FREDERICK CHRISTENSEN SONDBERG was the son of CHRISTIAN CHRISTENSEN SANDBERG and ANNE LISBETH HENRIKSEN (according to FamilySearch records) and had a brother, CHRISTEN CHRISTENSON (born 1808, Maribo) who's year of birth matches the CHRISTIAN SONDERBERG that I found in New Orleans.

I am wondering if PETER VILHELM FREDERIKSEN could have taken his father's surname when he came to the United States (between 1858 and 1870), and somehow the spelling was changed to Sonderberg?

Unfortunately, I am not very familiar with history of Danish surnames.

I would appreciate if anyone could explain to me if they think this could be possible and/or give me any information on the SONDERBERG surname in Denmark.

Thank you so much,

Anna Elmhorst

Homer Ficken

The FamilySearch listing is inaccurate:  The Danish online archives show Peter Vilhelm Frederiksen was born in Bogø Sogn (Parish), Møribo Herred (District), Præsto Amt (County).

Both his birth record (1822-1847 opslag 75) and confirmation record (1847-1867 opslag 134) list his parents as Frederik Christensen and Ane Margrethe Nielsdatter/Nielsen.

Most Danish families later adopted a permanent surname instead of continuing the old patrynomic names, and probably the father's family became Sondberg's and the mother's family Wulf's.

The mother's death in 1852 still listed her as Ane Margrethe (Kristensen) Nielsdatter, wife of Frederic Kristensen. (1847-1867, opslag 271 )

Danish Online Archives:  http://www.sa.dk/ao/

English instructions for AO:  http://www.utilis.dk/ressourcer/2011_Generic_instructions_for_the_use_of_arkivalieronline.pdf
Areas of interest:  Tønder county,  Brede, Daler, and Visby parishes
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=-skow-

Homer Ficken

Lissa Pedersen

Jane C

About the names - yes Anna the last name can transform the way you thought. The last name "Frederiksen" is not technically a surname - it is a patronymic name, as Homer explains. Danes changed from patronymic last names to surnames over several generations. It would be completely normal for a man (or a family) of Peter's generation to be choosing a surname. He could choose his father's first name plus sen, or settle on another surname, one with a connection to him/his family. "Sønderberg" is a place name, a popular surname option.

About the census below - Is this the family you found Homer? You don't mention the birth date you found for Peter - does it match the date Anna found of 29 MAR 1844?

The Peter in this census appears too old, but it could be a transcription error, repeating the age of his sibling Ane.

Also the mother is Christiansdatter. Your thoughts on the discrepancy? I always learn so much from you.

1850 in Bogø, in the sogn/parish of Bogø, Mønbo herred/district, Præstø amount/county:

Præstø, Mønbo, Bogø, Bogø, Huus, 158, FT-1850, B9436
Frederik Christensen age 52 Gift (married) Sømand (seaman/sailor), Bådfører (boatman) born in Bogø
Ane Christiansdatter 53 Gift, hans Kone (his wife) born at Damsholte [on the island of Møen]
all children born in Bogø
Anton Frederiksen 26 Ugift (unmarried) til Søes (at sea?) deres Børn (their child)
Sønderberg Frederiksen 24 Ugift til Søes "
Christian Frederiksen 21 Ugift til Søes "
Hendrik Frederiksen 18 Ugift til Søes "
Hansine Frederiksdatter 15 Ugift til Søes "
Ane Frederiksdatter 10 Ugift til Søes "
Peder Vilhelm Frederiksen 10 Ugift til Søes "

Anna Elmhorst

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to look into these records.

Homer, I would like to look more into the Danish Archives but unfortunately I don't think that I have the right computer operating system (using a Mac OS X) to open the digital files (it says I need JAVA).  I will explore it more though and go through the index to see what names I can find there.  It's a wonderful website, and I appreciate the helpful instructions in english.

