1801 census Købmager Kvarter II 11 afdeling opslag 25 THRANE

Startet af Sallie Hobbs, 06 Sep 2011 - 16:58

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Sallie Hobbs

Hi,

Could someone please translate the 1801 census entry for Johanne Kirstine THRANE. It's at
http://www.sa.dk/ao/SoegeSider/Folketaelling.aspx
Købmager Kvarter II,  11. afdeling, opslag 25

I'm especially interested in the last two columns.

The DDD transcription gives Johanne's occupation as "sew and wash" (Sy & Vask). There seems to be a lot more written on this record than just "sew and wash."

Johanne Kirstine SACHMANN was married to Jonas Johannes CHRANE (not THRANE) in 1788. The two children listed on this census record match the baptismal records for the children of Johanne Kirstine SACHMANN and Jonas CHRANE / KRANE, so I'm pretty sure I've got the right family.

I think this census record says something about a porcelain factory. Johanne's husband, Jonas, worked at a porcelain factory.

In 1802 Jonas remarried. His marriage record says he was separated from his former wife.

I can't find Jonas on the 1801 census.

Many thanks in advance!

Sallie Hobbs

Jane C

Shall we add the 1801 census here:

København, København (Staden), Købmager Kvarter, Købmager Kvarter, Matr. 290, 1423, FT-1801, A5032
Johanne Kirstine Thrane 36 Enke (widow) Huusmoder Sy & Vask
Johan Friderich Thrane 8 ugift hendes Søn
Anne Christine Thrane 12 ugift hendes Datter

So is she NOT a widow according to your information?

Son Johan Friderich Johansen baptised 21 Aug 1793 at Trinitatis, Kobenhavn, father Jonas Johannes Chrane mother Kirstine Johanne

A Jonas Krane marries Anna Ericsdr 09 FEB 1787 in Copenhagen - a different Jonas Krane?

Sallie Hobbs

Hi Jane,

Thank you for the reply. Jonas died in 1835. So she is not really a widow, unless that is a term that a separated or divorced person might have used on the census. I have seen that happen on the census in the U.S.

I do not know about the marriage to Anna Ericsdr in 1787. It may be the same Jonas Krane/Crane/Chrane, or not. I do have records of two other marriages for this Jonas. His probate file is excerpted online.
http://aurelia-clemons.dk/holbk-bx.htm
At the time of his death he had 3 living children by three wives. Anna Ericsdr. was not one of them, as far as I can tell. I have ordered the film of the probate file.

Jonas was single on the 1787 census, working at the porcelain factory, age 19. He could have been the one to marry Anna Ericsdr in 1787, and still be the one who married Johanne Kirstine Sachman.

His 1802 marriage is recorded at Frederiksberg Sogn, Sokkelund,  København, 1797-1813, opslag 89
Translation of that:
November 14
Married November 30
Reported to publication of the banns: Jonas Crane and the maid Mariane
Olsen staying with butcher Christian Buch in Vesterbro. Chancellery
permission shown, that Jonas Crane, who has been separated from his
former wife, may remarry. Evidence of the guarantors: "That nothing in
particular way is illegal and prevent, that worker at the porcelain
factory Jonas Crane and the maid Mariane Olsen Liunge(?) join in
marriage with each other, therefore we vouch, the signing guarantors.
Fredrichsberg, 14 November 1802
for the groom:
Friis [?], locksmith master living in Bredgade 155
for the bride:
P. Milling, royal counsellor at the navy

Do you have any idea what the 1801 census record for Johanne Kirstine Thrane says about her marital status and about her occupation?

Thank you so much.

Kind regards,
Sallie Hobbs

Anne Mortensen

I read:

AO FT 1801 opslag 25

Enke efter
1st. Ægteskab

Bærer af
3 l(?) Ugentlige
som hun
oppebærer
af Porce-
laines Fa-
briguen og
Syr og
vasker for
Folk.
Venlig hilsen
Anne Mortensen - 2770

Jane C

Thank you Anne. Can you (or some kind soul) translate?

Sally, I haven't found Jonas in 1801 either. This could be him - son Frederich is the right age and so is this Jonas.

Jonas Chrane/Krane pensionst 67        13 Sep 1835          pg 228 230 232 235 248
3WIFE:   Hanne Dorthe Lund sal. Chrane
CH:      Johanne Jensine Chrane  17
2WIFE:  
CH:      Herman Chrane  33 soemand i Helsingoer
1WIFE:
CH:      Frederich Chrane   40 i Philadelphia  (surnames assumed)
gd: W. Halgreen smed
wgd: Funck kjobmand / Nyegaard fuldmaegtig
[Holbaek Byfoged; Bk 11 1829-1840; film 49318]

Holbæk, Merløse, Holbæk Købstad, Holbek Kiøbstad, Kirkestræde 125 Forhuset, 226, FT-1840, C3099
Hanne Dorthea Chrane 62 Lærerinde ved Haandgjærningsskolen
Johanne Jensine Chrane 21 Hendes Datter

Holbæk, Merløse, Holbæk Købstad, Holbeks Kiøbstad, Smedlundsgade No. 107, 3die Familie, FT-1834, C1848
J. Krane 66 Gift Pensionist
H. Krane 55 Gift Kone
J. J. Krane 15 Datter

Sallie Hobbs

Hi Anne and Jane,

Thank you for you help in putting the puzzle pieces together!

Can you tell what it says in the occupation column under the "sew and wash" information?

Many thanks for time and your hard work.

Kind regards,

Sallie Hobbs

Anne Mortensen

Translate via Google

widow
1st. marriage

bearer of
3 l (?) Weekly
as she
receive
of porcelain
laine Fa-
Brigues and
syr and
washes for
People.
-------------------

it's OK ?
Venlig hilsen
Anne Mortensen - 2770

Sallie Hobbs

Hi Anne,

Thank you very much! I wonder if the letter after the 3 is a symbol for money? I found a couple of similar symbols on this site:
http://www.hist.uib.no/gotisk/

It also looks similar to one of the letters representing a lower case letter k. Would that be for Krone?

It seems like answers always lead to more questions... :)

Thank you again for all your help. I never in the world thought I would ever actually be researching my Danish ancestors.

Best regards,

Sallie Hobbs

Helmer Christiansen

The sign could be the abbreviation for Mark.

Untill 1873 the Danish unit of account was the Rigsdaler (Rixdollar) which was divided into 6 Marks and 1 Mark divided into 16 ß (Skilling).

In 1873 when we changed from Rigsdaler to the present unit of account (the Danish Krone, DKK) 1 Rigsdaler was set equal to 2 Kroner. Thus 1 Krone was 3 Marks or 48 ß (Skilling).

As an example of the purchasing power of Danish money around 1801: Average day wage for workmen in Copenhagen in 1800 was 28 ß.

With 3 Marks in 1800 you could days of work that would cost 3,923 DKK in 2011

With 3 Marks in 1801 you could buy goods that would cost 56 DKK in 2011.

In 1801 1 US Dollar was worth about 8½ Danish Marks.

Helmer Christiansen
2000 F

Sallie Hobbs

Hi Helmar,

Thank you for the help with the money, and especially with converting it to today's money amounts.

It does look like she did not receive very much money from the porcelain factory. No wonder she did sewing and washing.

Thank you for giving me a piece of Danish history.

Kind regards,
Sallie Hobbs