Anton Jensen Roots

Startet af Jane C, 27 Dec 2011 - 00:06

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Jane C

Hi everyone and hope you all have had a merry Christmas!

Looking for help with the ancestry of a cousin, Anton Jensen. Don't know where he was born in Denmark.

He was born 12 APRIL 1884 in Denmark (World War I draft record) and baptised Anton JENSEN. Family story says he he grew up with the name Anton NIELSEN.

His father was JENS NIELSEN and mother HANNAH OLIVIA ANDERSEN (per his marriage 22 Jan 1911, in Audubon, Iowa, home of his bride Marie Christine Rasmussen).  I tried to find thes parent but haven't.

Family story tells that his mother died in childbirth when his sister, Maren/Marin Nielsen, was born in 1886. He and Marin were given to separate families to be raised. They knew each other and had some contact while they were growing up. When Anton decided to emigrate to the United States, he needed his birth/baptismal record, and that is when he discovered he had been baptized "Anton Jensen." That is the name he used in the USA.

Also the family story is that a woman called him in the USA asking if he had a sister named Maren Nielsen and he said no - he was so used to the surname Jensen. He hung up, and then realized it must be his sister! But he had no way to contact her! This was in the 1930s. I would love to find her descendants.

Anton Jensen and wife Mary are in the census in Omaha, Douglas, Nebraska in 1910, 1920, 1930. Anton died in Omaha in 1937. He was a blacksmith/smed, and later a auto repair shop owner.

The 1920 census states he immigrated in 1904.

The family story is that he came from Jutland, maybe northern Jutland, from a place starting with A - which makes one think of Ålborg.

I found this emigration record, which could maybe be him:

Name:  Jensen, Anton
Destination:  Omaha
Contract no.:  300300
Registration date:  5/28/1904
Birth place:  Fjerritslev Birth place:  Kollerup
Last res. parish:  Sr. Kongerslev Last res. county:  Aalborg Last residence:  S. Kongerslev
Destination country: USA Destination city: Omaha Destination state: Nebraska
Name of ship:  Indirekte IDcode: I0405J0206

There's a Fjerritslev in Kollerup, Vester Han, Thisted, near Aalborg.

Your thoughts gang?

Jesper Skov

Sønder Kongerslev, Hellum, Ålborg 1860-1891 opslag 41

Kind regards,

Jesper Skov

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hi Jane,

I only found one Anton Jensen in the Kollerup kirkebog.  He was born 31 Oct 1882, opslag 56 nr 13, parents Niels Andreas Jensen and Karen Kristensen.  Doesn't sound like your Anton.

Sincerely,
Paul

Jesper Skov

Jensine Andersen, Nørre Kongerslev, Hellum, Aalborg 1858-1888 opslag 125
Maren Elise Petrea Nielsen, Blenstrup, Hellum, Aalborg 1880-1891 opslag 57

aalborg, Hornum, Bislev, Holmager By Bislev Sogn, En Gaard, 86, FT-1880, C1832
Navn: Alder: Civilstand: Stilling i husstanden: Erhverv: Fødested:
Just Andersen 32  Gift Husfader Gaardeier  Bislev Sogn
Maren født Jensen 32  Gift Hans Hustru  Simested Sogn
Anders Andersen 3  Ugift Barn  Bislev Sogn
Jens Andersen 1  Ugift Barn  Bislev Sogn
Else Andersen 1  Ugift Barn  Bislev Sogn
Johane Olivia Andersen 14  Ugift Tjener  SverIg
Bertel Nielsen 11  Ugift Tjener  Bislev Sogn
Anders Christensen 72  Enkemand Aftægtsmand  Store Bonerup

