Niels Baltezar Christensen (Nels Balsar Christensen)

Startet af Egon Rye Toft, 28 Jan 2012 - 08:19

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Egon Rye Toft

I am trying to find out, about my Grandfarther Niels Baltezar Christensen born february 13 1879 in Klovborg Denmark. May 28 1906 he married my Grandmother Jensine Laurine Amalie Andersen.
My mother was born 27 november 1907, and Niels Baltezar Christensen is noted in the Church Register as living in America.He was never heard from again, that is untill recently, I got a Registration Card:
Nels Baltsar Christensen Beechwood Iron Mich age 63 born feb 13 1879 in Denmark
There is a name on a person: Oscar Lindahl Beechwood Mich. And he was employed by. Lindahl Brothers Beecwood Mich. Beechwood Iron Mich.
signed Nels Christensen.
I would be gratefull if someone can find some information on my Grandfarther.
Egon Toft  ert@jafnet.dk

Lis Nielsen

prøv at se denne vdr oscar lindahl

http://records.ancestry.com/Oscar_Lindahl_records.ashx?pid=30281269

oscar lindahl giver rigtig mange hits hvis du googler han

Jane C

Hi Egon -  I have looked for your grandfather in US Census and in military draft registration cards (World War I and World War II). I did not find him! It was easy to find Oscar Lindahl, but in the 1920 census, Niels Baltezar Christensen is not living with Oscar, and is not a neighbor.

Where did you find the registration card you have?
Is it a World War I draft registration? 1917/1918?
Is it World War II?
Is Nels married, according to the card?

Here is a photo of the Lindahl Brothers Garage:
"The Lindahl Brothers' Garage, founded in 1925 by Oscar, Walter, Arthur and Harold Lindahl. It handled Star, Durant and Marmon cars, and later in 1931, Chevrolet, as well as logging equipment."

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=7238744&PIpi=48951181

Oscar, Walter, Arthur, and Harold are living with their parents in 1910, in Iron River Township, Iron County, Michigan. The father is a farmer and the boys, born in Michigan, are helping him with the farm work.

In 1917 Oscar Carl Lindahl registered for the draft (World War I) in Beechwood, Iron, Michigan. His registration card says he is single and employed by himself as a farmer.

In 1920 Oscar is age 32, married to Elvera, no children. He is a logger in the woods. They live in Iron River Township, Iron, Michigan.

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Homer Ficken

Hi Egon,

So far, I also can not identify your ancestor in U.S. censuses, but he was obviously here:

In 1918 he registered for the WW-1 draft in Ashland County Wisconsin and listed his father as nearest relative (attached)

I also don't find the registration you list, but at age 63, it must have been in 1942?

Areas of interest:  Tønder county,  Brede, Daler, and Visby parishes
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=-skow-

Eva Morfiadakis

You find the Draft Card for WWII on Familysearch. He is not married. He gives his employer's name and adress.

Eva M
Eva M

Jane C

Thanks Eva.

Okay, so then we don't know where he is from about 1907 to about 1941. Wouldn't necessarily have to be Michigan.

I wonder why in 1941/42 he would be in such a remote, northern place in the USA?

Eva Morfiadakis

I know somebody in Iron County and I have written to her to ask her if it would be possible to find out if Nels/Niels B.C. died there.

Eva M
Eva M

Jane C

Hi again -

Good idea Eva!!

And thanks Homer! Those draft registrations always have such good info. I am sorry I missed your last post - and so we do know Nels is in Glidden, Ashland County, Wisconsin, in 1918.

Homer, how did you find that World War I draft registration? I still don't find it on Ancestry, even though I can see exactly how to spell the name in this case.

Looked in the Social Security Death Index and found no Nels/Niels Christensen or Balthasar-Christensen (and similar names) born February 1879. Because he's alive in the 1940s to register for World War II draft, seems he should be in the SSDI!

Eva Morfiadakis

I think this draft registration is called "old men's registration" or something similar. They registered these old men in case the war would go on for a long time. The men were not intended to be soldiers but were to look after the home affairs just like Dad's army in the UK.

Eva M
Eva M

Jane C

Yes, I've never heard of any man from that "old men's list" of World War II ever being drafted, though I haven't specifically studied the question.

It's wonderful to have it - the only generation of men where we have that extra identifier.

At the time of that WW II draft,  Nels was working for Lindahl Chevrolet in Iron River, Iron, Wisconsin - I wonder if that registration states he was working as an auto mechanic. Usually it gives a specific job as well as an employer.

I think Lindahl Chevrolet became Lindwall Chevrolet - not entirely sure about that. Find A Grave photos for the Lindahl family show both names.

In 1920 Oscar Lindahl was working as a logger - and logging could have been the job that initially drew Nels Balser Christensen to the area - as the same work was going on in Glidden in 1918. By the mid-1930s the forests in that area were mostly cut over and people turned to other jobs.

