Anna
Nick John
in the same household...

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Jane C

Bear River and Eagle Prairie
page 5 of 6

Jesse

This time I have tried twice to upload and it wouldn't work. I have resized it twice - now let's see if this works. But it will be small and hard for you to see.

Okay...that didn't work.
:(

Mvh

Homer Ficken

Lis, I've attached the census entry for Anna and her son John P. in Humboldt County 1900 because I overlooked earlier that a John Diedricksen born Dec 1863 was also in the household, maybe a nephew of Anna?  His immigration year is listed as 1881.

He was still unmarried in 1930 census and this must be his death record:

California Death Index, 1940-1997
about John Peter Diedrichsen Name: John Peter Diedrichsen
Social Security #: 0
Sex: Male
Birth Date: 20 Dec 1864
Birthplace: Other Country
Death Date: 10 May 1946
Death Place: Humboldt
Mother's Maiden Name: Mathiesen
Father's Surname: Diedrichsen

Note also that Anna is listed as mother of 5 children but only 4 then living.

Areas of interest:  Tønder county,  Brede, Daler, and Visby parishes
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=-skow-

Jane C

That's very interesting Homer.

About the offspring who died -

it must be John Nicholas who died.

Alameda County, California
24-Apr-1893 (Buried)
J. N. Hynding
Burial at Lone Tree Cemetery
LDS #1033875
Male, single, born about 22-Apr-1861 in Denmark

Link:
http://www.l-ags.org/Pre1905_Deaths/Pre1905_Hi-Hz.html

We have Nicoline in the 1910 census, and death records for Jesse (1932) Anne Marie (1947) and John Peter (1951).

Jane C

1926 Voter registration list for Humboldt County, California has
Mrs. Lena Christensen - don't know if this is Johanne Nicoline (Lena).

I don't see the family in 1920 or 1930 census or a death record for Edlef or Nicoline/Lena.

Good night now.

Mvh

Lis Nielsen

I have tried to find Johan Peters wedding, but I have no luck is there any of you who can. I've looked at FamilySearch.

vh Lis

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Lis Nielsen Dato 16 Jan 2012 - 16:20
I have tried to find Johan Peters wedding, but I have no luck is there any of you who can. I've looked at FamilySearch.

vh Lis

Listed by Ancestry in a family tree:

John Peter Hynding
Birth:  1864 - Denmark
Marriage:  15 Apr 1885
Spouse:  Matilda Christine Larson 

No other details are given.   Perhaps the wife died when the daughter Jenny L. was born April 1887 (listed in 1900 census).   Birthplace of Jenny's mother is listed as Illinois.

Lis Nielsen

Homer: I'm trying to look after John Peter Diedrichsen.
Jane: You write that I can order a microfilm, how do I do that when I am in Denmark. ??? ??? ???

Jane C

Hi Lis,

The only record we found with LDS as a source was the burial of John Nicolaj Hynding. I trust the website where we found that information (link above). So maybe it is that file you want to order.

I don't know how to order a Latter Day Saints (LDS) file. You can google to get to their website and that should tell you. I should think they will ship the microfilm anywhere in the world, Denmark too. Paul would know.

Paul often mentions using their service and maybe others do too - Homer? - I don't remember. So maybe some kind soul will tell you better how to order and use the service!

I just rememered that Ancestry.com will give you FREE access for 14 days. Since we have found so much of what you need, then it should not take too long for you to find the original records at Ancestry.

www.ancestry.com

Let us know if that works for you. If not we'll try another way.

Mvh

Another site listing John Peter's burial:
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cagha/cemeteries/alameda/mtvview-b2.txt

Aha - here is LDS Family History Library Film #1293772 w John Peter's wife dying in 1890, age 22, at birth of infant son, 2 days old.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cabf1905/Humboldt/HumboldtCo-hun-hy.htm

Jane C

John Dietrichsen 1930 in Rohnerville, Humboldt, California - to USA 1882

Yes he could be related - he is a "hired man" on the J. P. Hynding dairy farm in 1900 so it also could be he is not related. 1900
John Diedricksen
Birth Date: Dec 1863
Birthplace: Germany
Home in 1900: Table Bluff, Humboldt, California
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1881
Relation to Head of House: Servant
Marital Status: Single
Father's Birthplace: Denmark
Mother's Birthplace: Denmark
Other household Members:
John P Hynding 35 Farmer
Jenny L. Hynding 13
Annie C. Hynding 75
John Diedrichsen Farm Laborer