Jane, I would like to find more records about that family you found in the 1850 census.  It caught my attention that Peter's father was a "seaman" (Peter's occupation in New Orleans) and that he had an older brother named Sonderberg.  I am not 100% sure of Peter's date of birth.  I have found Mar 1844 on several census records and also his obituary from Jan 1917 states that he was "born in Denmark seventy three years ago" (which would be about 1844).  His son gave Peter's birth date as 29 Mar 1850 on his death certificate, which seems wrong, as he would have been 66 when he died and it does not agree with the obituary or census records.

I am also interested in finding if there is a connection with that family to Christian Sonderberg (born 1808, Denmark and died 1866, New Orleans) as I believe it was Christian's son, Louis Christian, who signed "L. C. Sonderberg" as a witness to Peter's marriage.

Are there any records of persons changing from patronymic names to surnames? 

Lissa Pedersen

The above family is here in 1845:

praestoe, Mønbo, Bogø, Bogøe By, , 1 Huus, 69, FT-1845
Name: Age: Marital status: Occupation in household: Occupation: Birth place:
Frederik Christensen 47  Gift  Baadfører ligeledes [Bogøe Bye P. Amt]
Margrethe Christiansdatter 48  Gift  hans Kone [Frederik Christensen] Møen Stege
Anders Frederiksen 21  Ugift  Deres Børn [Frederik Christensen og Margrethe Christiansdatter] Bogøe
S...berg?? Frederiksen 19  Ugift  Deres Børn [Frederik Christensen og Margrethe Christiansdatter] ligeledes [Bogøe]
Christian Frederiksen 18  Ugift  Deres Børn [Frederik Christensen og Margrethe Christiansdatter] ligeledes [Bogøe]
Caroline Frederiksdatter 15  Ugift  Deres Børn [Frederik Christensen og Margrethe Christiansdatter] ligeledes [Bogøe]
Hendrik Frederiksen 12  Ugift  Deres Børn [Frederik Christensen og Margrethe Christiansdatter] ligeledes [Bogøe]
Sine Frederiksdatter 10  Ugift  Deres Børn [Frederik Christensen og Margrethe Christiansdatter] ligeledes [Bogøe]
Stine Frederiksdatter 3  Ugift  Deres Børn [Frederik Christensen og Margrethe Christiansdatter] ligeledes [Bogøe]
Peder Frederiksen 1  Ugift  Deres Børn [Frederik Christensen og Margrethe Christiansdatter] ligeledes [Bogøe]

And in 1840:

praestoe, Mønbo, Bogø, Bogøe Bye, , et Huus, 100, FT-1840
Frederik Christensen 43  Gift  Baadfører, Ernærer sig af Seilads  
Ane Magrethe Christensdatter 44  Gift  hans Kone [Frederik Christensen]  
Anton Frederiksen 15  Ugift  deres Børn [Frederik Christensen og Ane Magrethe Christensdatter]  
Sonneborg Frederiksen 14  Ugift  deres Børn [Frederik Christensen og Ane Magrethe Christensdatter]  
Christian Frederiksen 11  Ugift  deres Børn [Frederik Christensen og Ane Magrethe Christensdatter]  
Karoline Frederiksdatter 10  Ugift  deres Børn [Frederik Christensen og Ane Magrethe Christensdatter]  
Henrich Frederiksen 7  Ugift  deres Børn [Frederik Christensen og Ane Magrethe Christensdatter]  
Hansine Frederiksdatter 5  Ugift  deres Børn [Frederik Christensen og Ane Magrethe Christensdatter]

And in 1834:

praestoe, Mønbo, Bogø, Nyebye, , Huus, 47, FT-1834
Frederich Christensen 35  Gift  Huusmd og Søemd 
Ane Margrethe Christiansdatter 35  Gift  hans Kone [Frederich Christensen] 
Anton Hændrich Frederichsen 10  Ugift  deres Børn [Frederich Christensen og Ane Margrethe Christiansdatter] 
Sønneborg Frederichsen 8  Ugift  deres Børn [Frederich Christensen og Ane Margrethe Christiansdatter] 
Niels Christian Frederichsen 6  Ugift  deres Børn [Frederich Christensen og Ane Margrethe Christiansdatter] 
Caroline Sophie Frederich Frederichsdatter 4  Ugift  deres Børn [Frederich Christensen og Ane Margrethe Christiansdatter] 
Hændrich Frederichsen 1  Ugift  deres Børn [Frederich Christensen og Ane Margrethe Christiansdatter]

Lissa

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Jane Christiansen Dato 29 Jan 2012 - 19:03

About the census below - Is this the family you found Homer? You don't mention the birth date you found for Peter - does it match the date Anna found of 29 MAR 1844?