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Jane Christiansen Dato 28 Jan 2012 - 17:11
Hi again -

Good idea Eva!!

And thanks Homer! Those draft registrations always have such good info. I am sorry I missed your last post - and so we do know Nels is in Glidden, Ashland County, Wisconsin, in 1918.

Homer, how did you find that World War I draft registration? I still don't find it on Ancestry, even though I can see exactly how to spell the name in this case.

Looked in the Social Security Death Index and found no Nels/Niels Christensen or Balthasar-Christensen (and similar names) born February 1879. Because he's alive in the 1940s to register for World War II draft, seems he should be in the SSDI!

He's spelled Nels Balser Christenson in 1918.

The SSDI Index starts 1960s and he probably died before then.
Areas of interest:  Tønder county,  Brede, Daler, and Visby parishes
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=-skow-

Jane C

Thanks Homer. Yes, he must have died earlier. With the change you suggested (sen to son) I have found the WWI draft registration you found.

Nels Balser Christenson
Home address: Glidden, Ashland, Wisconsin
Date of Birth: Febr. 13, 1879
Race: white
Birthplace: Denmark, S. Uland
Employer: Miller manufacturing co., ?? Miller, Ashland, Wisconsin
Nearest relative name and address: Steffen Peter Christensen, Klavborg, Sndr(?) Hortensen (?) Denmark
Medium height, medium build, blue eyes, dark hair
Obviously physically qualified
September 12, 1918
Ashland County, Ashland, Wisconsin

Jane C

Since we can't find him in the USA census, thought I'd look for relatives in Wisconsin and Michigan, and when seeking family, found this family tree online. Maybe you have seen it!

from Kurt Kristiansen in Horsens:
Steffen Peter Christensen (son of Christen Pedersen and Christiane Dorthea Steffensdatter) was born 08 May 1842 in Gribstrup, Klovborg sogn, Vrads, Skanderborg, and died 15 Jan 1930 in Gribstrup. He married Johanne Christensen on 20 May 1870 in Sønder Vissing Kirke, daughter of Christen Nielsen and Karen Ibsdatter.

Notes for Steffen Peter Christensen:
Død: Alderrentenyder i Gribstrup, Klovborg sogn. Født i Klovborg 1842 28. maj. Gift med Efterlevende Johanne Christensen, Gribstrup. Sidste fælles bopæl Gribstrup.
Søn af Murer Christen Pedersen og Hustru Christianse Dorthea Stephensdatter, Gribstup mark. 87 år, Dødsattest af 15 januar 1930. Jordeseddel fra Brædstrup Skifteret 16 januar 1930. Burial: 21 Jan 1930, Klovborg Kirke. Occupation: Husmand.

Notes for Johanne Christensen:
Dåb -Christening: 19 Jun 1853, Sønder Vissing Kirke. Faddere: Gårdmandskone Johanne Marie Rasmussen i Farret, Pige Jensine Ibsen i Sønder Visinge, Husmændene Jørgen Nielsen og Henrik Ibsen i Addit og Chresten Andersen i Vinding. Burial: 17 Oct 1937, Klovborg Kirke.

Children of Steffen Peter Christensen and Johanne Christensen (siblings for Niels Balter Christensen) are:
Kristiane Dorthea Christensen, b. 30 Jul 1872, Velling, Bryrup sogn.
Karen Christensen, b. 22 Feb 1873, Velling, Bryrup sogn.
Kresten Christensen, b. 21 Jan 1875, Floris, Klovborg sogn.
Andrea Christensen, b. 07 Jan 1877, Floris, Klovborg sogn.
Niels Balter Christensen, b. 13 Feb 1879, Floris, Klovborg sogn.
Eleonore Kirstine Christensen, b. 12 Nov 1883, Gribstrup, Klovborg sogn.
Jens Christensen, b. 03 May 1887, Gribstrup, Klovborg sogn.
Maren Christensen, b. 13 Aug 1889, Gribstrup, Klovborg sogn.
     Mette Marie Kristensen, b. 19 Jul 1892, Klovborg sogn, d. 1967
     (Mette Marie married Anders Kristiansen 20 Nov 1912 in Klovborg church)

LINK:
http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/k/r/i/Kurt-Kristiansen-Horsens/index.html

Jane C

In 1918 Nels Baltser Christensen worked for a Miller company in Ashland, Wisconsin. Picture of a bottle attached with words "Miller and Co. Ashland, Wisconsin." Headquarters for Miller beer was Milwaukee, Wisconsin, but maybe they had a glass bottle making plant in Ashland....? In an online history of Ashland, there's no mention of a Miller and Co.

Egon Rye Toft

Thank you all, for your help, this was more than I could hope for thanks.
Here is the certificate that I have, maybe It wil be of help, in getteing more on Nels.
EGON

Jane C

Hi again Egon,

Thank you for posting that. Yes, Nels is registering for the list made of all American men during World War II.

