interpreting a baptism record, 1769, Gamtofte, Odense amt

Startet af Lisa Petersen, 17 Mar 2024 - 15:21

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Lisa Petersen

I have some questions about the baptism of Hans Jørgensen, at the top of the right page

https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/da/billedviser?epid=22716405#474734,84784499

Anno 1769, d: 9de Julÿ blev min Sön Jörgen Nielsen, hvis Hustrue da var i Aborre, hans liden Sön Döbt og kaldet Hans.  Karen Jörgensdatter af Gommerup bar ham til Daaben.  Tes. Rasmus Nielsen, Anders Nielsen, Anders Eriksen, Lars Jensens Enke og Ul: Peder Jacobsens Hustru alle i Aborre.

1. normally "min Søn" would mean the pastor's son, but according to Wibergs præstehistorie, the pastor in Gamtofte was David Frederiksen Seidelin, from 1738 to 1791.  Was it the clerk who wrote this?  How do I find his name?

2. does the cross next to the entry mean the child died soon after birth?  I could not find a burial record for him.

3. what is meant by "hvis Hustrue da var i Aborre"?  That the couple lived somewhere else and the wife came to Aborg for the birth?  I think the parents married in Gamtofte the month before the baptism, unge Karl Jörgen Nielsen Væver Svend, og Pigen Margrethe Jörgensdatter, begge i Aborre, https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/da/billedviser?epid=22716405#474734,84784608.

På forhånd tak.

Lisa Petersen
near Washington, D.C.

SonofaJocumsen

For #2, the cross:
I have seen in kirkebogs where the birth/baptism is labeled with a cross, and then the cross is circled. I believe the cross on your baptism record may have something to do with this:

"Births are normally registered chronologically, but often you will find that children born for instance at a
hospital in one of the larger cities is registered "out of order" in the parish where the parents live. These
children are registered in their home parish with a No. "0", because the child is only counted in the parish
where it is born, i.e. the hospital's parish.
(This was taken from the PDF on this site "Introduction to Genealogy in Denmark")

For #3, if my logic (lack of?) makes sense: if this is an "out of order" register, then perhaps #3 is just recording the original birth parish? 

I have 7 posts (very much a beginner), so please take suggestion this with a grain of salt! On top of that, I still have yet to finish my first cup of coffee this morning 🥱

Britta Hansen

Niels Jørgensen was 'sognedegn'

Historiske Oplysninger om Gamtofte Sogn - ved folketingsmand Carlsen-Skiødt - page 162

3. N i e l s J ø r g e n s en kaldes 27. Maj 1751 til Sognedegn
ved Gamtofte Skole. Han har forud fra 1743 været Skoleholder
i Aborre. Han er født 1718 og dør 1776. Hans Hustru Kirsten
Lavritsdatter dør 1760. Ved Skiftesamlingen efter hendes Død
bestemtes, at N. Jørgensen skulde beholde Boets Effekter imod
at tilskrive sin Søn, Jørgen Nielsen (17 Aar gl.), 100 Rdl. i Arv

Aborre is = Aborg - a small village in the parish.

Gamtofte Sogn
'J.P. Trap Kongeriget Danmark' Gamtofte sogn

Map
Venlig hilsen
Britta Hansen

britta.hansen12@gmail.com

Inger Toudal

Clerical probate extracts, Odense county: https://www.brejl.dk/odensegejst.html

Båg herred, Gejstlig skifteprotokol 1743-1796

40 Kirsten Lauridsdatter i Gamtofte. 26.8.1760, side 150.
E: Niels Jørgensen, degn i Gamtofte. B:
1) Jørgen Nielsen 17.

78 Anne Marie Højrup i Køng, [begravet 17.4.1781], side 301.
Enke efter Niels Jørgensen, degn i Gamtofte, [begravet 9.2.1776].
Hans første ægteskab med [Kirsten Lauridsdatter, skifte 26.8.1760 lbnr.40]. B:
1) Jørgen Nielsen, væver i Køng.
Testamente af 10.11.1778.
Arv til A:
1) søster Karen Højrup g.m. Poul Vedding i København.

Odense, Baag, Køng, Køng by, , 49, FT-1787, A3361
Navn:      Alder:      Status:      Stilling i familien:      Erhverv:     
Jørgen Nielsen      45      gift              husmand og Bødker??       
Margrethe Jørgensdatter      39      gift

Lars Jørgensen      15      ugift      barn               
Niels Jørgensen      10      ugift      barn               
Peder Jørgensen      7      ugift      barn               
Sidsel Jørgensdatter      3      ugift      barn               
Anna Kirstine Jørgensdatter      1      ugift      barn 

1787 Census: https://www.danishfamilysearch.com/cid89831 - see Original Source, Family No 49

- my reading: Huusmand og Væver.

Odense, Baag, Køng, Køng by, , 68, FT-1801, A3362
Navn:     Alder:     Status:     Stilling i familien:     Erhverv:     
Jørgen Nielsen     58     gift      mand      jordløs husmand og væver       
Margrethe Jørgensdatter     52     gift      kone            

Hans Jørgensen     11     ugift      barn             
Zidsel Jørgensdatter     15     ugift      barn 

Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal

Lisa Petersen

Hej Britte,
Thank you for the information about Niels Jørgensen and the link to Gamtofte history.  I was able to find the wife Kirsten Larsdatter's skifte in 1760, and it does mention one son Jørgen Nielsen, age 17 years.  This means that this son can not be my ancestor Jørgen Nielsen who was born about 1729, and it is likely that the Jørgen Nielsen who married Margrethe Jørgensdatter in 1769 in Gamtofte is the son of Niels Jørgensen, degn of Gamtofte, not my ancestor who was born about 1729.

SonofaJochumsen,
I looked at other baptisms with the + and it seems that most are for people from Brahesborg Gods, which was in Gamtofte sogn, not that these baptisms were out of order.  I did not look to see if there were baptisms of people from Brahesborg Gods that did not have the +, so I'm still unsure what the + means.  Is it possible that the + indicates a special baptism ceremony that only certain babies got? 

Inger,
thanks for the additional information, which gives more evidence that the Jørgen Nielsen who married Margrethe Jørgensdatter is the 17 year old son of Niels Jørgensen & Kirsten Larsdatter.

My ancestor is Jørgen Nielsen who is on the 1787 Census in Kærum sogn, and it was his first marriage before 1777 that I was looking for (and hoping the one in 1769 in Gamtofte was it).

https://www.danishfamilysearch.com/cid375311
Jørgen Nielsen   Male   58   1729   Married   Mand Daglejer
Ane Jørgensdatter   Female   51   1736   Married   Hans kone
Kirsten Jørgensdatter   Female   11   1776   Single   Datter af begges sidste ægteskab

Thanks for the help!

Lisa P.