Yes, an exact match, 29 Mar 1844 (attached):

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Flemming A. Aasklint

Hi

Peter Vilhelms father and grandparents:

All persons in the household

Præstø, Mønbo, Bogø, Gammelbye, , 7de familie, 7,

FT-1801

Name:    Age:    Marital status:    Occupation in household:    Occupation:    Birth place:

Kristen Kristensen Sønneberg   43    Gift   Mand   Huusmand uden Jord, og Søemand   
Anne Elisabet Henrichsdatter   40    Gift   hans kone [Kristen Kristensen Sønneberg]      
Birte Kristensdatter      11    Ugift   deres Børn [Kristen Kristensen Sønneberg og Anne Elisabet Henrichsdatter]      
Maren Kristensdatter      7    Ugift   deres Børn [Kristen Kristensen Sønneberg og Anne Elisabet Henrichsdatter]      
Kirsten Kristensdatter      4    Ugift   deres Børn [Kristen Kristensen Sønneberg og Anne Elisabet Henrichsdatter]      
Fridrik Kristensen      3    Ugift   deres Børn [Kristen Kristensen Sønneberg og Anne Elisabet Henrichsdatter]      
Mvh.
Flemming Aasklint
4500  Nykøbing Sjælland

Lissa Pedersen

Hi,

Take a look at www.arkivalieronline.dk in Bogø parish (1760-1812) image 105 - Friderich bapt. 30 Sep 1798 - born to Christen Sonneberg and wife Anne Elisabeth - he was born 24 Sep 1798.

He was presented at the baptism by Rasmus Keling's wife Anne Dorthea Fridrichsdatter at Farø (a small island) and was given the name Friderich. Mette Jacobsdatter also attended (can't read it all). Witnesses: Hans Olsen Keling, Peder Hansen, Rasmus Galle, Anne Henrichsdatter Keling.

Perhaps another person will read it better.

Lissa

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Anna Elmhorst Dato 29 Jan 2012 - 20:47

Homer, I would like to look more into the Danish Archives but unfortunately I don't think that I have the right computer operating system (using a Mac OS X) to open the digital files (it says I need JAVA).  I will explore it more though and go through the index to see what names I can find there.  It's a wonderful website, and I appreciate the helpful instructions in english.

Are there any records of persons changing from patronymic names to surnames? 

Yes, you will need to add JAVA to your PC but I'm not familiar with Mac so don't know if they are compatible.

Sometimes a note was added to the parish records later noting the name change, but it seems probable now that Sonderberg came from the grandfather's name Sønneberg.

Anna Elmhorst

Thanks Homer for posting that image -- very neat to take a look at the actual record.  I will have my partner look into installing JAVA for me (he is the tech guru) or else I can find another computer to view those records.

Lissa, thanks for looking up those census records, and finding the birth record for Peter's father.  In 1845 it gives Peter's age as 1, so that is a perfect match to the year of birth I have and also the birth record that Homer found.  Also noticed that his mother went by Margrethe, and he gave his mother's name as "Margaret" on his marriage certificate. 

Flemming, thanks for looking up his grandparents.  I still don't see a Christian listed as a brother to Frederick (uncle to Peter), but now that I have those names I can continue to search for him on later records.  Is "Huusmand uden Jord" the occupation of his grandfather?  What does that translate too?

Seeing that his grandfather's surname was Sonneberg (sorry, haven't figured out how to do the Danish letters) makes me feel like I am on the right track here.  How is that pronounced?  Wondering if it would sound like Sonderberg in english?

