Help to find: Giuseppe Ciccolini of XVIII century - Captain of Danish navy

Startet af Natalia Chikolini, 20 Jan 2024 - 11:42

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Natalia Chikolini

Hello,
I'm a Russian from Moscow.
Our family line has started with Giuseppe Ciccolini in XVIII century in Saint-Petersburg. We always thought he was an Italian, but discovered he was a captain of Danish navy who came to Russia in about 1740-1780 and served here (no details wether served for Russia and Danish embassy, probably). He died by 1817 still being a a patrial of Denmark. His son Alexander was born in 1801 and became a Russian partial in 1817 when applied to work for Ministry of Foreign Affairs. We know this from Ministry papers, but we can't find anything about his father Giuseppe.

I kindly ask you for help - is there a way to track Giuseppe Ciccolini in Danish sources? I know he was a Roman Catholic (as his son). His descendants formed a noble family in Russia presented with professors, pilots, artists, servicemen. Would be such honour to track all the roots. Please, advise. Thank you so much in advance!

Grethe Leerbech

Hi Natalie

We have rolls from the danish navy-but from 1700 they are few. If you don't know the name of the ship it's nearly impossible. Your only chance is if he has been married in  Denmark, has had a child or something concerning the church. I presume he was a catolic.  where is Alexander born?
I have only met the name Ciccoline once in Denmark, and it's hundred years later, where an astronome called Ciccolini asked our artist Thorvaldsen about some figures he had made. That's the onliest note about that name.
but as said only few ships have left enrolled lists.

God hunt

Grethe Leerbech 

Thyholm,Vang, Gislum,Hornum,Hindsted, Slet, Års i Aalborg a. Ginding,Ringkøbing a.Rinds, Fjends,Hindborg,Viborg a. Nybøl, Sottrup,Sønderbog a.sogne i Tyskland, Sunds,Svendborg a.Tuse,Års,Løve i Holbæ

Natalia Chikolini

Thank you so much Grethe!
I don't know the name of the ship.. I guess this is my next step in the research, will dig in our local navy archives but 1700s are not well documented too. Alexander was born in Russia in 1797 (or so). The family was Catholic. I managed to get a lot of information about Alexander, including his first marriage was with Anna Wilster - daughter of Franz Conrad Wilster who was also Danish and an architect in Saint Petersburg's Art Academy. But Giuseppe Ciccolini is still a mystery. If I find anything, I will follow up this post.

Grethe Leerbech

What about Alexanders mother, is she a dane?

mvh
Grethe

Thyholm,Vang, Gislum,Hornum,Hindsted, Slet, Års i Aalborg a. Ginding,Ringkøbing a.Rinds, Fjends,Hindborg,Viborg a. Nybøl, Sottrup,Sønderbog a.sogne i Tyskland, Sunds,Svendborg a.Tuse,Års,Løve i Holbæ

Natalia Chikolini

It's not clear - she is called Ekaterina in some papers in Russian manner, but Giuseppe is called Iosif in Russian manner too. I didn't find her maiden name yet.

Bendt Spendrup Mathiasen

Hi Natalie

DE DANISCHEN OFFIZIERE IN RUSSLANDS HEER UND FLOTTE UNTER KATHARINA II
(In German Language)

https://tidsskrift.dk/personalhistorisk_tidsskrift/article/view/78988

Your Giuseppe Ciccolini is not to find in the register over Danes in Russian Navy or army.

Bendt Spendrup Mathiasen

Natalia Chikolini

Thank you so much Bendt!
I'll research our Ministries archives further. May be he never served in Russian navy. Or it is kind of a mystification. I'll post if I get news.