Tracing Carl Henningsen's Origins and Naval History During the Napoleonic Wars

Startet af Rune Karlsen, 18 Feb 2024 - 10:01

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Rune Karlsen

Dear Forum Members,

I am reaching out in hopes of uncovering more details about one of my ancestors, Carl Henningsen, who has roots in Jylland, Denmark. My research has led me to discover that he was a prisoner during the Napoleonic Wars, specifically captured while serving as Master on a ship named "Camelion". This intriguing piece of history is documented in the prison records at DIS Denmark's Name Registers, but unfortunately, the information about his exact birthplace within the vast area of Jylland remains elusive.

Carl Henningsen later made his way to Norway, settling in Flekkefjord, where I managed to gather a significant amount of information about his life. However, his early life in Denmark, including his birthplace, family background, and potential naval career, remains a mystery. Given the historical context, it's plausible that he might have been involved in transporting goods, possibly corn, between Denmark and Norway, and could have been captured during one of these voyages. There's also a possibility that he was an officer in the Danish Navy.

What I'm seeking assistance with:

Birthplace and Date: Any information on Carl Henningsen's exact place of birth in Jylland and his birth date.
Family Background: Details about his parents or any immediate family members.
Naval Records: Insights into Carl Henningsen's potential involvement with the Danish Navy or any maritime activities, especially related to the ship "Camelion"

Any guidance, suggestions for research avenues, or insights into Danish naval history and genealogical records would be deeply appreciated. If anyone has access to relevant archives, databases, or literature, or can offer advice on how to proceed with this investigation, I would be incredibly grateful.

Thank you for taking the time to read my request. I am looking forward to any assistance or pointers you might be able to provide.

Warm regards,

Rune Karlsen