1739 Odense Birth

Startet af Bill Petersen, 13 Sep 2011 - 19:53

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Bill Petersen

Greetings All...
Would someone please attempt to translate the follwing record.
Odense Sct. Hans, Odense, Odense...opslag 47 #30...1722 - 1774...Frederik Christian.
I know it may be a hard one to read, but any translating would be greatly appreciated.
Mvh,
Bill

Ralph Rasmussen

I've seen much worse.

No. 30 Natten mellem d. 3. og 4de Ooctobr. er Regiments ..... Smallzes ve Gen: Lieut:  Brockenhuusers Regiment og Kone
Cathrine Magdelene Schmidt deres Søn fød.  d. 10. ejusd: døbt Friderich Christian. faddere Jfr. Rose bb, Frue Bergers [gik hos]
Rittmester Lützow, Lieutenant Hollendahl, og Junker Brockenhuus.

Nr. 30 On the night between October 3rd and 4th the son of .... Smallzer and his wife C.M.S. was born, and baptized F.C. on the 10th.  Sponsors were jomfru Rose, who presented the child, accompanied by Berger's wife.  Rittmeister Lützow, Lt. H. and junker B.

mvh
-Ralph
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Bill Petersen

Thanks Ralph...
I really appreciate your time and effort.
It never ceases to amaze me how some of you people can read these old records.
Thanks again.
Mvh,
Bill

Lissa Pedersen

Hi Bill,

Another birth in the family (http://ddd.dda.dk/kiip/asp/alle_opl.asp?kipnr=B0212&lbnr=171&begivenhed=Dåb):

Alle oplysninger vedr. den valgte person
Odense, Odense, Garnison, 1741 - 1791, Dåb

Kilde KB-1741-1791-DÅB Kildeside  
År  Begivenhed Dåb
Fødselsdato  Kalenderdato  
Hjemmedato  Kalenderdato  
Baptism 25-6-1745 Kalenderdato  
Navn Engel Cathrine Status  
Flerfødsel    
Father's name Schmaltzer Faders erhverv regimentsfeldskiær
Faders stednavn    
Mother's name Cathrine Magdalene Schmidt Moders erhverv  
Moders stednavn  Moders alder  
Kildekommentar  Indtasters kommentar  

Another Engel Cathrine in 1746: http://ddd.dda.dk/kiip/asp/alle_opl.asp?kipnr=B0212&lbnr=211&begivenhed=Dåb
(Problems in opening the file - try this link http://ddd.dda.dk/kiplink1.htm and click "kirkebøger" and look for baptism by writing the mother's name).

Lissa

Lissa Pedersen

Bill Petersen

Thank you Lissa...
I have all of the other children's births ( I think there were 15 in all, born from 1733 thru 1757)
I would love to know anything about the ancestry of either of his parents.
Thanks for your effort Lissa, If I had checked back sooner I could have saved you a lot of work, sorry!
Mvh,
Bill

Jane C

Hi Bill - 15 children! A suggestion - if you'd like forum help with the ancestry of either parent, listing the children's names could be a help, given Danish naming practices at the time.

Frederik Christian Smallzer
Cathrine Margrethe Schmaltz
Johanne Conradine Schmaltz
Magdalene Hedevig Schmaltz
Sophie Dorthea Schmaltz
Engel Cathrine Schmaltzer
etc

Ralph Rasmussen

One step further with Family Search.

Maribo, Nykøbing Falster marriages etc 1705-1750 (the first in AO), opslag 432 at the bottom:

Tiirsdagen d: 15de Julii blev copuleret i Henric Smits huus
effter Kongl: tilladelse Frantz Herman Schmaltz, Re-
giments ..... ved General Major Brochenhusers Regimenta
og jomfrue Catharine Magdalena Smidt.

Married in Henrik Smi[d?]ts house with royal permission/exemption from church wedding F.H.S., a
.... with Major General B.'s Regiment and jomfru C.M.Smidt.

Schmaltz seems to be a name from Baden or Wurtemburg, Schmidt from almost anywhere German was spoken.  But Jfr. Smidt may yet prove to be from Nykøbing.

mvh
-Ralph
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen

Jane C

Hi again - here is a link to a 2008 discussion with a descendant of Frederick Christian Schmaltz:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:3mFT-u0s1VkJ:www.dis-danmark.dk/forum/read.php%3F11,431358+Frantz+Herman+Schmaltz+on+IGI&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Apparently Frederick Christian went to the Danish West Indies?

Hendrik Smidt is a name that is found in Nykobing Falster in the 1600s and onward....a Henrik Hansen Smidt b. 1699 died 21 Mar 1746 has a daughter Engel Catherine etc. and one guesses it could be the same family but I haven't yet found the links...

