Translation help please

Startet af Erik Schaefer, 14 Nov 2011 - 15:58

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Erik Schaefer

Churck book for Taps, Nørre Tyrstrup, Vejle  1714-1764 opslag 47

Looks to me like it could be a Gellert (Peder Gellert perhaps?)  I was looking for a Rasmus Petersen Gellert born 28 sep 1743 in Taps according to an ancestry user.  This is the closest I can find, but I cannot read it.  Is this Latin rather than Danish?

Also, in the same church book should be the birth of his wife Dorthe Ankersdatter on 20 Jul 1748 but I did not see her name in the book.
Research areas of interest:
Hjarup / Vamdrup / Sonder Broby / Taps/ Vantinge

Gammel Rye / Them/ Vrads

Gitte Hovedskov

Hi Erik

First of all, no the texts in this church record are in Danish, except for the indication of the dates, which are in Latin.

Second, presuming that you mean the entry under Dominic. 23 post Trinitate  (17 November 1743), as far as I can make out, this is the confirmation of the christening of Peder Gellertsen's (or Peder Gellertse's (which is poor grammar)) child, Rasmus, who was born 26 or 28 Sept. and christened 17 November.

His name would be Rasmus Pedersen Gellertsen, or Rasmus Pedersen Gellert, depending on the actual surname of the father.

Although I am not 100 % certain in my interpretation of this text, I am answering your question now so that it willl be moved to the top of the list and maybe someone else will be able to confirm/correct my interpretation.

Gitte  :)

Erik Schaefer

Thank you Gitte.

Can you tell me how you calculated "17 nov 1743" from "Dominic. 23 post Trinitate"?

I tried searching google for the meaning of "Trinitate" and to find a church calendar with that term, but I was unsuccesful.

I assume it means 23 days after "Trinitate", but what is "Trinitate", and is there a website that tells me other important calendar events similar to Trinitate?

Gammel Rye / Them/ Vrads

Ralph Rasmussen

I concur on the understanding of the text, but am at loss on some of the place names.

As so many other texts, the longhand shifts back and forth between italic and 'black letter' scripts.  Latin and some critical words or names tend to be in italic, and thus more familiar to us.

The entry concludes 'dette [barn] heder Rasmus fød d 28 Septb'.  The 8 is not a perfect match for the page number in opslag 49, nor is there any other obvious reason for the top loop.

mvh
-Ralph
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Erik Schaefer

Thank you Ralph, I can only pick out the words in italics myself. Who is Augustus Asmussen?  That name appears in the middle of the record.

If this helps at all, this is the place of Rasmus' birth according to the ancestry user:

Høkkelbjerg Kro,Taps Sogn,Vejle Amt,Schleswig

I cannot read the entry to validate this, but I thought maybe this might help.

Gammel Rye / Them/ Vrads

John Wrenholt

To my eyes, there appears to be a Dorthe born 20th of July on ops 56 (top entry of 2nd column).

Ralph Rasmussen

Gellert's home does seem to be Høkelbjerg, which may or may not have been an inn at that time. 

The witnesses/sponsors  are named, and the first is Augustus Asmussen from Tyrstrupgaard.

mvh
-Ralph
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen

Gitte Hovedskov

Hi Erik

Here's a link to an excellent tool for finding church dates hundreds of years back:

http://geltzer.dk/kirkeaaret.php

It contains a mixture of Danish and Latin names for the most common church days.

Trinitatis = Trinity Sunday, i.e. the first Sunday after Pentecost. The church calendar then has 20-odd Sundays 'post Trinitatis', after Trinitatis, i.e. until the first Sunday of the Advent (4th Sunday before Christmas).

Hence, Dominic. 23 post Trinitate = 23rd Sunday after Trinity Sunday = 17 Nov 1743, according to the calendar mentioned above.

(I would never attempt to calculate that myself, my brain would hurt too much.  :P)

Gitte

Erik Schaefer

Hello I am bumping this very old topic in order to ask this question:

I wanted to ask if I am using the church calendar link above correctly.

The records I am viewing says:

"Dom: II p:Trin" for the year 1794.  I take this to mean the 2nd Sunday after Trinitatis which would be 29 Jun 1794. 

Did I calculate that correctly?

Gammel Rye / Them/ Vrads

Ralph Rasmussen

Yes, Dominica secunda post (Dominicam) Trinitatis, The second Sunday after Trinity Sunday.  In English it's also known as Trinity II.
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen