Help with Identifying Father of Uægte / Illegitimate Child from Sørbymagle sogn

Startet af Max Rasmussen, 27 Feb 2024 - 18:11

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Max Rasmussen

In researching my Great-grandmother's female line in Sorø, I have discovered an entry in the Kirke boger, for her 3x Great-grandmother Sidse Andersdatter (b. 1726 in Bøstrup, Sørbymagle sogn, Sorø), who before her marriage (and the birth of her daughter Sidse Madsdatter; b. 1760 - my ancestor) seems to have had an illegitimate child in 1741 when she was only 14 years old. 

The church book entry can be found at Sørbymagle Sogn, Sorø 1717-1752 Opslag 47 (2nd entry on page - copy also attached).

I am looking for help with a possible name of the father, which might be "Magnes" but I am not sure and cannot interpret a second name if that is correct. There is reference to Sides Andersdatter's father Anders Pedersen, who had actually died the previous year (and her mother remarried). Anders Pedersen had been a Land Dragoon, hence the reference to "Major Kaafer Regiment" I assume, unless the "father" was also a Dragoon.

Any help to identify the illegitimate child's father and any of the other information in the entry - which seems to be considerably longer than other entries for illegitimate children, would be most appreciated.

Unhappliy the baby seems only to have lived for 12 days, as there is a further record at Sørbymagle Sogn, Sorø 1717-1752 Opslag 117 which records a death.
Med venlig hilsen

Max Rasmussen - Norfolk, England

Judith Olsen

Hej Max,

The alleged father of the child was Christen Pedersen in Slagelse. He was a cavalry soldier bye the "Livkompagniet" under the direction of major Kaas.

And it was the wife of Anders Pedersen who carried the child at the baptism.

Hope you understand  :)
Venlig hilsen
Judith Olsen
Terslev, 4690 Haslev
judith@olsen.mail.dk

J. K. Olsen

Just to clarify, Max.

When you read "Major Kaafer Regiment" you fail to properly distinguish between f and s. The f has a central curl, which is not present here. So the text goes "Major Kaases Regiment". The aa is nowadays written å. The ending -es is simply genitive.

Sincerely
J. K. Olsen

Max Rasmussen

Hej Judith,

Thank you for the advice - it clarifies the entry in the church book.

Yes the wife of Anders Pedersen (Karen Bentsdatter) makes much more sense in this entry. I can also understand  where the alleged fathers name, Christen Pedersen is now, and why Major Kaas is then mentioned.

The Livkompagniet I believe is a "Guards" Regiment and a regular/professional formation. Sidse's father Anders Pedersen had on her baptism record been described as a "Land Dragon" (as well as elsewhere a "gaardmand") and I believe that the 3rd Sjællandske Regiment (latter renumbered 2nd) had its head quarters at Slagelse. This was a "national" or conscript regiment and I assume what the term "Land Dragon" refers to this (rather than a professional Life Guard Regiment).

I have also noted through out the Sørbymagle Kirke boger that there are many entries for men with military ranks (Under-officers, Sergeants etc.). Was Sørbymagle therefore a base for the barracking of troops attached to one or either of the cavalry regiments noted above, it would be interesting to find out if anybody knows.

Mvh
Med venlig hilsen

Max Rasmussen

Citat fra: J. K. Olsen Dato 04 Mar 2024 - 01:03Just to clarify, Max.

When you read "Major Kaafer Regiment" you fail to properly distinguish between f and s. The f has a central curl, which is not present here. So the text goes "Major Kaases Regiment". The aa is nowadays written å. The ending -es is simply genitive.

Sincerely
J. K. Olsen

Yes thank you for the advice. As a non-Danish speaker I find the writing of this early period very difficult to interpret, so your assistance is much appreciated. I can generally work out that this is an 'S' when used in common words or names (like "Hansen" or Pedersen") but more novel words like "Kaas" are more of a problem.
So thank you for the advise as to what I need to look for.

Mvh
Med venlig hilsen