Bill Petersen

Hi Jane and Ralph...
Thank both of you for your help...
I would like very much to see the 2008 discussion...how do I find it?...I'm sure this is the same family. Frederik and Caterine had a child named Engel Cathrine...probably named after her Aunt that you found.
Ralph, thanks for the marriage record...whatever lead you to look in Maribo?
Thanks again to both of you, your time and effort are very much appeciated.
Mvh,
Bill

Jane C

Here's the link and the 2008 discussion

About the family in Nykobing, Maribo - I agree it seems it could be people on the same family tree. ; D

Click this link: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:3mFT-u0s1VkJ:www.dis-danmark.dk/forum/read.php%3F11,431358+Frantz+Herman+Schmaltz+on+IGI&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Schmaltz of Odense
Posted by: Charles Hollander
Date: May 16, 2008

I found a posting on Rootsweb's WorldConnect of Magdalene Hedvig SCHMALTZ, born 2 Feb 1750, christened in Skt. Hans Garnison, Odense, died 1812, married (1773) Hans Jorgen TROJEL. Her parents are listed, there and also on the IGI, as Frantz Herman SCHMALTZ and Cathrina Magdalena SMIDT. These parents are listed as having eight children in FamilySearch.org's Vital Records Index for Denmark, all christened also in Skt. Hans Garnison, Odense, as follows:
Jacob Henrich SCHMALTZ, b. 7 Aug 1733
Hans Adolph SCHMALTZ, b. 15 Dec 1743
Engel Cathrine SCHMALTZ, b. 20 Jan 1745
Engel Cathrine SCHMALTZ, b. 21 Sep 1746
Johanna Conradina SCHMALTZ, b. 24 Dec 1747
Sophia Dorthea SCHMALTZ, b. 17 July 1750
Wilhelmina Henriette SCHMALTZ, b. 1 Dec 1753
Hendrich Christian SCHMALTZ, b. 25 Mar 1757 (died same day)

In addition, I have a family record transcribed from an original written by Frederick Christian Schmaltz. Here are the details:

4 Oct 1739—born at Odense.
5 July 1781—married on St. Thomas, DWI, to Catherine DeWint.
1 June 1782—daughter Anna born.
26 Nov 1783—daughter Catherine Magdalene born.
16 Jan 1785—son John born, named for wife's father Johannes.
13 Jan 1787—daughter Elisabeth Henrietta born, named for his brother and his wife, brother being named Henry.
25 July 1788—daughter Anna Maria, named for wife's sister.
10 Jan 1790—daughter Francina Frederika born.
The above is all written in the first person. What follows, in the same handwriting, is in the third person: "Frederick Christian Schmaltz was an office in the Danish army. He died a year after the birth of this daughter, and his wife followed him six months after, giving birth to twins who died with her." (All the above births, and the deaths, happened on St. Thomas.) I believe the handwriting is by Anna Maria Hook Van Wagenen, daughter of Elisabeth Henrietta Schmaltz Hook, and granddaughter of Frederick Christian. I am also descended from Elisabeth Henrietta. I am trying to establish the Schmaltz ancestry, and it seems all but certain to me that Frederick Christian Schmaltz is also the son of Frantz Herman Schmaltz.

I wonder if anyone has any other information about this family. I am particularly interested in learning about the record for Magdalene Hedvig Schmaltz, since there seems to be a contradiction between her birth on 2 Feb and the birth of Sophia Dorthea on 17 July in the same year of the same parents. Does anyone have any explanation for the two entries? I would very much appreciate any help. I would be glad to share any information.

REPLY #1
Good evening Charles!

There is an data bank covering families living in the city of Odense from 1740 to 1790, and you just follow this link concerning the family Schmaltz: [www.odensedatabasen.dk]

From this data bank I copied the following regarding your Magdalene Hedvig Schmaltz:

Personnummer: 483014
Fornavn: Magdalene Hedevig (given name)
Efternavn: Schmaltz (family name)
Fødselsår: 1749 (year of birth)
Dødsår:
Fader: 475013 (father ID-#)
Moder: 475012 (mother ID-#)

År Måned Dag Begivenhed Erhverv/stilling Adresse Vedr. Personnummer Vedr. Navn
Year, month, date, event, profession/position, address, ID-# conc. name

1749 2 7 Døbt (baptism) Nørregade 63 og 67 (address)
1773 11 6 Vielse (marriage) Overgade 39 583002 Hans Jørgen Trøyel (bridegroom)
1787 7 1 Folketælling (census) Overgade 16 og 20

REPLY #2
Have you seen this: [www.odensedatabasen.dk] ?

MAGDALENE HEDEVIG (ID 483014) was baptised in 1749. She had a twin brother NIELS (ID 483012).
SOPHIA DORTHEA (ID 130015) was baptized in 1750.

[www.odensedatabasen.dk]

CHARLES HOLLANDER again:

Thanks so much for giving me the link to this database. It clears up the difficulty I had found between the too-close births of Magdalena Hedvig and Sophia Dorthea. The former's IGI entry of 1750 was incorrect; it should have been 1749.

Is there any online database for the preceding decade, 1730-39? My ancestor wrote that he was born on 4 Oct 1739 in Odense, and his parents are listed on WorldTree as having married on 15 July 1732 at Nykøbing Falster, Maribo. Also, is there another database for Nykøbing Falster?

