1st Generation

Startet af Jack Frost, 09 Mar 2024 - 13:50

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Jack Frost

In the U.S., a permanent immigrant is termed a 1st generation American, their children are 2nd generation Americans, etc. 

If a person born in Germany moved to Denmark permanently (marrying, having children, and dying) in Denmark, would he be called a 1st generation Dane?  Does it depend upon his citizenship status?

If a person born in Denmark moved to Norway permanently (marrying, having children, and dying) in Norway, would he be called a 1st generation Norwegian?  Does it depend upon his citizenship status?

Ole Westermann

1. Yes, but it depends on, who you ask.
2. A citizenship reveals a desire of being a Dane/Norwegian.

Jack Frost

DanaM

Hi from Texas, USA. I have long wondered if I have relatives in Denmark. I actually married a man from ASA Sweden and have been to Copenhagen a couple of times. I am the grand-daughter of Jorgensen A Pedersen. He died when I was 11, but what a great man he was!!! We called him Gramps. If I remember correctly he was on the ISS Seneca when a torpedo hit the USS Wellington and volunteered to jump into the icy water to try and save men from the destroyed ship for which he received the Medal of Valor. He had three sons which have all passed away. My dad was the last. Dad was on the US Centaurus and by chance they both met up in England. He married Lilian Gertrude Schuster(from Sweden)there are 2 of us children still alive. I am the oldest at 67. Will be happy to answer any questions and if we ever get to Denmark would love to meet some of my relatives, in fact my brother in law is coming here next month. Look forward to hearing from you. If you want I can send some photos of Gramps and Dad

J. K. Olsen

Hi Dana,

Gramps aka Jørgen August Pedersen was born on Nov 29th 1891 in Hillerød, the town where you find the tourist attraction named Frederiksborg castle, see no. 62 here:
https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/da/billedviser?epid=21618449#420634,77164970

His parents were Jørgen Pedersen and Augusta Nilsson. She was born in Sweden . They married in Hillerød on March 31st 1891, see couple no. 9 at bottom here:
https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/da/billedviser?epid=21618449#420648,77165677

Cheers
J. K. Olsen

J. K. Olsen

Hi Dana,

It would appear that Gramps had at least one sibling Jul Peder Pedersen, who was born to the same parents on Christmas Day 1909, when their mother Augusta was 39 years old. She was 21 when Gramps was born.

The little I know about Jul is that his confirmation ceremony took place on April 13th 1924 in Tømmerup parish, Holbæk county in Denmark, cf. attachment. And that he died 53 years old in Copenhagen on April 6th 1963.

Sincerely
J. K. Olsen

J. K. Olsen

Actually, there are five more siblings to Gramps showing up in the 1906 census attached. The family name here has been corrupted to Petersen making them a bit harder to find.

Sincerely
J. K. Olsen

J. K. Olsen

Hey, you can read about your family - including Gramps's sister Johanne Nathalie - here:

https://www.geni.com/people/J%C3%B8rgen-August-Pedersen/6000000201682078836

Sincerely
J. K. Olsen