aalborg, Hellum, Blenstrup, Blendstrup Sogn, Aalborg Amt, Henriksdal, 123, FT-1890, D2677
Kristian Lassen 44  Gift Husfader Forpagter Volstrup, Hjørring Amt
Bertine Lassen født Nielsen 41  Gift Husmoder  Sønderholm, Aalborg Amt
Anne Thyge Otilie Lassen 7  Ugift Datter  Blendstrup, Aalborg Amt
Hans Peter Thygesen Lassen 5  Ugift Datter  Blendstrup, Aalborg Amt
Klara Henriette Kristensen 16  Ugift  Lærerinde Frederikshavn
Petrea Jensen 21  Ugift Tyende Mejerske Hobro, Aalborg Amt
Johanne Olivie Andersen 29  Ugift Tyende Kokkepige Sverrig
Karen Andersen 27  Ugift Tyende Stuepige Brovst, Hjørring Amt
Anne Marie Madsen 25  Ugift Tyende Udgangspige Vrejlev, Hjørring Amt
Berndine Kristine Nielsen 21  Ugift Tyende Bryggerspige Mou, Aalborg Amt
Oskar Kristian Valdemar Spaanhede 34  Gift Tyende Forkarl Aalborg
Frederik Larsen 22  Ugift Tyende Arbejdskarl Fræer, Aalborg Amt
Ernst Marinus Jensen 15  Ugift Tyende Dreng Blenstrup, Aalborg Amt
Jens Kristian Nielsen 52  Gift Tyende Røgter Gunderup, Aalborg Amt

Kind regards,

Jesper Skov

Jesper Skov

aalborg, Hellum, Nørre Kongerslev, Nørre Kongerslev, et Hus, 92, FT-1890, D2681
Niels Kristian Larsen 58  Gift Husfader Husmand Gudum, Aalborg Amt
Jensine Sørensen Larsen 51  Gift Husmoder  Nørre Kongerselv
Niels Peter Larsen 16  Ugift Barn Skomagerdreng Nørre Kongerselv
Anton Nielsen 5  Ugift Plejebarn  Sønder Kongerslev

aalborg, Hellum, Nørre Kongerslev, Nørre Kongerslev Kjær, Samme Hus, 103, FT-1890, D2681
Anders Rasmussen 82  Enkemand Aftægt af Jordbruget Skibsted Sogn, Aalborg Amt
Jensine Andersen 4  Ugift Plejebarn fra Moderen N. Kongerslev
Maren Elise Petrea Nielsen under 1 aar   Plejebarn fra Moderen Blenstrup Sogn, Aalborg Amt

Kind regards,

Jesper Skov

Jane C

! ! !

How surprising!

Thank you so very much to you both, Jesper and Paul!!! This gives an entirely different picture of what really happened!

Jesper in your first post you cite "Sønder Kongerslev, Hellum, Ålborg 1860-1891 opslag 41," which must be the birth of Anton and also you cite two more churchbook references, which must be the births of his sisters. Now I must confess to you the embarrassing fact that I still cannot figure out how to use the Danish archives site. That is a goal for myself. I am sorry it is hard for me to read for myself - technology in general does not come easily to me.

So, not having looked at those (and I would welcome your reading them to me!), the story seems to be:

A young woman Johanne Olivia Andersen, born about 1866, immigrates from Sweden to Denmark and becomes a working girl in Bislev Sogn, Hornum, Aalborg. She does not marry, but has three children (not two?) Anton, Jensine, and Maren Elise. With the same father? Jens Nielsen?

In 1890 Johanne Olivia lives in Blenstrup Sogn, 5-year-old son Anton lives in Nørre Kongerslev with the Niels Kristian Larsen family, and daughters 4-year-old Jensine and baby Marin live in Nørre Kongerslev with Anders Rasmussen. (Is Anders the grandfather?)

In other words, the children were told she died in 1886 - but she did not. Or else Anton simply told the story that way, perhaps because it "sounded better."

This is amazing.

I can't wait to tell the family about this! Certainly it would not be known that Anton's parents were unmarried, that his mother was Swedish, that she lived on, that he had another sister. The circumstances help explain why he was not staying in touch with his family.

