can someone translate this text in english?

Startet af Ulco Schwartz, 06 Dec 2011 - 17:47

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Ulco Schwartz

Could someone translate this text in english? I can read the names but I have no clue what the whole text says.

greatings,

Ulco Schwartz

Jens Larsen Jakobsen

Johann Gottfried Schwartz Grenadier Carpenter of Major Bülow's Zealand Company of married Wife Anna Maria MeÿersThe Child was called Johann Gottfried carried of Maria Married Hammers and Cathrine Stüpel. Sponsors Henrick Meÿer, Mathiis Meÿer, Johan Andres Meittingen.

Ulco Schwartz

Thank you for the translation!

It's hard for me to read the characters since I don't know the words.
Could you give me the original text also, so I can learn the words? It would help me for the coming research.

Ulco

Ralph Rasmussen

Even with the interpretation in front of me I have a couple rough spots in the transcription:

Joh: Gottfried Schwartz Grenad: Tømmer-Mand af Major
Bülows Siæll: Corp:  af egte Kone Anna
Maria Meyers. barnet blev kaldt Johann-
Gottfried.  *befadret af Maria Sr: Hammers
og Anna Cathrine Stupel.  Testes Henrich
Meyer, Matthiis Meuer og Joh: Andres Meittingen.

Johann Gottfried Schwartz grenadier, carpenter of major
Bülows Zealand Company of [read: and] his proper wife Anna
Maria Meyer.  The child was called [named] Johann
Gottfried.  Presented at the font by Maria, 'Seigneur' Hammer's [wife] (the godmother)
and Anna Cathrine Stupel [who 'carried the baptismal cap']  witnesses Henrich
Meyer, Matthiis Meyer and Johann Andres Meittingen

*An unusual expression roughly meaning sponsored, usually 'bar Barnet' or 'Susceptrice', i.e. carried the child.

Names, place names and oviously Latin words are often in an italic hand, while the rest of the entry is in a hand derived from the black letter forms common in northern European manuscripts.

med venlig hilsen
-Ralph

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Ulco Schwartz

Thank you both for the quick response.
I can now see the similarity "tømmer-mand" and the dutch word "timmerman".  :)

I've been stuck on this part of my line for years and picking it up again now. I have some technical problems (to view the books online) that I have to solve first but this great help from this forum gives me a new incentive to continue.

med venlig hilden,

Ulco

Jens Thomassen

Hi

Clip:
I have some technical problems (to view the books online) that I have to solve first but this great help from this forum gives me a new incentive to continue.

Do you mean the "books" on www.arkivalieronline.dk ??
Med venlig hilsen
Jens Thomassen
Medlem af DIS-Danmark

Ulco Schwartz

Citat fra: Jens Thomassen Dato 08 Dec 2011 - 17:06

Do you mean the "books" on www.arkivalieronline.dk ??

Yes. When I click on a book, I download a ViewImage.aspx-file but I don't have the right program to open it with. I am currently working on a Mac but in case it's impossible to use that, I could give it a try on a windows machine.

Jens Thomassen

Hi

Please check this:

1) You will need to download and install JAVA in order to see the images. If you have not downloaded
JAVA go to www.java.com and download it for free. Follow the instruction given there.

2) Once JAVA is downloaded and installed, go to www.arkivalieronline.dk.
Med venlig hilsen
Jens Thomassen
Medlem af DIS-Danmark

Ulco Schwartz

Thank you. I've got it working now on the Windows computer.
Mac uses it's own version of java, I have to find out why that isn't working but till then I can use windows.

Lynn Christiansen

There are English instruction available for both AO and AOV. Note the stickies at the top of the Forum.
Research Areas: Thisted, Aarhus, Viborg