Jane C

John Peter Hynding became a state inspector for dairy farms it seems. He is mentioned as a dairy inspector in this book (records of the government of California):

Appendix to the Journals of the Senate and Assembly, CALIFORNIA, Forty-First Session, 1915

Link:
http://books.google.com/books?id=wfchAQAAMAAJ&pg=RA6-PA69&lpg=RA6-PA69&dq=John+Peter+Hynding+state+legislature+in+California+dairy&source=bl&ots=sp8aVpOPsB&sig=J6iFJ8DeNnbQH4HPQFBbxdbXoyc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=dXcUT9HLBaeW2AXTvfCDCg&sqi=2&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

This would have been an honor - a sign that the community trusted John Peter Hynding's honesty and judgment.

We know his wife died so young in 1890 leaving him with a three-year-old child (Jenny). In 1900 census he is not remarried; his mother Anna is living with him and Jenny. It is possible Anna had been there with him many years helping to raise Jenny. And he becomes a successful man in the community. I am guessing, but my guess is that Anna has been an invaluable help to him along the way.

Jane C

Humboldt County, California
Biographies

http://www.cagenweb.com/humboldt/bios/Humb.748-866.htm

FRANK J. CUMMINGS.—One of the well known educators of Cali­fornia, and one whose work has always been of an especially high order, is Frank J. Cummings, now of Ferndale, where he is engaged in farming. For many years, however, he was actively engaged in the profession of teaching, and has held positions of trust and influence in some of the largest schools of the state. Everywhere that he has taught he has made many friends, and his standing in the profession is exceptionally high. Since taking up farming he has met with much merited success, and has brought the same carefully trained mind to apply upon all farm questions that he formerly employed to solve the problems of the school room.

Mr. Cummings is a native of California, having been born in Petrolia, Humboldt county, May 24, 1871. His father was Lewis J. Cummings, a native of Indiana, born February 21, 1832, and his mother was Elizabeth Miner, a native of Ohio, born June 16, 1841. In 1850 the father came to California in company with his father, Josiah Cummings, and a brother, Amos, driving a herd of cattle across the plains from Wisconsin, and locating near Placerville. They lost a large number of their cattle in crossing the plains through the raids of the Indians, who never lost an opportunity to kill and drive off their stock. Although bringing the herd of stock with them, they really came to California in search of gold, and accordingly they took up a claim and engaged in mining for two years, in which they were very successful. In 1852 Lewis J. Cummings returned to his home in Janesville, Rock county, Wis., going by way of the Isthmus of Panama. He made the trip across the Isthmus on foot, walking the distance in three days, and again taking passage to New Orleans, and thence up the Mississippi to Wis­consin. While there he was married to Elizabeth Miner. Mercantile pursuits occupied his attention until the call came from the anti-slavery men of Kansas to the people of the north to come and help make Kansas a free state.

They responded and located on a farm in Linn county, Kans., and there Mr. Cummings took part in the struggle, which was bloody at times, but which resulted in bringing Kansas in as a free state. In the early '60s he again crossed the plains with ox-teams, bringing his wife and her brother, Cyrus Miner. They first went to Walla Walla, Wash., and after a year made their way to Marysville, Cal., where Mr. Cummings teamed for two years. He then came with pack mules over the mountains to Humboldt and took up a claim at Petrolia, which he cleared and improved and upon which he followed stock-raising until the time of his death in 1901. The mother is still living, making her home in Eureka with her daughter, Mrs. J. S. Burnell.

The boyhood days of Frank J. Cummings were spent on the farm in Petrolia, where he attended the public schools and then attended the N. S. Phelps Academy, at Eureka, from which he was graduated in 1889, and that same year was given a certificate to teach in the public schools of the state. His first school was in Phillipsville, where he remained for three and a half years. Then followed a year and a half in the McDermott school district.

It was in 1894 that Mr. Cummings first came to Ferndale and taught the Grant school on the island, remaining there three and a half years. In 1897 he gave up teaching for a time and entered Stanford University, at Palo Alto, where he specialized in history and economics, being graduated in 1901. He then accepted a position in Fresno county, as principal of the grammar schools at Fowler, where he remained for a year, then returning to Humboldt county to accept the position of principal of the public schools of Fortuna, remaining for a year. Following this he went to Eureka, where he filled the position of teacher of history in the high school for five years, and for the two follow­ing years he taught history in the high school at Sacramento. The Union High School at Ferndale then secured his services as principal, and he re­turned to Humboldt county to make it his permanent home. Later he gave up teaching, and in the fall of 1911 he moved onto his present home place, where he is engaged in general farming and dairying, making a specialty of the latter. He has been very successful in this new enterprise, and has a fine line of registered Jersey stock, of which he is justly proud.