The Schmaltz parents who were listed as having married on 15 July 1732 at Nykøbing Falster, Maribo, were named Frantz Herman Schmaltz and Cathrine Magdalena SCHMITT.

Ralph Rasmussen

My pointer was the web site Familysearch.org in one of its search versions.  It is really helpful when the information can be confirmed.

I see that you are well beyond what the parish records can tell of Frantz Herman's or his bride's origins.

mvh
-Ralph
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen

Bill Petersen

Jane and Ralph...
Thank you once again for your help. Much appreciated.
This should keep me pretty busy for a while.
Mvh,
Bill

Jane C

Hi again Bill -

I had found this and I can't resist sending to you.  As Ralph says and we all realize, an online tree is only a clue and I know you are checking records for yourself. Still, it's fun to have as a starting point...in case you do not already have it.

A fascinating family!

Click here to see the online post: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rclarke/page1/dewin_p3.htm

Parents and Siblings of  Catherine DeWindt who married Frederick Christian Schmaltz in 1781 on St. Thomas, Danish West Indies (DWI)

Johannes Gerrit De Windt, who was born 12 April 1716 at Saint Thomas, West Indies and was baptized at Reformed Dutch Church, Saint Eustatius, West Indies and died 07 November 1795 at Tappan, Rockland County, New York at  79 years of age. He married 29 July 1736 at New York City Antje Henricus Kermer De Windt, who was born March 1717 at New York City and was baptized at Reformed Dutch Church, New York City and died after 1770 at 53 years of age, a daughter of Henricus Hendrick Kermer and Jacquemyntje Nichola Van Ravenstyn Kermer. [Johannes Gerrit De Windt was] Baptized on 20 June 1716. Religion - Reformed Dutch Church, Saint Eustatius, West Indies.  Military - New York City Militia in 1738. First  Residence - Saint Thomas, West Indies. Second  Residence - Saint Eustatius, West Indies. Third  Residence - New York City before June 1736. Fourth  Residence - Tappan, Rockland County, New York in 1746. Will - His will was dated 20 January 1772 and proved 29 June 1796.  Sources: The Genealogist: Spring 1983 Volume 4 Number 1, page 5, 9; and The Blauvelt Family by Dorothy A Moos 1987 page 32.

Children of Johannes Gerrit De Windt and Antje Henricus Kermer were as follows:

i. Anna Maria Johannes De Windt Blauvelt, who was born 16 April 1737 and married Fredericus Joseph Blauvelt.

ii. Jemima Johannes De Windt Smith, who was born August 1740 and married Jan Abraham Smith Major.

iii. John Johannes De Windt, who was born 1742 and married Elizabeth Pieter Groebe De Windt.

iv. Anna Johannes De Windt Kip, who was born 17 February 1747 and married Isaac Roelof Kip.

v. Gerrit Sprewert Johannes De Windt Colonel, who was born 03 September 1748 at Tappan, Rockland County, New York and was baptized at Reformed Dutch Church, Tappan, Rockland County, New York and died 01 May 1800 at 51 years of age. He married before January 1785 Aletta Pieter Groebe De Windt/De Windt, who was born 13 October 1761 at Saint Eustatius, West Indies and died 15 October 1828 at 67 years of age, a daughter of Pieter Cornelis Groebe and Maria Heyliger Groebe. Baptized on 11 September 1748. Buried at De Wintberg estate Cemetery, Saint Thomas, West Indies. Religion 1 - Reformed Dutch Church, Tappan, Rockland County, New York. First  Residence - Rockland County, New York. Second  Residence - Saint Thomas, West Indies. Will - His will was dated 17 May 1799.  Source [The Genealogist: Spring 1983 Volume 4 Number 1 page 10]

vi. Henry Johannes De Windt Doctor, who was born 06 January 1750 and married Elizabeth <?> Watson De Windt.

vii. Christina Johannes De Windt was born 26 November 1752 and died after January 1772.

viii. Catherine Johannes De Windt Schmaltz, who was born 16 December 1754 and married Frederick Christian Hendrick Schmaltz.

Jane C

I forgot to add this, found on IGI - again, needs checking - a record that may applly to Frederick Schmaltz brother Jacob Henrich SCHMALTZ (both sons of Frantz Herman SCHMALTZ and Cathrina Magdalena SMIDT). Jacob Henrich was born 07 AUG 1733.

IGI Record #1
A Jacob Hendrik Schmaltz died 23 OCT 1791 at St. Thomas, Virgin Islands, Caribbean and

was married on 06 JUN 1765 on St. Thomas to

Anna de Windt born about 1736 on St. Thomas, Virgin Islands she died sometime before 05 May 1783

Anna's parents were Johannes de Windt and Maria Batrie.

IGI Record #2

A Jacob Hendrik Schmaltz who died 23 OCT 1791 at St. Thomas, Virgin Islands, Caribbean

was also married on 06 AUG 1783 to Elizabeth Robinson.

Bill Petersen

Wow...Thanks Jane.
I did have some of this...but not as detailed as that.
Thank you for you extra effort.
Mvh,
Bill