I hope I'm interpreting what you've posted correctly.

Jesper Skov

I doubt it is the grandfather.

Kirkebøger

Amt:    Ålborg
Herred: Hellum
Sogn:   Sønder Kongerslev

Opslag 41

---
13 April
---
Anton Jensen
---
Hjemmedøbt
som syg d. 26
April 1884
I Kirken
d. 10 Maj
---
Pigen Hanne Olivia
Andersen
i S. Kongerslev
og udlagt Barnefader
Ungkarl Jens Nielsen
for Tiden tjenende paa
Kjellingbjerggaard.
---
25½ Aar
---
1. Moderen selv, 2. Pigen Hansine
Linør, 3. Faderen selv, 4. Indsidder
Christian Pedersen fra N. Kongerslev,
5. Ungkarl Peder Brandt Sørensen
af Sønder Kongerslev.

Kind regards,

Jesper Skov

Jane C

WOW!

Thank you Jesper!!

So the emigration record I found for an Anton Jensen is DEFINITELY the right one - because it leads us straight to parents with the right names!

This seems to be proof positive we have the right family - even if the story is changed from what we in the USA had heard.

Now I'm excited to learn more -

Again, many thanks!

Jane C

"...og udlagt Barnefader.."

Means "and the illegitimate child's father", yes?

udlagt = uægte?

Another question - why on his emigration record does he state he's born in Fjerritslev, Kollerup? Maybe there's no answer for that. Certainly it seems to be the same Anton that Jesper found born in Sønder Kongerslev, Hellum, Ålborg.

Jesper Skov

udlagt Barnefader = alleged father

Nørre Kongerslev, Hellum, Ålborg 1858-1888 opslag 125

---
22. Septbr.
---
Jensine Andersen
---
Døbt i S. K.
Kirke den
17 Octobr
---
Pigen Johanne Oliva
Andersen
tjenende paa
Stensgaard nu hos Ind-
sidder Niels Chr. Jørgensen
s. Sogn
---
26 Aar
---
1. Morten Nørgaards Kone S. K.
2. Thjenestepige Oline Hansen Stensgaard
3. Thj.Karl Niels Mortensen Mortensen Kongstedlund
4. -/- Hans Chr. Andersen - do -
5. Skrædder Chr. Peter Olesen S. K.

No father mentioned.

Kind regards,

Jesper Skov

Jesper Skov

Blenstrup, Hellum, Ålborg 1880-1891 opslag 57

---
8. Oktober
---
Maren Elise Petrea Nielsen
---
Hj.dbt. 30 Janu-
ar 1890
---
Uægte Barn. Ugift svensk
Fruentimmer Johanne
Olivia Andersen
, for
Tiden til Huse hos Bmd.
Andreas Pedersen, Linden-
borg Mark.
---
---
---
10 Maanedersdagen paa
Henriksdal. Daa-
ben forrettet af Sogne-
præsten i S. Kongers-
lev. Barnefaderens Kri-
stian Nielsens
Tilladelse
til Efternavnet. Med-
delelse om Daaben no-
teret 28/2 90.

Kind regards,

Jesper Skov

Jane C

Thank you again Jesper! You are putting a very big smile on my face! ! ! ! !

No father mentioned...so maybe it's a different father or Jens Nielsen is at least not claiming this child. This would explain why Jensine is given her mother's surname while the other children are given surnames that come from their father (Jensen and Nielsen).

Confusing even for Anton - no wonder he hung up on his own sister, poor guy.

Jane C

Oh - now with your new post Jesper, it's that Maren also had a different father from Anton, Kristian Nielsen. I wonder if Maren immigrated or if the phone call re. the sister that Anton got in Nebraska maybe could have come from another woman, a relative or friend of hers. I'm going to look for her.

You have gone to a lot of trouble to help me Jesper - I so appreciate all this news I most likely never would have found for myself!!!