Since becoming a farmer, Mr. Cummings has taken a great interest in all that pertains to the dairy business, and is an active factor in the Ferndale Cow Testing Association, and has been president of this organization for two years. He was one of the prominent organizers of the Humboldt County Dairymen's Association, and is secretary of the association at the present time. He is a director at large of the Humboldt County Farm Bureau which directs the activities of the farm adviser.

Mr. Cummings is also popular in fraternal circles, being a member of Fortuna Lodge No. 221, I. 0. 0. F., in Eureka, of which he is past grand. He was made a Mason in Ferndale Lodge No. 193, F. & A. M., of which he is past master. Although a man of many activities, Mr. Cummings has been vitally interested in local questions of general welfare and has been a factor in securing many local improvements. He was instrumental in securing the rural free mail delivery service for the island, and has been associated with other similar public movements. He is a Republican in politics, and is the central committeeman from his district.

The marriage of Mr. Cummings took place in Ferndale, November 16, 1902, uniting him with Miss Christine Nissen, also a native of California, hav­ing been born in Humboldt county August 19, 1878, on Bear river ridge. She is the daughter of E. P. and Maria (Hynding) Nissen, well known Humboldt pioneers, having resided in this county for many years. To Mr. and Mrs. Cummings have been born four children, Loyd, Ellis, Keith and Merle, all attending the local schools.

Both Mr. and Mrs. Cummings enjoy the friendship of a wide circle of friends. Mr. Cummings has always been especially energetic and active, and is acknowledged as one of the leading men of the community in which he lives. He is up to date in all his farming methods, and is well informed on all the latest scientific phases of farm life and agriculture. His success has been pronounced, and is certainly deserved.

Jane C

I'm back. : D

Pacific, Humboldt, California
Frank J. Cummings 48 Farmer, dairy farm
***Christine Cummings 41. Born in California; father born in Germany, mother born in Denmark
Lloyd F. Cummings 16
Ellis M. Cummings 14
Keith M. Cummings 12
Marie C. Cummings 11
Helen S. Cummings 4
***An alternate name given with this record is Christine Nissen

An Edward Hynding born about 1891 is a neighbor on the same page of the census.

Edward Hynding 28 Farmer, dairy farm. Born in California; parents born in Denmark
Inga 26. Born in Califorrnia; parents born in Denmark.
Elaine 5

Jane C

Here is Christine in 1910 and 1930 (daughter of Anna Marie Hynding and Elle Peter Nissen)

Sutter, Sacramento, California
The Cummings family:
Frank G. Cunnings 33 [38], high school teacher
Christina A. Cunnings 31 Born in California; parents both born in Denmark
Lloyd F Cunnings 6
Ellis R Cunnings 4
Keith M Cunnings 2-8/12
Merle E Cunnings 1-5/12
Annie M. Olander 17, maid

Palo Alto, Santa Clara, California
Christine Cummings 51
Marie E Cummings 21
Helen S Cummings 15
Marie Nisson 76

CALIFORNIA DEATH INDEX
Name: Christin N Cummings
Sex: Female
Birth Date: 19 Aug 1878
Birthplace: California
Death Date: 5 Oct 1966
Death Place: Santa Clara
Mother's Maiden Name: Hynding

Jane C

Daugher of John Peter Hynding.

1910 (posted before)
Table Bluff, Humboldt, California
William Bockmann 30
Jennie L. Bockmann 23
John P. Hynding 45

1920 (posted earlier)
Eden, Alameda, California
William Bockman 39
Jennie Bockman 32
Harold Bockman 8
John P. Hynding 55 father-in-law widowed to USA 1878

Hayward, Alameda, California (just across San Francisco Bay from San Francisco)
William Bockman 50, mechanic in an implement shop
Jennie Bockman 42

CALIFORNIA DEATH INDEX
Name: Jennie Louise Bockman
[Jennie Louise Hynding]
Birth Date: 14 Apr 1887
Death Date: 28 Feb 1981
Death Place: Alameda
Mother's Maiden Name: Larsen
Father's Surname: Hynding

her son Harold:
CALIFORNIA DEATH INDEX
Name: Harold William Bockman
Birth Date: 21 Sep 1911
Death Date: 14 Nov 1982
Death Place: Alameda

