Andreas Kummerling abt.1790

Startet af Regina OBrien, 01 Jul 2011 - 14:00

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Regina OBrien

I found his marriage to Dorthea Bager on 19 Aug 1821 in Nykobing Falster, Maribo, Denmark and the 1834 census for the family with Andreas Kummerling as a shoe maker living with Dorthea Bager and 3 children. in Nykobing Falster.  I can't find anything more about Andreas or his wife.  Any assistance will be appreciated.

Ruth Steenberg Rasmussen

Hi Regina

You find them in the house for poor people in Nykøbing Falster FT 1840:

Maribo, Falsters Sønder, Nykøbing Falster Købstad, Torvet, No. 35, Byens Fattighuus, 27, FT-1840, C8924
Andreas Kømmerling 48  Gift  Lem i Byens Fattighuus 
Dorte Kømmerling 56  Gift  Lem i Byens Fattighuus, hans Kone

They live there with many other poor people.

Regards
Ruth

Regina OBrien

Wow!  Not a very good ending.  thanks Ruth

Ruth Steenberg Rasmussen

Hi - no, but here is Dortheas death:

Nykøbing Falster 1834-1846, opslag 186: Death 11. dec. 1840, buried 17. dec. 1840, Dorthea Bager, shoemaker Kümmerlins wife, 55 years, certificate from Byfogeden (probate court) and Købke (the doctor).

Regards
Ruth

Ralph Rasmussen

Dorthea is the mother of Christiane Petrine Jensen (sic) and maybe the widow of Christopher Jensen Bernoe.

Christiane's baptism is noted Nykøbing 1814-1839, opslag 82, May 2 1819.

Christopher's burial is noted on opslag 325, December 1819, but at the age of 82.

Even with Christiane's name from the 1834 census, finding Dorthe's marriage and Jensen's death about 1819 isn't much closer.  I haven't any hint from Family Search, either.

The other Kummerlings in the 1834 census must all be related to Johan Kaspar Kümmerling, the father in opslag 171 of Horbelev 1749-1843.

mvh
-Ralph
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Ralph Rasmussen

I see in your other thread that you find that Christen Jensen is Peter Christen Jensen. 

Did you have Dorthea and Peter Christen married in Nykøbing October 21, 1809?  It is recorded in Nykøbing 1771-1815, opslag 232.  The parentesis says 'i.e. Bager'. 

mvh
-Ralph
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Regina OBrien

Hi Ralph,

Yes, I did get that information from DANE (Danish Archive North East) on rootsweb yesterday.

I had contacted them because I information to share with them.  Do you remember this?

Frederik Fohlman born Denmark 1820 , Friend or relative of Anton Peter Carl Snydstrup?
Posted by: Regina O'Brien (IP Logged)
Date: July 23, 2008 07:57AM

#1 Frederik Fohlman (Fohlmann) was born in 1820 in Denmark. He was married to Christina b. 1818, who was also Danish. They were married prior to October 1850 when they both first appear in the US Census for New York. He was 30 and she was 32. He was listed as a ship's carpenter and she as housewife.

They appeared again in 1860 census, 1870 and 1880 censuses. They have no children. The 1890 US census was destroyed. Neither appeared in the 1900 census.

Frederik traveled to Copenhagen at age 63 and returned to NY on 10 Aug 1883 on "The Thingvalla". Christina's death was recorded on 28 Oct 1896 in a city wide list for the years 1892 to 1902. Have not found record of Frederik's death yet. I am looking between 1883 and 1892. NYC death certificates showed the name and relationship of the deceased to the person who provided the information. Area to investigate here.

#2 Anton Peter Carl Snydstrup (Anton#2) emigrates in 1869-70. I have not found a record of where he arrived. His marriage license with Harriet Baker of Apr 1875 gives a Connecticut address and occupation as farmer.

How did Frederick and Anton meet? Were they related?

#3 31 Dec 1874 Anton (#2) was in Brooklyn obtaining his naturalization and passport all in one day. That was very unusual. Most naturalizations before 1900 were in 2 stages and took 2 years to complete. Anton (#2) was naturalized and received a handwritten passport on New Year's Eve 1874. The witness for both legal transactions was Frederik Fohlman.

Anton's first American born son was Frederick, who according to most documents, was born in December 1874 prior to the formal marriage to Harriet.

Anton leaves infant and mother and travels to Copenhagen. His travel documents of 25 Fed 1875 in Denmark showed him traveling back to US with son, Anton (III). According to US law at that time, wives and minor children were automatically naturalized when the father/husband became a citizen. All of younger Anton's American paper showed a Danish birth.

Mar 1880 Harriet died. Jun 1880 Anton Peter Carl (#2) is shown as a boarder in the home of Frederik Fohlman and his wife. Anton's children are in an orphanage in Jun 1880 according to another part of the census.

1898 Anton #2 is appointed the administrator of the estate of Christina Fohlman. She had a will but the person named in the will did not accept or was dead. I think Fred died first and she did not name someone new. There was real estate that had to be sold. Anton had to have some kind of significant relationship with this woman for the court to appoint him. I also think that he inherited. I will have to dig deep in court records for this information.

I finally got the answer this week from Family search.  I found Christiane Fohlman's will.  She was the Aunt of Anton II.  Her half sister, Eleonora, was married to Anton I.  I shared all the information I had on the Fohlmans and Snydstrups and they added some things, including the first marriage.

Regina OBrien

Ralph,

I now have Dorthea's death. Now I am trying to find out when Andreas died.  I am slowly going through the church records.  There is nothing on family search.

I just learned about Jensine Christiane from DANE as Dorthea's oldest child!  She left Nykobing Falster before the 1834 census.  I have her married in 1845.  Her half sister Eleonora was living with her in 1845  while Anton I was at sea.

I have one more day with free time so maybe I can finished the Kummerlings.  I am also trying to find Eleanora's death.  My last record is 1860 census.