Looking for information on Martin & Robert Peterson family

Startet af R N, 19 Okt 2011 - 03:18

Forrige emne - Næste emne

R N

My great great grandfather (Martin Peterson) was born in Denmark 26 January 1857, and his brother Robert was born in Denmark in 1861 (I think).  Their father was Hans Joergen Peterson, and their mother was Christine Hanson.  They came to the US in 1881.  From a family record that we have, it says they were born in Fallstrom/Fallstron, Denmark, but I haven't been able to find anything that sounds even remotely close to that. 

I am also researching Martin's wife, Anna Marie Larson, born 13 March 1859 in Slagelse.  Her parents were Peter Larsen and Sophie/Sophia Sorenson.  She came to the US (Wisconsin) in either 1883, 1884, or 1885.  They didn't marry until they came to the US.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!  Thank you!

Ralph Rasmussen

It looks like Family Search has made short work of the first step.  The birth date and parents match for Morten Pedersen, born 26 January 1857 in Idestrup in Maribo Amt ('County'), Arkivalier Online parish register 1852-1878, opslag (fiche) 18, #2 for 1857.  His baptism is noted as March 8.

His parents were Hans .... Pedersen and Kirsten, nee Hansen, age 32.  Note that until the 1880's, women appear on the records by their baptismal name, even after marriage.  And that until the middle of the nineteenth century last names were usually formed from the father's first name with a  'sen' ending.

Idestrup is in southern Falster.

'med venlig hilsen'
-Ralph

PS In looking at the transcribed census records, it seems that the parents were married after 1850, the latest census of this era transcribed for Idestrup.
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Ralph Rasmussen

Re the marriage:

More precisely, October 23?, 1856, opslag 289, #13.  Hans Jørgen appears to be born in 1823, Kirsten a year later.

This is almost certainly Kirsten's family, before she went out as a servant:

Maribo, Falsters Sønder, Idestrup, Idestrup Bye, Et Hus, 73 F1, FT-1840, C7669
Navn: Alder: Civilstand: Stilling i husstanden: Erhverv: Fødested: (birthplace first noted in 1845)
Hans Pedersen Alling 44  Gift  Husmand og Skomager  (homeowner, shoemaker)
Margrethe Jørgensdatter 26  Gift  Hans Kone (his wife)
Jørgen Hansen 2  Ugift  Deres børn  (children)
Kirsten Hansdatter 15  Ugift  Deres børn

mvh
-Ralph
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen

R N

Wow!  Thanks!  Unfortunately, right now I cannot view the records you are referencing - the arkivalier website is down.  How can I be certain that what you found is for them?

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Robin Nasman Dato 19 Okt 2011 - 05:01
Wow!  Thanks!  Unfortunately, right now I cannot view the records you are referencing - the arkivalier website is down.  

I'm relieved to hear that; I thought maybe my Java was corrupted!

This must be his registration for emigration;Væggerløse parish adjoins Idestrup parish:

Name:  Petersen, Morten Occupation:  Skomagersvend
Contract no.:  47400 Registration date:  3/24/1881
Last res. parish:  Væggerløse (Falster) Last res. county:  Maribo
Last residence:  Veggeløse, Maribo Destination country:  USA
Destination city:  Racine Destination state:  Wisconsin
Name of ship:  Indirekte
IDcode:  I8081P1002

(Added)  This must be "Robert":

Name:  Petersen, Rasmus Occupation:  Tyende (m/k land)
Contract no.:  47800 Registration date:  3/24/1881
Last res. parish:  Væggerløse (Falster) Last res. county:  Maribo
Last residence:  Veggeløse, Maribo Destination country:  USA
Destination city:  Racine Destination state:  Wisconsin
Name of ship:  Indirekte
IDcode:  I8081P1003
Areas of interest:  Tønder county,  Brede, Daler, and Visby parishes
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=-skow-

R N

Oh my gosh - they settled in Racine before they moved to Baileys Harbor, Wisconsin.  It must be him!  This is so awesome.

R N

Did you happen to find anything on Anna Marie Larson?

Ralph Rasmussen

AO leaves us locked out of Slagelse, Sorø amt.

Rasmus's birth is recorded on opslag 33, #16, more identifiable than legible, June 25, 1860.

mvh
-Ralph
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen

R N

Where are you getting all this info from if you cannot get on arkivalier?

Ralph Rasmussen

The search for the parish records is a different program than the display of scans within a given record book.  Ergo, only part of their site is acting up. When they are off line, the message should be that the site is not found. 

The transcribed records are different sites/servers.

mvh
-Ralph
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen

Homer Ficken

Here is the family in  1880:

Maribo, Falsters Sønder, Væggerløse, Væggerløse By, , et Huus, 7, FT-1880
Name: Age: Marital status: Occupation in household: Occupation: Birth place:
Lars Rasmussen 55  Ugift Huusfader Sadelmager  Væggerløse Sogn, Maribo Amt
Hans Jørgen Pedersen 36  Gift Husfader Jordbruger  Væggerløse Sogn, Maribo Amt
Kirsten Hansen 54  Gift Huusmoder  Torkildstrup Sogn Maribo Amt
Morten Pedersen 23  Ugift Søn Skomagersvend  Idestrup Sogn Maribo Amt

[Hans Jørgen Pedersen's age should be 56!]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rasmus in another household:

Maribo, Falsters Sønder, Væggerløse, Radbjerg By Væggerløse sogn, , en Gaard, 6, FT-1880
Rasmus Larsen 37  Gift Husfader og Gaardejer  Nørre Ørslev Sogn Maribo Amt
Ane Sophie Simonsen 22  Gift Hans Hustru  Nykjøbing F.
Kirsten Larsen 2  Ugift Deres Søn  Her i Sognet
Rasmus Pedersen 19  Ugift Tjenestekarl  Idestrup Sogn Maribo Amt
Engel Rasmussen 17  Ugift tjenestepige  Her i Sognet

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hans Jørgen Pedersen born 15 January 1823, parents Peder Hansen Mortensen and Johane Jensdatter
(Væggerløse 1813-1838, opslag 17 first entry)

Peder Hansen Mortensen died 10 Dec 1831, age 50
(Væggerløse 1813-1838, opslag 216)

Hans Jørgen and his mother in 1834:

Maribo, Falsters Sønder, Væggerløse, Væggerløse Bye, , Fittingehuuset, 29, FT-1834
Anne Nielsdatter 70  Enke  Fattiglem  
Johanne Jensdatter 46  Enke  Fattiglem  
Morten Pedersen 14  Ugift  hendes søn  
Hans Jørgen Pedersen 12  Ugift  hendes søn  
Jens Pedersen 5  Ugift  hendes søn  
Christiane Pedersdatter 8  Ugift  hendes datter  
Kirsten Hansdatter 49  Enke  Boende til Leie,ernærede sig ved Haandarbejde

Homer Ficken

Hans Jørgen Pedersen's siblings:

Morten Pedersen born 13 Dec 1820 (Væggerløse 1813-1838 opslag 15, first)

Christiane Pedersdatter born 5 Dec? 1826 (Væggerløse 1813-1838 opslag 69, last)

Jens Peder Pedersen born 19 May 1829 (Væggerløse 1813-1838 opslag 36, third)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I can't find an Anna Marie Larsen born 1859 in Slagelse.

By chance were she and Robert Peterson's wife Christine sisters?
Door County marriages list:

Martin Peterson and Annie Marie Larson, 22 Dec 1888

Robert Peterson and Carrie Christine Larson, 20 Apr 1890

R N

Homer, I'm not sure I understand what it says in the post between "Here is the family in 1880" and "
Hans Jørgen Pedersen's age should be 56!".  In regards to Anna Marie Larson and Carrie Christine Larson, I was wondering that myself.  My aunt is at the State Historical Society today and is going to look up Robert's marriage to see if Anna Marie's and Carrie Christine's parents are the same.

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Robin Nasman Dato 19 Okt 2011 - 16:13
Homer, I'm not sure I understand what it says in the post between "Here is the family in 1880" and "
Hans Jørgen Pedersen's age should be 56!".

That is the transcribed 1880 census from http://ddd.dda.dk/ddd_en.htm and the transcriber has misread HJP's age.

My online translator says Morten was a shoemaker.

Jane C

On Family Search Annie Maria Larson is said to be born in "Syeland, Denmark."

Link to Norman Madsen's Danish-English dictionary; also see GramTrans site to supplement Google Translate
http://www3.sympatico.ca/colin.swift/danish.htm

Did you want help with the rest? I don't read Danish but have picked up this from the forum and from translation software:

Danish folktælling (census) 1880

In the village of  Væggerløse,  
Væggerløse parish,
Falsters Sønder herred (on the island of Falster),
Maribo amount (southwest of Copenhagen, covering more than one island)
Living with a man named Lars Rasmussen age 55:

Hans Jørgen Pedersen, 36 Gift (married) Husfader (homowner) Jordbruger (farmer) born in Væggerløse Sogn (parish), Maribo Amt

Kirsten Hansen 54 Gift (married) Huusmoder born in Torkildstrup Sogn (parish), Maribo Amt

Morten Pedersen 23 Ugift (unmarried) Søn (son) Skomagersvend (shoemaker apprentice) born in Idestrup Sogn(parish), Maribo Amt

R N

Also, and this is probably a dumb question, but how are you able to read the downloaded files?  So far, I have only found the handwritten ones, which aren't always that clear.  Where are you getting the transcribed stuff?  Am I looking in the right place?  I just started using the arkivalier site yesterday, so I don't know much about it yet.

I do have a translate site - google translate.  Works really good.  I guess I just didn't understand what you meant when you said he was supposed to be 56.  I get it now.

Jane, thank you!

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Robin Nasman Dato 19 Okt 2011 - 17:00
Also, and this is probably a dumb question, but how are you able to read the downloaded files?  So far, I have only found the handwritten ones, which aren't always that clear.  Where are you getting the transcribed stuff?  Am I looking in the right place?  I just started using the arkivalier site yesterday, so I don't know much about it yet.

The link I posted  http://ddd.dda.dk/ddd_en.htm takes you to the searchable site with transcribed censuses and also the emigration registrations that I posted.  However many censuses have not yet been transcribed.

This is a separate free site, not connected to the online archives images.

Jane C

Surprising find:

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wipgs/PGS/PGSDCPre1907MarrSeq1890cert01374to1895cert01880Vol4a.htm

Door County Pre-1907 Marriages
In Sequence -PGS Vol. 4a 1890-(01374) to 1892-(01599)

PETERSON, ROBERT. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .20 APR 1890. . . .BAILEYS HARBOR. . . . . . . . . . . . .HUSBAND. . . . . . . . . .01394. . . . . . . . . DENMARK, SONDOR ORTEV
PETERSON, HANS JUERGEN. . . . . . . . . .20 APR 1890. . . .BAILEYS HARBOR. . . . . . . . . . . . .FATHER/H. . . . . . . . . .01394. . . . . . . . .
HANSDOTTER, KARSTEN. . . . . . . . . . . .20 APR 1890. . . .BAILEYS HARBOR. . . . . . . . . . . . .MOTHER/H. . . . . . . . . 01394. . . . . . . . .
LARSON, CARRIE CHRISTNE. . . . . . . . . 20 APR 1890. . . .BAILEYS HARBOR. . . . . . . . . . . . .WIFE. . . . . . . . . . . . . 01394. . . . . . . . . DENMARK, SLAGETSE
LARSON, PETER. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20 APR 1890. . . .BAILEYS HARBOR. . . . . . . . . . . . .FATHER/W. . . . . . . . . 01394. . . . . . . . .
SORENSON, SOPHIE. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .20 APR 1890. . . .BAILEYS HARBOR. . . . . . . . . . . . .MOTHER/W. . . . . . . . .01394. . . . . . . . .
PETERSON, MARTIN. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .20 APR 1890. . . .BAILEYS HARBOR. . . . . . . . . . . . .WITNESS. . . . . . . . . . 01394. . . . . . . . .

There is a Sønder Ørslev in Idestrup sogn.

R N

They are sisters.  Parents Peter Larsen/Larsen and Sophie/Sophia Sorenson.  Carrie Christine was born in Slagelse also.  Jane, you just found what I was just looking at.  Not sure what Sondor Ortev would be.  Sønder Ørslev?  Does that fit with Rasmus/Robert?

Jane C

http://www.greenwoodsupperclub.net/ramus_and_carrie.html

Ramus Peterson and Carrie Larsen

(Carrie) Christine Marie Larsen Peterson
Christine Marie Larsen was born January 2. 1866 in Sjaelland, Denmark to Peter Larsen and Sophia (Sorensen) Larsen and immigrated to the United States in 1899. For several years Christine worked in Denmark in a clothing factory as a seamstress and it was considered a well paying job. Still her sister convinced her to come to America. Upon arrival, she was surprised to find how uncivilized Door County was. Her sister didn't tell her about the Native Americans who lived there. It was then when she questioned why she left Denmark.
    Before boarding the ship "Danmark" to the new world Christine was given an unusual prediction. A fortuneteller said an eventful journey was in her near future that she must not take. Christine was unshaken by this warning. She packed all her possessions and started out to make a new life with her sister and brother-in-law, Mr. & Mrs. Martin Petersen, who were living on a farm in Baileys Harbor, WI. But, before the "Danmark" reached its destination, disaster struck. The ship sank, along with all of Christine's possessions. Fortunately an English steamer named the "Missouri" was passing nearby and rescued the ships passengers. This occurrence remains one of the least-known great sea rescues of all time.
    A year later in 1890 in Baileys Harbor, WI, Christine married (Ramus) Robert Peterson, brother of Martin, her brother-in-law. She became the mother of five children; Harry, William, Louis, Robert, and Eva. Christine passed away August 3, 1933.

(Ramus) Robert Peterson (Pedersen) - Great Grandfather on Maternal side
Robert Peterson was born in Sondor Ortev, Denmark, July 26, 1860, the son of Hans Juergen Petersen (Padersen) and Kirsten (Hansen) Petersen. Robert was reared and educated in Denmark where his parents were well known farming people. It is uncertain when they changed the family name from Pedersen to Petersen.
    Robert worked in a sawmill until he reached the age of twenty, when he left his native land and sailed for America. He made his way to Racine, WI, where he worked as a farm hand for one year. He left Racine and went to Dakota, where he was employed in the harvest fields through the summer months and in the winter worked in the woods lumbering.
    In 1887 he became a resident of Baileys Harbor, WI, and purchased a farm of one hundred and twenty acres, which he cleared and developed into a very productive dairy and crop farm.
    In 1890 he married his sister-in-laws sister, Christine Larsen. He and Christine raised five children on the farm and remained on the farm until his death, October 12, 1934. The barn and homestead is still standing just south of Peninsula Center and owned by a relative.

R N

Wow, how'd you find that?  Except how did she marry Robert (who was in Bailey's Harbor) in 1890, when she was supposedly still in Denmark until 1899?  Must be a typo.  Unless Robert, Martin, and Anna Marie went back to Denmark to get her?

Jane C

Yes, a typo - the ship sank in 1889 (per the same source) and in the census (I looked at census data at Ancestry.com) she says she immigrated 1889 - another census said 1888, but that's normal.

The Greenwood Supper Club is owned by descendants. See the posted family tree"
Carrie
Immigrated to America in 1889. The ship Danmark, which she was on, sank 04/05/1889

About Sonder Ortev - possibly being Sønder Ørslev - We don't have a birth place for Martin and Robert (Morten and Rasmus); the Door County marriage record for Robert says he's born in "Sonder Ortev," but where is that? I was guessing maybe Sønder Ørslev in Idestrup sogn in Maribo amount (as above family in census).

R N

Can someone explain to me where all this info is coming from - exactly?  Because when I go to these sites and try to search, I come up with 0 results.  I must be an idiot.  :)

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Jane Christiansen Dato 19 Okt 2011 - 21:21

About Sonder Ortev - possibly being Sønder Ørslev - We don't have a birth place for Martin and Robert (Morten and Rasmus); the Door County marriage record for Robert says he's born in "Sonder Ortev," but where is that? I was guessing maybe Sønder Ørslev in Idestrup sogn in Maribo amount (as above family in census).

Births of Morten and Rasmus are both recorded at Idestrup, listed by Ralph early in this thread.  Go to http://mapper.acme.com/  and search for Idestrup, Denmark, then click in a couple notches and you will see Sønder Ørslev less than a mile east of Idestrup.

Jane C

Hi Homer,

The births as Ralph WONDERFULLY found are recorded at Idestrup church, but the family might not have been living in Idestrup by, right?. Where Kirsten Hansdatter age 15 was found in 1840 census (Maribo, Falsters Sønder, Idestrup, Idestrup Bye). So I was trying to clarify for Robin that the family might not be in the town of Idestrup at the time of the births.

Sounds as if you agree the likely place within Idestrup sogn is Sønder Ørslev. Have I got that right?

Alternately, sometimes immigrants gave the name of a "birth place" as a town near their actual birth place - like a resident of a Chicago suburb might say she's born in Chicago.

This is a small point - basically they are born in Idestrup, Falsters Sønder, Maribo.

Ah -- I see - I wrote the words "We don't have a birth place...." Yes, that was not well written.

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Jane Christiansen Dato 19 Okt 2011 - 22:09
Sounds as if you agree the likely place within Idestrup sogn is Sønder Ørslev. Have I got that right?

Both birth records are faint, but I believe it lists Sdr. Ørslev after the mother's name on both.

Jane C

family to Kirsten Hansdatter

Maribo, Falsters Sønder, Idestrup, Idestrup bye, Et Huus, 3, FT-1850, C9622
Hans Pedersen 53 Gift Huusmand, dagleier, huusfader  born Her i Sognet (= Idestrup sogn)
Margrethe Jørgensen 37 Gift hans Kone born Her i Sognet
Jørgen Hansen 12 Ugift Deres søn born Her i Sognet

Maribo, Falsters Sønder, Idestrup, Idestrup Bye, et Huus, 6, FT-1845, C2323
Hans Pedersen 48 Gift  huusmand og Dagleier Her i Sognet [Idestrup]
Margrethe Jørgensdatter 32 hans Kone Do [Idestrup]
Jørgen Hansen 7 deres Søn

Above
A comment on that entry at ddd.dda.dk:
Kommentarer: Noget som daglejer

Maribo, Falsters Sønder, Idestrup, Idestrup Bye, et huus, 18, FT-1834, C7382
Hans Pedersen 38 Gift  huusmand dagleier
Karen Rasmusdatter 34 Gift hans kone
Kirsten Hansdatter  9 Ugift deres datter

Karen Rasmusdatter must have died and Hans remarried.

Jane C

"Both birth records are faint, but I believe it lists Sdr. Ørslev after the mother's name on both"

Yeah!! Thanks Homer!!

Now Robin can say the brothers are born most likely in Sønder Ørslev, Idestrup sogn, Falsters Sønder, Maribo, but absolutely certainly in Idestrup sogn.

Jane C

Looking for Peder Hansen Mortensen, father to Hans Jørgen Pedersen  - Homer, can this be him?

Maribo, Falsters Sønder, Væggerløse, Væggerløse, , 37, FT-1801, B8365  
Morten Pedersen 65 Gift Mand Jordløs (landless) Huusmand og Tømmermand (carpenter)
Ane Hansdatter 66 Gift hans kone
Peder Mortensen  22 Ugift Deres børn - Hans Søn af 2det ægteskab (his son from second marriage)

Maribo, Falsters Sønder, Væggerløse, Weggerløse Bye, Huusmænd, 11, FT-1787, C1997
Same family...Peder Mortensen age 8 Søn af 2det ægteskab. Here father Morten is a Dagleyer.

As for Hans Jørgen Pedersen's occupation of dagleier - I think that means day labourer.

Robin - about searching - sometimes the search engines are picky (some more than others) so try wild cards and different ways of spelling names. You'll get the hang of it on Family Search, Ancestry.com, www.ddd.dda.dk.

The churchbooks are much harder - this forum helps with that.