I have still not found your grandfather in the census.

We do know your grandfather came to the Upper Middle West, USA, about 1907, and lived in at least two small towns - Glidden, Wisconsin (September 1918), and Beechwood, Michigan (about 1942). Both are in the same region; Beechwood is in the part of Michigan called the "Upper Peninsula." People who live there call it "the U. P." The U.P. is north of Wisconsin, separated from the rest of Michigan. I have lived in the U. P., long ago, and people seem to identify more with Wisconsin than with Michigan. The land in that area between those two small towns is very little settled even today; it is mostly forests. Nels seems to be doing a factory type job in 1918 and working for a Chevrolet dealership in 1942. He does not have a telephone in 1942, so we can guess he did not have too much money. He does not appear to be remarried/with a partner in 1918 since he gives his father as his nearest relative.

There is a Martin Christensen in Glidden in 1918 (he also registered for the draft). He is from Denmark. But in the family tree online I don't see someone who can be Martin - maybe you have more information about cousins. Usually immigrants followed a relative or friend.

My hope for you would be to find a photograph of your grandfather, if you do not have one, to fill out this picture of your grandfather's life. The online family tree poster gives an email and he seems to be (maybe) a grandson of your grandfather's sister Mette Marie. The poster might have a photo of the Christensen family when Nels was young.

I was surprised yesterday when I could not find the same World War I draft card that Homer found. When he suggested I write ChristensOn, I could find Nels! So we know the search engine is far from perfect. Digital searching will get better in the coming years, and I suspect you will eventually amass more information about your grandfather.

I'll check back to see if Eva has any luck with her contact.

Mvh

Eva Morfiadakis

My contact has informed me that he died in 1957. He was buried in an unmarked grave in Resthaven Cemetary, Section 11, plot 64. "The cemetery records just give his name and the burial location and the year he died, no birth year. I will try to find an obituary for him.  I will have to try to get a more definite date for when he died in 1957.
I can tell you a few things, however. Section 11 where he is buried is the "potter's field" where poor people were buried, and is way in the back of the cemetery. Of almost 100 people on the record as being buried there, only 6 have any kind of marker".

I will tell you when I get more information.

Eva M
Eva M

Egon Rye Toft

JANE & EVA Thank you , Im so gratefull that you will take the time, to help, findig out what happened to Nels Christensen
Thanks a lot
Egon

Jane C

How wonderful that Eva's contact could help. That contact is probably our best hope for any more information right now. I'll check back to see if Eva learns more.

Mvh

Eva Morfiadakis

I am already back:

"COUNTY CLERK DEATH INFORMATION says Nels Christensen was born Feb 13 1879 in Denmark. Parents Peter Christensen & Hannah Gibson. Woodsman. Single. Died in Crystal Falls Twp on April 26 1957 age 78 of cerebral vascular accident (stroke)

I think it will confirm that this is the man you are seeking, espcially since the Courthouse information even had the same date of birth plus the names of his parents! Someone was able to provide very thorough information when he died. He died in Crystal Falls Township, which was where the county poor farm was located, and I assume he was there. It was kind of a hospital & was called "farm" because the residents helped grow crops to feed everybody. Today it is the Iron County Medical Care Facility, basically a nursing home where elderly people reside until death. I guess it is as happy of an ending as possible for this person. There were sometimes reports of woodsmen in the old days having logs fall on them or being found dead in bed or other unfortunate endings. At least we know he was housed in a good and warm place, got enough food, and probably was cared for and died pretty peacefully. Oh, LOL. The Courthouse person said "he must have been a tough old bird," which were my thoughts, too."

Egon what do you say: is it him? His mother's name? Johanne=Hanne. Gibson could that be Gribstrup?

She will see if she can find out more.

Eva M
Eva M

Jane C

This is fabulous Eva! Of course Egon must decide, but I do believe you have found him. When I first saw the mother's name, my thought was same as yours: Johanne=Hanne. Gibson could be Gribstrup.

Egon Toft

Hi again.
I am in no doubt, that this is the right person, Its too much of a coincidence, if Its not. So I will accept that you have , by persistent work, found my grandfarther Nels Christensen.
Its ironic, but I was a Seamand, shipping out of New York, from 1951 till 1959, had I known, that my grandfarther was siiting alone in a home in Crystal Falls, I could have gone to see him!!!
But we didnt know, my grandmother remarried in may 1916, and we kids always believed that her new husbond, was our real granfarther. Today I wish someone had told us the true story.
I can not thank you enough for your help, hope you can read my clumsy english.
Lots of love
Egon  :)

Jane C

Hi Egon - I realize maybe you won't come back here again - but I forgot to post these postcards earlier, so I will do it now in case you do see them. All photos are of Glidden, Wisconsin, where your grandfather lived in (at least) 1918.

It tugs at my heart too about you not seeing your grandfather.

Your English is wonderful -

Hugs