Glastrader family Schuerer/Schierer in Sjaelland-Franz Josef Schierer 1728-1749

Startet af Christina Kaul, 19 Maj 2022 - 22:38

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Christina Kaul

I am doing research on Bohemian glassblower families and in this context need some help with Bohemian emigrants to Denmark.

Together with an expert on early Northern Bohemian glass huts and glass blower families, we are trying to establish the connection and missing links between the Northern-Bohemian branch of the Schierer of Waldheim family and the Danish / Swedish Schierer branch of glass traders.

Our point of departure is an old article about early glass production and trading in Denmark: C. Nyrop: Danmarks glasindustri indtil 1750.

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/http://img.kb.dk/tidsskriftdk/pdf/hto/hto_5rk_0001-PDF/hto_5rk_0001_78107.pdf

Starting on page 516 the article talks about three Bohemian glass traders that became Kobenhavn citiziens in 1727. The following year - so in 1728 - the glass traders Franz Wenzel Schierer and Joseph Schierer - became citizens of Copenhagen. In 1740 Franz Wenzel Schierer works for the glass trader Mathias Weidlich in Helsingor and in 1749 the company is called 'Glashandel Weidlich and Schierer'. 

I have been trying to find some evidence for Franz Wenzel Schierer and have failed so far. Obviously, the 1787 census is timewise a bit far off. I have looked into the church books in Helsingor and St. Petri in Kobenhavn and could not find any trace of him.
His first name suggests he came from Bohemia and he probably was Catholic - later Schierer in Kobenhavn are also Catholic - but I could find no trace of him in Sankt Ansgar either.

Any suggestion how I could proceed ?

Thanks in advance for your help, Christina

Lene Dræby Kottal

Hi Christina,

I know this is an old post, but I only just discovered it. My great-grandfather Maximilian Kottal was a glassworker from Stubenbach, Bohemia (now Prasily), so I have an interest in the subject.

Are you familiar with the sources cited in footnote one on page 517 of the PDF you provided? I would expect those sources to contain more information about the mentioned men.
Also, have you tried to find them in the citizenship records?

Best regards,
Lene D. Kottal
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog about Danish genealogy: www.GenealogistKottal.com/blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Med venlig hilsen
Lene Dræby Kottal
Slægtsforsker og blogger
https://www.slaegtshistoriker.dk/blog/

Christina Kaul

Hi Lene,

I have not been active in this forum for a long while but just posted a message about the Fritzsche glass traders in Copenhagen.

In the meantime we managed to solve the mistery of the Schuerer / Schierer family and the missing links between Northern Bohemia and Denmark and Sweden. Much material for another article to be published soon.... The only bit we are still missing is information on Mathias Weidlich who was a glass trader in 1740 in Helsingor. Any help to identify him, would be very much appreciated !

What a coincidence that you are interested in Stubenbach ! I am doing extensive research in the Gattermayer glassmaker family. Lorenz Gattermayer, a nephew of the famous Johannes Absolon Gattermayer, founded Stubenbach and after he went bankrupt the Kinsky family bought the estate. I am still researching the whereabouts of his children after the collapse. I am writing a very extensive article on the Gattermayer family, where the focus will not be Stubenbach but Absolon's glass empire and in particular the family's unertakings in the central part of Bohemia.

When did your great grandfather work in Stubenbach and how did the family make it up to Denmark ? Did you manage to trace him further back ?

Regards from Brussels, Christina