Christian August Lindeborg - Hoptrup and Schleswig Holstein

Startet af Kandace Lindeberg, 29 Aug 2011 - 05:00

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Jane C

haven't had time to look more but here is this from Family Search -
Niels Peter Jorgensen age 23 b abt 1829 marries Anna Maria Pedersdr age 29 b abt 1823
23 Jan 1852
Vor Frue, Aarhus, Aarhus, Denmark
indexing project number M22010-4

Ralph Rasmussen

I am unable to read a critical bit in the marriage, Aarhus Vor Frue 1845-1852, opslag 262 #3.  What is F..... sogn (parish)?  And what is hr. Nissen's occupation?

In the index, 'jævnførelse', opslag 460 the couple is simply listed with a notation of the page where their marriage is recorded.

mvh
-Ralph
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Eva Morfiadakis

As to obituaries in Australia they often don't contain as much information as in America. If the person is married they only mention his closest family, i.e. wife/husband and children not always by name.

As to the parish it is a short name: Femø? As to the profession, could it be Jernstøber something, iron caster...

Eva M
Eva M

Eva Morfiadakis

The parish must be Frue sogn, so he lives in Vor Frue sogn. She is employed by Jernstøber Nissen in Garvergyden.

Eva M
Eva M

Inger Buchard

Back to Christian August Lindeborg: at http://www.slaegtogdata.dk/forum/index.php/topic,19696.0.html
you can see that Vagn Altmann spent rather much time looking through the confirmations lists of Hoptrup around 1864. He neither found Christian August Lindeborg nor any siblings. The family wasn't mentioned in the lists of those who attended communion, so I would say: they didn't live in Hoptrup, at least not aroung 1864.

What next?
You mentioned in your privat letter that in the emigration list the birth place was called 'Vegaard' (at least that is how I read it) and the country being 'Danemark'

Who knows a town/village called Vegaard by a German clerk. Maybe the V- is correct, maby he heard the German V- sounding like an F- - then we would have to consider Fegaard/Fægaard. But I simply can't imagine any location in Denmark.

Inger
Redaktør på DIS-Wiki

Lars Erik Bryld

I have no immediate pointers to offer, but I believe, that Lindberg is the most common variant of that name, and there were numerous families of that name around your stated location.

I would look around in the parishes in Haderslev county, southern parts of Vejle county and maybe even nothern parts of Åbenrå and Tønder counties.

Unfortunately, online censuses in these parts are few and far between in the interesting periods.

You may want to have a look at the alphabetical indices found at:

http://www.wadschier.dk/kilder/soeg.php

(Præstearkiv and Personregisterfører)

Eva Morfiadakis

I just now found the death of Hans Peter Jørgensen in Vor Frue, Aarhus,  image 316 (1858-1864). He died on 14/15 Feb. 1863 at the age of 6, the family living in Nygade.

Assuming that this is the family of Henriette K. Jørgensen she seems to have travelled alone to Australia in 1871, or in company with other relatives.

Eva M
Eva M

Hans Chr. Baagøe

Could the place be Humptrup close to Süder Lügum, about 10 km south of Tønder? The Lindberg/Lindeborg name in various spellings is also known in that area.

There name Lindberg was also known in the area around Vejen about 30 km west of Kolding, but I have not found any trace of Christian nor his parents.

Hans Chr. Baagøe

Kandace Lindeberg

It could be very likely that it is Humptrup or Humtrup as spelt in Danish.  I have just received the death certificates of Christian August and Henrietta Kerstine and on both certificates it notes place of birth to be Denmark (I know this is not very helpful).  However, I mentioned earlier that his son writes in a Statutory Declaration that his motivations for departing were when the Prussians annexed Schleswig Holstein.  Was Humptrup affected by this war?  Did Humptrup become then part of Germany?  My limited knowledge of this war makes me feel that C.A may have left to avoid being under Prussian rule. 

Also, given that the search in Hoptrup has not been able to locate Lindeborg's and on various correspondence and certificates it is noted that he was from Schleswig Holstein and a town was near Kolding, it seems very likely that Humptrup could be his town of origin.  I still dont know how this fits with the town of origin written on the Hamburg Shipping Lists though. 

On both of the death certificates the occupation of C.A and Henriette'a fathers are farmers. 

Kandace Lindeberg

Sorry...

Also another discrepancy from C.A's death certificate is the age at death.  On the certificate it is noted that he died on 9 December 1931 - 80 years & 11 months indicating that his birthday was in January or thereabouts and his year of birth to be 1851. 

This is different to the earlier information I gave which indicated birth around August 1850.

Hans Chr. Baagøe

Both Hoptrup and Humptrup came to Prussia. Today Humptrup is german, but Hoptrup is danish.

I guess that several people had tried to find your ancestors, and with no exact date of birth, many of us has looked from 1849 to 1852.

I have also tried to locate "Vegaard" in different spellings and with both german, english and danish pronouncment. This gives many locations across the country, but until now not your "Lindeborg" family.

Hans Chr. Baagøe

Kandace Lindeberg

I found a town near Humptrup called Waygaard.  Could that be it?  There is not much on the internet about this town other than a location on a map.  This also appears to be now in Germany.  Does anyone know where the records for this could be (the old Danish but now German towns)?

Kandace

Eva Morfiadakis

e-mail adress: rentamt.kksuedtondern@nordelbien.de

Rentamt des Kirchenkreises Südtondern
Osterstraße 17 A
D-25917 Leck
Telefon: 0049-4662/860
(Herr Boyens)

This is the place where the church records for Humptrup are kept. I don't think they are on mircrofiches in Denmark. A look-up in a German archive usually involves a charge.

Eva M
Eva M

Inger Buchard

I agree with Eva: write the Kirchenkreis Südtondern and tell them, what you know.
Waygaard may very well be 'your' Vegaard. Waygaard belongs to the parish Risum, according to Schlabers survey over place names in Schleswig.

Waygaard was a 'Warft' or 'Wurt' - an artificial island in the coastal marshland of Schleswig, surrounded, sometimes flooded by the tide when a heavy storm came in from the North Sea. People, cattle, harvest and belongings survived in the second/third floor. Waygaard is mentioned here:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warft
Most of this land is now protected by dikes, but some small islands 'Hallig' in the see west of Husum are even today only protected by a summer dike, meaning, that the water floods the land several times a year, see 'Hallig Hooge' http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooge - the people living there are used to the situation, and afterwards they enjoy the silt/mud because this is the best fertilizer you can get.

Good luck - the church Rentamt in Leck has a lot of work to do, so you may have to wait long for an answer. If you tell them that you know of the fees to be payd and if you set a reasonable limit (app. 100 Euro) they should be able to find the birth, names of the parents. If so, they'll probably send you a copy of the pages in the church book and a short text with a survey over the persons.

Inger
Redaktør på DIS-Wiki

matthias lassen

Hi !

Well, they changed the structure of administration:
The former "Kirchenkreis Südtondern" belongs now to "Kirchenkreis Nordfriesland":

Kirchenkreisarchiv Nordfriesland (für Husum-Bredstedt und Südtondern)
Osterstraße 17a
25917 Leck
Tel.: 04662 / 86 0
Fax: 04662 / 86 80
E-Mail: archiv@kirchenkreis-nordfriesland.de
Sachbearbeiter: Frau Jacobsen (Tel.: 04662 / 86 11)

Just in case, and just to avoid unnecessary trouble !

good luck
matthias lassen