BURIAL Jenny and William: Mountain View Cemetery, Oakland, Alameda County, CA

Last             First           Middle          Birth          Death          Plot    Notes

Bockman          Frederick                                      4/5/1937*      CLM     S/W: Hynding, John Peter
Bockman          Jennie          L.                             3/6/1981*      CLM     S/W: Bockman, Frederick
Bockman          William         Martin                         6/21/1944*     CLM     S/W: Bockman, Jennie L.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cagha/cemeteries/alameda/mtvview-b2.txt

Jane C

That Edward Hynding, neighbor to Christine Hynding Cummings, is Jesse's son I think:

1900 (as posted before)
Island, (Ferndale), Humboldt, California
Jesse Hynding 41 born June 1858 in Denmark to USA 1874
Matilda Hynding 36 married 1888
Louridge Hynding 10
Hans Hynding 8
Edward Hynding 8
John Hynding 6
Annie Hynding 3

World War I registration (attached)

1920 - (as posted before)
Edward Hynding 28 Farmer, dairy farm. Born in California; parents born in Denmark
Inga 26. Born in Califorrnia; parents born in Denmark.
Elaine 5

Union, Humboldt, California
Edward Hynding 37 Dairy farmer.
     Born in California; father born Schleswig Holstein; mother born Copenhagen
Inge M Hynding 36 wife
Eldine P Hyndine 16
Francis L Hynding 9
Antone Derienzo 36 (lodger)
Frank Henry 16 (lodger)
Grace Farrand 23 (cook)

Jane C

Edward Hynding (Jesse's son)
World War II registration (attached)

Edward's daughter Elaine
CALIFORNIA BIRTH INDEX
Name: Elaine P Hynding
Birth Date: 6 Feb 1914
Mother's Maiden Name: Smith
Birth County: Humboldt

CALIFORNIA DEATH INDEX
Name: Edward Hynding
Birth Date: 10 May 1892
Death Date: 26 Oct 1949
Death Place: Humboldt

Jane C

Jesse's son John

John Hynding World War I registration in Gonzalez, Humboldt, Califiornia
(attached)

CALIFORNIA DEATH INDEX
Name: John Hynding
Birth Date: 24 Dec 1893
Death Date: 29 Oct 1975
Death Place: Monterey

Social Security Death Index
Last Known Address for John Hynding (1893-1975): Salinas, Monterey County, California

Now I'm confused - it could be this John Hynding who was the diary inspector. Needs to be checked!!

Jane C

Jesse's daughter Anna:
1900 (posted before)
Island, (Ferndale), Humboldt, California
Matilda Hynding 36 married 1888
Louridge Hynding 10
Hans Hynding 8
Edward Hynding 8
John Hynding 6
Annie Hynding 3

1910 (posted before)
Jess P. Hynding 51
Matilda Hynding 44
John Hynding 15
Annie Hynding 13

San Francisco, San Francisco, California
Anna Doody 33, widowed, teacher, public school
John W. Doody 9
Mary D Doody 8
Mathilda Hynding 65

CALIFORNIA DEATH INDEX
Name: Anna H Doody
[Anna H Hynding]
Birth Date: 8 Jul 1896
Death Date: 11 May 1983
Death Place: Tulare
Mother's Maiden Name: Nielsen

Name: Anna Doody
Last Residence: 93277 Visalia, Tulare, California, United States of America
Born: 8 Jul 1896
Died: May 1983 State (Year) SSN issued: California (1962)

This is probably the daughter of Anna Hynding Doody:
CALIFORNIA DEATH INDEX
Name: Mary Dee Simonson
[Mary Dee Doody]
Birth Date: 21 Jan 1922
Death Date: 5 May 1984
Death Place: Tulare
Father's Surname: Doody

It must be the daughter of Mary Dee Simonson who posted the earlier message re. Mathilde, Jesse's wife. Here is another post I found another by this daughter of Mary Doody Simonson/granddaughter of Anna Hynding Doody:

"To Nina and anyone else who have ancestors from Tonder Denmark, I have some microfilms from tonder Denmark for vital records. I would be happy to search the records for you....Nina, what are the given names for your Olesens and Petersens? I have Olesen and Petersen ancestors that were from Tonder. Were there any Hunding, Hynding, or Hundings in your family? My grandmother was Anna Hynding Doody. Her father Jess Johansen Hynding was born in 1858 in Denmark. His parents were Lauritz Hynding and Anna Christina Diederichsen Hynding. Lauritz died in Tonder and Anna immigrated to America (she died in Humboldt Co Ca). I look forward to hearing from anyone who has links to these families.
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/DENMARK/1999-10/0939253475

Jane C

Notice Mathilde Hynding is divorced from Jesse in 1930 when she is living with her daughter Anna.
1930 census, San Francisco, attached.

Jane C

Here is John W. Doody
(John W. Doody's mother is Anna Hynding Doody - Anna's parents are Mathilde and Jesse Johansen Hynding)

California Birth Index
Name: John W Doody
Birth Date: 19 Jul 1920
Birth County: Los Angeles

California Death Index
Name: John William Doody
Social Security #: 556262997
Birth Date: 19 Jul 1920
Death Date: 14 Mar 1993
Death Place: San Mateo, California

Name: John W. Doody
Last Residence: 94015 Daly City, San Mateo, California, United States of America
Born: 19 Jul 1920
Died: 14 Mar 1993 State (Year)
Social Security Number issued: California (Before 1951)

Below is a link for the obituary of a Dorothy Doody. She must be John's wife. Her husband was a John W. Doody. She died in Daly City, California, like "our" John did. And she is aunt to the family who posted the message above about the Hynding family in Tønder and California.

Dorothy Doody (February 03, 1920 to April 20, 2011 )
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sfgate/obituary.aspx?n=dorothy-doody&pid=150486308&fhid=2515

Jane C

1914-1915 Directory of businesses and people in Eureka, Humboldt, California

Jane C

Looked again for immigration info - not too lucky but I did find a man who might be John Diedrichsen who went to Humboldt County, California. It seems to be the same man.

TO USA
Name: Joh Diedrichsen
Departure Date: 16 Nov 1881
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1864
Age Year: 17
Residence: Duborg, Schleswig (Schleswig-Holstein)
Ship Name: Lessing
Captain: Voss
Shipping Line: Hamburg-Amerikanische Packetfahrt-Actien-Gesellschaft
Ship Type: Dampfschiff Accommodation: Zwischendeck
Ship Flag: Deutschland
Port of Departure: Hamburg
Port of Arrival: New York
Volume: 373-7 I, VIII A 1 Band 042 C Page: 1932 Microfilm Roll Number: K_1726

Lis Nielsen

holy p. ...... I may soon not go to work anymore because every time I come home and open the computer, there's loads of information from you Jane. You must have the world's biggest hug.
I've just been to the library and got a book written in 1995 (300 pages+ pictures, I did not know it existed) on a different part of Hynding family. So I will just look at your post later when I can grasp it all. All the Information is a little too much right now.  ;D

Big hug Lis ;D

Jane C

Hi Lis!

You are welcome. : D Okay, this will be my last post for you.

Jesse's son Louridge/Louis:
(posted before)
Pacific Township, Island, (Ferndale), Humboldt, California
Matilda Hynding 36 married 1888 born March 1864 in Denmark
Louridge Hynding 10 born January 1890
Hans Hynding 8
Edward Hynding 8
John Hynding 6
Annie Hynding 3

Rasmus Neilson 35
Jessie Neilson 32
Helene Neilson 5
Lois Neilson 2
Mabel Robinson 19
Clarence O Robinson 21
Martin Samuelson 18
Martin Stadie 19
**Louis Hunding 21 single, HIRED MAN, father born in Denmark
     [**transcribed as Louis but looks like Lours to me]

1914-1915
Louis Hynding is listed in the Directory of City of Eureka and Humboldt County (posted above)

San Diego, California
Joined the US Army and stationed in San Diego
Name: Louis Hynding
[Louis Heynding]
[Louis Handing]
Birth Year: abt 1890
Home in 1920: San Diego, San Diego, California
Race: White
Marital Status: Single
Father's Birthplace: Denmark
Mother's Birthplace: Denmark

San Diego, San Diego, California
Louie Hynding 41
Alice E. Hynding 36

World War II Draft Registration
Name: Louie Hynding
Birth Date: 12 Jan 1889
Birth Place: Watsonville, California
Residence: Sacramento, California
Employer: Air Depot Engineering
Wife: Alice Edna Hynding

CALIFORNIA DEATH INDEX
Name: Louie Hynding
Social Security #: 561301015
Birth Date: 12 Jan 1889
Death Date: 3 Jul 1982
Death Place: Sacramento
Mother's Maiden Name: Holstein [?! Maybe this is her birthplace - a transcription mistake]

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Jane Christiansen Dato 17 Jan 2012 - 16:09
Looked again for immigration info - not too lucky but I did find a man who might be John Diedrichsen who went to Humboldt County, California. It seems to be the same man.