Jane C

All of the following (from Maren's baptism) is not translating very well for me with translation software:

10 Maanedersdagen paa
Henriksdal. Daa-
ben forrettet af Sogne-
præsten i S. Kongers-
lev. Barnefaderens Kri-
stian Nielsens Tilladelse
til Efternavnet. Med-
delelse om Daaben no-
teret 28/2 90.

I think something happened at Henriksdale - the baptism happened in that other parish, S. Kongerslev. The child will be given the aftername of the father. The priest here at Blenstrup is simply recording the baptism that took place at S. Kongerslev.

Is that the gist of it?

Jesper Skov

Now I'm not sure if the Johane Olivia Andersen 14 years of age in the 1880 census it the right one.

Her father is Anders Svensson as of the confirmation (Bislev, Hornum, Ålborg 1859-1883).
She is born 2. april 1865 in Sweden.

But the Johanne Olivia Andersen you are looking for is 25½ in 1885 (Anton), 26 in 1886 (Jensine), 28 in 1889 (Maren) and 29 in 1890 (census), which should make here birth year about 1859-1861.

I will continue the investigation.

Kind regards,

Jesper Skov

Jesper Skov

10 months before birth
at Henriksdal
Christening done by
the priest in Sønder Kongerslev
[actually to be found in Nørre Kongerslev church book opslag 11]
Father Kristian Nielsens permission to use his surname.
The information regarding the christening is added 28. february 1890.

Kind regards,

Jesper Skov

Jane C

Ah....thank you!

One answer leads to another question, it seems....

Ten months before birth the mother was at Henriksdale....?

Jane C

Citat fra: Jesper Skov Dato 27 Dec 2011 - 16:26
Now I'm not sure if the Johane Olivia Andersen 14 years of age in the 1880 census it the right one.

Her father is Anders Svensson as of the confirmation (Bislev, Hornum, Ålborg 1859-1883).
She is born 2. april 1865 in Sweden.

But the Johanne Olivia Andersen you are looking for is 25½ in 1885 (Anton), 26 in 1886 (Jensine), 28 in 1889 (Maren) and 29 in 1890 (census), which should make here birth year about 1859-1861.

I will continue the investigation.

Kind regards,

Jesper Skov

I see what you mean - the 1880 Johanne Olivia is born about 1866. I am so excited I did not notice that!

Jesper Skov

No.

In the birth record the priest writes down where the illegitimate child was conceived - by law the place where the mother lived 10 months prior to the birth. The parish where she lived has the social and economical responsibility for the child.

Kind regards,

Jesper Skov

Jane C

I see!

So there is a standardized legal way to assign responsibility.

Again, thank you, thank you!

Jane C

With your help, I have now found this 1904 record and surely this is the right Anton!

Anton Jensen, 21 years 1 month, single, smith, Danish, departing Helsingborg Sweden 02 June 1904, arrive New York 19 June 1904, aboard the S. S. Adria, last residence ___ Aalborg, going to Omaha, Nebraska, passage paid by friend Soren Nielsen.

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Jane C

Can one of these men be Jens Nielsen, the father of Anton?

Aalborg, Hellum, Nørre Kongerslev, Nørrekongerslev Bye og Sogn, En Gaard, Nr.1, FT-1880, C2496
large household of many people....
Jens Nielsen 30 Ugift Tjenestekarl Her i Sognet
Jens Nielsen 19 Ugift Tjenestekarl Her i Sognet

It is strange about the 14-year-old Johanne Olivia Andersen in 1880 - she has the same name, is in the same place, and is born in Sweden! - as is the other Johanne Olivia Andersen. That's a distinctive group of facts. Almost believable that it's the same person, even if the age in the children's birth records is so different from the 1880 census age and the confirmation age. Can it be she's forgotten how old she is? Is there some advantage to her to lie?