Jane C

Hi Anna,
Exciting to see all these posts here. Yes, it's looking like the family in Bogø is your family! Homer has found the exact birth day and year. The 1845 census Lissa added indeed shows that the wrong birth year in the 1850 census is just a fluke. Similarly, I agree with your assessment of the contradictions in the birth year found in Peter's death records. I too followed him on Ancestry, from Louisiana marriage and births of his children, and onward to his death in Chicago. Peter is age 35 in the 1880 census, age 56 in 1900 (and states his birth date as March 1844), and age 66 in 1910. It's only after his death that his birth year becomes confused! And his mother's name matches.

Peter's children are not named for his parents, which is a little bothersome, but I suppose he can adopt a new way of doing things in the new world.

Peter states in 1900 that he immigrated in 1870, as I'm sure you know, but I haven't found his immigration record.

I think "Huusmand uden Jord" means a smallholder farmer who does not own land (jord = earth/land) See Norman Madsen's Danish dictionary online for quick definitions of archaic Danish job titles. This is a typical lifestyle/job title for that generation.

You ask, "Are there any records of persons changing from patronymic names to surnames? "
You bet. Their name is Legion (their name was previously "Millions of people").  ;) I've attached a church record 1905 showing Christen Christensen formally changing his surname to Wisborg (a place the family had historically lived). To give you one specific example.

As you read church book records from the olden days, you'll notice many many men referred to variously, example: Peter Patronymic, Peter Place Name, Peter Patronymic and Place Name, etc. The Danes passed a series of laws for over a century,  trying to encourage everyone to give up patronymic names and adopt a surname for the family that would be passed along, unchanged, generation to generation. To understand more, read about Danish naming practices, laws, and history. As I've read the wonderful people who post in this forum, I notice they have no trouble accepting changes such as Peter Frederiksen being the same as Peter Sonderberg. BUT - just because it's very possible doesn't prove it happened! So the job is to look at the records, amass the evidence, and prove a case that it is the same guy.

Looks like that is happening.

Med venlig hilsen

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Jane C

Some Sonderberg births in Orleans parish in Louisiana:

http://files.usgwarchives.net/la/orleans/vitals/births/index/nobisnss.txt

In this and other databases, I don't see anyone else who could be L. C. Sonderberg, except the son of Christian Sonderberg and Sarah Morgan Sonderberg.

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Jane Christiansen Dato 29 Jan 2012 - 22:19
Peter states in 1900 that he immigrated in 1870, as I'm sure you know, but I haven't found his immigration record.

In the 1910 Orleans census Peter listed 1858 as immigration year, which was his confirmation year.  I don't find him in 1860-1880 censuses or identify him in a ship's passenger list, but as a seaman, he probably never appeared on passenger lists, as crew members were not usually listed.

Anna Elmhorst

Thanks Jane!  

It is very exciting to see all of these posts and I am grateful to all of you for helping me look into these records and taking the time to explain a bit of Danish culture/history to me.  I feel like I have uncovered some really good clues today, but still would like to find a little more proof that Peter Frederiksen from Bogo is Peter Sonderberg of New Orleans.  My next plan is to contact the State Archives in New Orleans and see if I can find his naturalization records.  They may *hopefully* give a more specific location of where he came from in Denmark.  

I think that you probably found my "Packo/Sonderberg" family tree on ancestry.com.  I did some research on Peter's wife's family (the Hammonds) and it seems that many of their children were named after their mother's relatives.  Maybe because her family was closer, living right there in New Orleans.  Peter and Alydia actually lived next door to Alydia's mother ("the widow Hammond") for many years.  They did have one daughter named "Annie" who could be named after Peter's mother and/or grandmother, and Peter gave the names "Peter" and "William" as middle names for two of his sons (the eldest was named after Alydia's father, Hunnewell).

I am going to try to find out more about Christian Sonderberg and his connection to Peter... they are the only Sonderberg families that I have found records for in New Orleans.  I'm wondering if he could be an uncle, which would make sense that his son, L.C. Sonderberg, would be a witness of Peter and Aldia's marriage.  I believe that Christian was also a captain or a seaman (I'd have to go back and look through my records again) and it would make sense that perhaps his nephew came to America because his uncle was able to help him find work as a steamboat pilot?

Hmmm... it is fun trying to figure all of this out.  :-)

Jane C

Anna, In 1850 we see Sønderberg Frederiksen; in 1840 the name is Sonneborg Frederiksen. Flemming has shown this to be a last name in the family with the 1801 census. You are asking how did Sønneberg become Sønderberg, and how is it pronounced? I just remembered a former pastor at Bogø who was very kind and helpful to me when I had questions about family in Bogø.

Find him at this link - I think he would be delighted to hear from you.
http://www.jilt.dk/Praestetavle.htm

LOL - we posted at the same time. So I'm back with an "edit."

You write, "I think that you probably found my "Packo/Sonderberg" family tree on ancestry.com"
No, I didn't find your tree. I made a little family tree to work from to help me search, using records on Ancestry.com (but no one's family tree).

How fun that you have made such progress today!

: D

About Homer's post - good point. We've seen that before, that a seagoing young man has widely varying dates of immigration noted.

Anna Elmhorst

That's interesting, Homer... I hadn't thought that he might have actually been working as a seaman aboard the ship that brought him to Louisiana.  I have had no luck finding passenger or naturalization records for him online, but am planning to contact the state archives to see if they can look up his records of immigration.  It does say on the census records that he became naturalized.

Anna Elmhorst

Thanks Jane, I would like to contact him.  I couldn't find an address or email link on the website.  Do you think I should just mail something to the church? 

Jane C

Since he's a steamboat pilot  - I wonder if he's piloting on the Mississippi River rather than the ocean, after he settles in New Orleans. Do you know Anna?

About Christian Sonderberg -
The 1801 census Flemming found has Anne Elisabet Henrichsdatter as the grandmother to Peter Vilhelm Fredericksen. Peter had a brother named Hendrick.

A little boy named Henry J. Sonderberg died in New Orleans 27 July 1849, age 9 years. I guessed this was Christian's son but I didn't check it out. Christian and Sarah did have daughters Henrietta and Christina, as well as Louis Christian, and an ANNA Elizabeth.

Just seeing it we can start to build a pile of connections for these two families!

On your tree, do you have Christian? Did you find if he was from Denmark?

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Homer Ficken Dato 29 Jan 2012 - 23:17

In the 1910 Orleans census Peter listed 1858 as immigration year, which was his confirmation year.  I don't find him in 1860-1880 censuses or identify him in a ship's passenger list, but as a seaman, he probably never appeared on passenger lists, as crew members were not usually listed.

Peter is in the 1880 Orleans census, misspelled Sonterberg, with wife and first two children.

Anna Elmhorst

Yes, I do know that he was a steamboat pilot for sure, so I am guessing that he was mostly sailing on the Mississippi river.   According to his obituary he was also a pilot on the 3rd district ferry for more than 35 years.

I am looking for my records of Christian Sonderberg right now... Here is a link to his gravestone memorial on findagrave:  http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Sonderberg&GSfn=Christian&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSst=20&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=30388179&df=all&;   

The headstone reads "My dear husband and children/Christian Sonderberg/A Native of Denmark/Died 27 Nov 1866/Aged 58 years".  There follows a list of their children, including Henry J. Sonderberg who died at 9 years of age.

I have not added Christian to my tree yet... still wanting to verify the connection.  But I have been keeping loose records of him.  I also have the copy of his death certificate (ordered from the LA state archives) which also confirms that he was born in Denmark.  It was signed by Gus. Guel, who I believe was his son-in-law (husband of Anna)

Anna Elmhorst

I have attached the 1880 census to my family tree.