TO USA
Name: Joh Diedrichsen
Departure Date: 16 Nov 1881
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1864
Age Year: 17
Residence: Duborg, Schleswig (Schleswig-Holstein)
Ship Name: Lessing
Captain: Voss
Shipping Line: Hamburg-Amerikanische Packetfahrt-Actien-Gesellschaft
Ship Type: Dampfschiff Accommodation: Zwischendeck
Ship Flag: Deutschland
Port of Departure: Hamburg
Port of Arrival: New York
Volume: 373-7 I, VIII A 1 Band 042 C Page: 1932 Microfilm Roll Number: K_1726

AO 1826-1898 Bylderup, Slogs, Tønder, opslag 368

No. 5 - Johan Nicolaj Dideriksen born 27 Dec 1863, bapt. 17 Jan 1864,
parents Hans Peter Diderksen and Anne Margrethe Petersen of Duborg.
(surname spelled Diederichsen in 1879 confirmation record)

Birth month and year match the 1900 census listing, but not the 1946 death record of a John Peter Diedrichsen, which lists mother's name as Mathiesen.  But since John apparently never married and left descendants, the informant for the death record may have had wrong data.

At least some of the Hynding's are also recorded Bylderup, eg. Jess Johansen Hynding born 2 Jun 1858 (opslag 275) and Johan Nicolai Hynding born 18 May 1861 (opslag 315)

Lis Nielsen

Anna Christine Didrichsen / Hynding had a little brother named Hans Peter, so it seems that Johan Nicholas Dideriksen could be a nephew, I will also look at it ...

I must have made ​​a list of what I should have looked after.
;D ;D ;D
lis

Homer Ficken

The John Peter Diedrichsen who died 1946 was probably this person:

1910 census Table Bluff, Humboldt County
Pete Diedrichsen 45 Denmark, to USA 1902

And this person at a different Table Bluff address in 1910 was probably John Nicolai Diedrichsen:

John Diedrichs 45 Denmark, to US 1881

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

John Nicolai Diedrichsen may also have had a half brother who came to Humboldt County:

1900 census Eureka, Humboldt County
Hans Deidrickson, Mar 1873 Germany, to USA 1889

1875-1896 Bylderup, Slogs, Tønder, opslag 455
Hans Anton Diedrichsen born 13 Mar 1873, parenrs Hans Peter Diedrichsen and Maria Nielsen of Duborg.

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hi all,

There is also a Niels Christian Diedrichsen of Humboldt who was born in Duburg on 10 Apr 1871.  He was listed on Hans's World War I draft registration.  Niels came to the US from Bremen on the 12 Nov 1888 on the Lahn.

mvh
Paul

Jane C

Very interesting about the Diedrichsens!

A family tree listing Nicoline and husband Edlef Christensen states that they were born in the same place in Denmark:
http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/l/e/i/Deanna-Marlene-Leip-OR/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0050.html

Johanna Nicoline Hynding (daughter of Hynding and Anna Christen) was born December 08, 1855 in Braunschlesivig, Denmark, and died September 26, 1936 in Oakland, Solano, California. She married Edlif Christensen on August 29, 1875 in Dewight Livingston, Illinois. Edlif Christensen was born February 12, 1847 in Braunschlesivig, Denmark, and died December 08, 1917
Children of Johanna Nicoline Hynding and Edlif Christensen are:
     Laura Amelia Christensen, b. November 05, 1879, Ferndale, Humboldt, California, d. March 14, 1949, Klamath Falls, Klamath, Oregon. Laura married Frank Schroeder. Her obituary states that five children survive her: Fred Schroeder and Elmore Schroeder, both of Lewistown, Idaho; Raymond Schroeder of Tule Lake, California; Mrs. Edith Duncan and Mrs. Theda Jones, both of Klamath Falls, Idaho; two brothers, E.W. Christensen of North Powder, and Henry Christensen of Tillamook; and three sisters, Mrs. W.A. Curry, Arcata, California; Mrs George Fraser, San Francisco, Calif., and Mrs. Gussie Hill, Larkspur, Calif. There are eight grandchildren and one great-grandchild.