Help with date on birth record

Startet af Erik Schaefer, 24 Jan 2012 - 00:21

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Erik Schaefer

Churchbook:  Dover, Skanderborg 1786-1848 opslag 100 #2

I can see the father is Simon Sorensen and the wife is Johanne Lauritsdatter?  The child's name is Kirsten Simonsdatter.

I am still not very confident in my ability to calculate these church dates, and in fact I have trouble reading any words before "Simon".

Thank you
Research areas of interest:
Hjarup / Vamdrup / Sonder Broby / Taps/ Vantinge

Gammel Rye / Them/ Vrads

Morten Clausen

Hi
The date is the same as the one before, i.e. Aug. 7 1803. (Die eod - Eodem die - same day)
Best wishes
Morten

Lillian Møller Pavlovic

Hi Erik,
The text is,

"On the same day smallholder Simon Sørensen and Johanne Lauritzdatter's child from Illerup was brought to church, the child had been christened at home and given the name Kirsten, she was carried by a maid called Anne from Miesing; the sponsors were Niels Rasmussen, Søren Nielsen, Jens Pedersen and the wife of Søren Sørensen. The child was born on the 3rd July."

Regards,
Lillian

Erik Schaefer

Thank you both.

I noticed for most of my ancestors, they were christened within a few days of their birth.  In this case, Kirsten was christened a full month later.  Was there any reason for this?  Maybe the child was not in good health or something?  Just something I wondered.

I appreciate your full transcription Lillian and confirmation of parents names. 
Research areas of interest:
Hjarup / Vamdrup / Sonder Broby / Taps/ Vantinge

Gammel Rye / Them/ Vrads

Lillian Møller Pavlovic

Hi Erik,
Kirsten was born on the 3rd July and christened at home. We do not know the date, probably on the same (or the next) day. Then she was brought to church on the 7th August and the christening was "made public".
Christenings at home were very common due to the high rate of infant mortality. Children, who had not been christened, was not eligible for inheritance and could not be buried in consecrated ground (even though this often happened anyway).
Regards,
Lillian