My earliest record of Peter in Louisiana is his marriage certificate (25 May 1875)

Jane C

New Orleans, Orleans, Louisiana
Peter Sonterberg 35 S. boat pilot
Lydia Sonterberg 24
Edward Sonterberg 6  
Lydia Sonterberg 2

Jane C

Ah - so you have confirmed Christian was from Denmark!

Yes Anna married Gustav Guel. She died young and Gus remarried. Sister Sarah Sonderberg married Emil John Guel; they moved to Mississippi.

And now I see Christian's daughter Christina was Christina Fredericka.

You can see I am hoping we can tie in Christian!

About contacting that helpful historian at this link:
http://www.jilt.dk/Praestetavle.htm

See his name bottom left of the page.

This might be him on Geni:
http://www.geni.com/people/Jens-Lyhne-Th%C3%B8gersen/6000000004540136437

Maybe that is how I found him.....I thought it was via that webpage. Arghh.

Jane C

IGI has

Christen Sondberg born 27 JUL 1808   Bogo, , Maribo, Denmark. The same mistake with "Sondberg" and "Maribo" as before - maybe the same person posted this.

Could someone look in the churchbook for this birth record....?

Same poster has Christian Christensen Sondberg married 22 DEC 1790   Bogo, , Maribo, Denmark and died 19 NOV 1830. Same mistakes, seems to be same poster. This matches the paternal grandfather of Peter Vilhelm Sonderberg. Same source, different record - Christen is married to Ane Lisbeth Henriksen. Matches Peter Vilhelm SOnderberg's maternal grandmother. As found by Flemming.

Jane C

Præstø, Mønbo, Bogø, Gamlebye, , 42, FT-1787, B7870
Niels Christiansen Senneberg 39 Gift Mand Huusmand og enrolleret Matros [navy seaman]
Karen Marie Jensdatter 38 Gift Hans Kone
Christen Christensen Senneberg 25 Ugift Mandens Brødre [brother] Enrolleret Matros
Antoni Christensen Senneberg 24 Ugift Mandens Brødre Enrolleret Matros
Anne Cathrine Fridericsdatter 67 Enke Mandens Moder [mother] Fattig [poor/dependent]

Præstø, Mønbo, Bogø, Nyebye, Huus, 122-F1, FT-1834, B9341
Navn: Alder: Civilstand: Stilling i husstanden: Erhverv: Fødested:
Ane Lisbeth Hændrichsdatter 69 Enke Aftægtskone
Kirsten Christensdatter 37 Ugift hans Dat: Væver [Ane Lisbeth Hændrichsdatter]
Maren Marie Andersdatter 3 Ugift Pleiebarn [Ane Lisbeth Hændrichsdatter]

Præstø, Mønbo, Bogø, Bogøe Bye, et Huus, 33, FT-1840, B9375
Navn: Alder: Civilstand: Stilling i husstanden: Erhverv: Fødested:
Niels Jørgen Nielsen 30 Gift Væver
Kirsten Christensdatter 44 Gift hans Kone [Niels Jørgen Nielsen]
Ane Elisabeth Henriksdatter 75 Enke Aftægtskone [Niels Jørgen Nielsen og Kirsten Christensdatter]

see: http://www.dis-danmark.dk/forum/read.php?1,674071,page=1

Jane C

Perhaps this record (see link) is the birth of Christen Christensen Sønneberg
(that is, perhaps it is the same man as Kristen Kristensen Sønneberg, 43, Gift, Mand, Huusmand uden Jord, og Søemand in 1801 in Gammelbye, Bogø, Mønbo, Præstø - father of Frederik and grandfather of Peter Vilhelm Sonderberg)

http://ddd.dda.dk/kiip/asp/alle_opl.asp?kipnr=B0212&lbnr=603&begivenhed=Dåb

Garnison 1741 - 1791, Dåb
Odense, Odense, Garnison, 1741 - 1791, Dåb
Christen - Kirkedåb (church baptism) 13-9-1758
Father Christen Sønneberg, Corporal
Mother Catrine Sønneberg

In the 1787 census his widowed mother is Anne Cathrine Fridericsdatter.