Jane C

Found online:

http://www.sognetraef.dk/index.asp?a=result&forskerid=1268
Søger
Jeg søger efter johanne olivia anderson, født i sverige i år 1865, kommer til danmark (bislev sogn, hornum herred) ca.år 1870. er i år 1889 kokkepige på gården henriksdal nær lindenborg, føder en datter i 1890, som får navnet maren nielsen, barnet bortadobteres til familie i st. brøndum. jeg kan derefter ikke spore moderen johanne olivia, rejser hun ud af sognet og hvorhen??. jeg håber på at få en hjælpende hånd til at løse gåden,så jeg har noget at arbejde videre med.

A second post by same person:
jeg søger oplysninger om anders svensson, er svensk indvandre,er kommet til landet ca. år 1870, har børn henholdsvis johan august og johanne olivia begge født i sverige, hvem er moderen og hvor rejser børnene hen, da de forlader sognet??

So this poster believes the Johanne born 1865 is the mother of "our" Maren Nielsen...but doesn't say why.

A puzzle!

Jane C

Here is Anders Svensson and daughter Johanne Olivia Andersen discussed in this forum. Now I'll see if I can understand what is written!

My email to this poster came back, but I have tried to reach him another way (Facebook). We'll have to wait to see if I found the right person, and if he answers.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=da&u=http://www.dis-danmark.dk/forum/search.php%3F0,search%3DBislev,page%3D4,match_type%3DALL,match_dates%3D0,match_forum%3DALL&ei=KPv5TpLmNMmMgweGu7GeAg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCQQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3DAnders%2BSvensson%2Bin%2BBislev,%2BHornum,%2B%25C3%2585lborg%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1341%26bih%3D617%26prmd%3Dimvnso

Hej Hanne. Tak for tilbud om hjælp til svenske aner,måske kan du hjælpe mig med en familie der udvandrer til danmark i perioden 1865-1875.
The family consists of:
Anders Svensson, born 1856-09-15, Navrebo, Istorp [1856! must be a mistake]
Brita Stina Olofsdotter, born 1826-05-08, Rusagården, Istorp
They marry 1856-12-30 and settle on Navrebo.  
Children:  
Børje, 1858-11-28  
Johan August, 1861-11-09  
Johanna (Anna) Olivia, 1865-04-02

Question:
Which year did they emigrate?
Did Børje go to Denmark?
According to census 1880 in Denmark, Anders S. gift with Christine Olesen also from the Gothenburg region.
According to church records, there is no Brita Stina death in their parish. Maybe she traveled to Sweden?There is no marriage registered between Anders and Christine.
Anders in 1890, he married Bertha Kristensdotter, 63 år also from the Gothenburg area.
For information, Johanne Olivia my great-grandmother, she gives birth to a daughter in 1889 that come into foster care.

Jane C

No yet answer from the owner of that website....

Niels Anker Nielsen

Hej Jane!
Johanne Olivia Andersen er min oldemor, jeg har sendt en mail til dig for kontakt, jeg er ikke helt bekendt med hvordan der det foregår her i DIS-forum.
MVH Anker

Lissa Pedersen

Translation:

"Hi Jane,

Johanne Olivia Andersen is my great grandmother, I have sent you an email for contact. I'm not aware how it works here on the Dis-forum".

Lissa

Jane C

How exciting! ! !

So glad to hear from you Neils and I will check my mail.

Lissa, so very kind of you to translate. Many many thanks!

Niels Anker Nielsen

Hej Jane
Jeg har sendt dig 5 email,nogle med filer, jeg håber alle er kommet frem til dig og at du kan åbne filerne.
Jeg har mere omkring Johanne Olivia`s forfædre i Sverige,hvis du ønsker at få det tilsendt.
Med venlig hilsen
Niels Anker

Lissa Pedersen

Translation:

"I have sent you 5 emails, some of the with attached files. I hope you have received them and that you can open the files.

I have more about Johanne Olivia's ancestors in Sweden, if you want that too".

Lissa