Anna Elmhorst

I have found quite a few mistakes in the FamilySearch IGI when working on other branches of the family tree, so I always try to verify those records elsewhere. 

I had found on the IGI that a Christen Sonberg (name obviously keyed wrong) married an Anne Lisbeth Hendrichdr Kehling 22 Dec 1790.  You found in the baptismal record of Frederik Christensen that he was presented by Rasmus Keling's wife, Anne Dorthea Fridrichsdatter (at Faro).  Anne Henrichsdatter Kehling (his mother) was a witness.  So I think that record is accurate, minus the spelling mistakes.

Also, on IGI, I found as children of Christen Sondberg and Anne Hendrichdr the following:

Kaling Christensen born 20 Nov 1804, Bogo, Praesto, Denmark
Kirsten Christensen born 26 Nov 1797, Bogo, "Maribo", Denmark
(she is on the 1801 census from Flemming)
Maren Christensen born 17 Dec 1973, Bogo, "Maribo", Denmark
(she is on the 1801 census from Flemming)

Frederick Christensen born 24 Sep 1798, Bogo, "Maribo", Denmark
(matches the baptismal record you found and the 1801 census record)
Christen Christensen born 24 Jul 1808, Bogo, "Maribo", Denmark
(1808 is the year I estimated as the birth of Christian Sonderberg who died in New Orleans

Kaling and Christen obviously would not have appeared on that census record as they were born a few years later...

What happened to the census records between 1805 and 1834?  Are they still in the process of transcription?  Or were they destroyed? 

Would like to see one between 1808 and 1820 to see if Christen and Kaling are there...

Jane C

Hi Anna,

Good find!  Now one needs to look at the original record in the churchbook to verify the IGI record, that Christen b. 1808 is indeed the child of the same parents as Frederik Christensen Sonderborg.

I hope some kind soul will check. I'm sorry I never can use that awesome database.

You mention Kirsten Christensen born 26 Nov 1797...on the 1801 census from Flemming....She
is also on the 1834 and 1840 census (posted) with her mother.

This link...

http://www.dis-danmark.dk/forum/read.php?1,674071,page=1

...refers to "Kirsten Christensdatter's forældre Christen Christensen Sønneberg og Ane Elisabeth Hendrichsdatter. Hun er datter af Hendrich Kehling." (So there we see the name of Ane Elisabeth's father.) "Hun har en broder Friederich f. 1798."

f. = født = born

Also noted at link above: "Møllersvend Niels Jørgen Nielsen 25 år blev viet (was wedded) 6.nov.1835 til pigen (maiden) Kirsten Christensdatter [from] Bogø 28 år, en af forloverne [witness/bestman] var Sømand Friderik Senneberg (ant. hendes broder)(her brother).  ops 284 1822-1847

I think 28 years old should mean 38 years old...too sleepy for math.

Late here and I couldn't sleep, so checked back. I'm a bit dopey but pretty sure I saw Hendrik, Peter Vilhelm's brother, with a middle name of Kelling.

If Christen born 1808 proves truly a brother to Frederik, then Peter Vilhelm in New Orleans must surely be Peter Vilhelm in Bogø. Indeed, the matching birth date and names are strong evidence in themselves.

As for census records between 1801 and 1834, there was no census in between, as far as I know, except in some areas there was an 1803 census. You seem to be using this site with Danish census but I'll add it here just in case:

www.ddd.dda.dk

This website discusses why the 1803 census happened in Schleswig-Holstein, although that's kind of off point for what we're doing here:
http://www.aggsh.de/engl/pag/vz-01.htm

What is needed is the churchbook in Bogø to will tell of the births, deaths, parents, siblings, confirmations, vaccinations, and marriages of your family. The churchbook also often notes comings and goings as people move from one parish to another.

I've looked for Christen in the 1834 census and I'm sure everybody has -- but someone would have posted it here if found.

It's exciting to see how the sea has flowed through their lives, isn't it?

Did you notice that record that seems to be Christen Christensen Sonderberg as a colonel? I don't understand the record - wondering if it is navy.