Deciphering a word in a marrige record

Startet af MartGarr, 12 Jul 2020 - 09:35

Forrige emne - Næste emne

MartGarr

I am doing research on a group of Swedish siblings who settled in Sweden in the 1880s. One sister, Ida Maria Nicolausson  (Nikolaidotter in Denmark) married a Dane, Peter Hansen. They married at Holmens Kirke in Copenhagen on 30 Oct 1887. The reference is Holmens Sogn, Kontraministerialbog, Viede 1879-1888, numbered page 280 (image number 283 in the new scanning at the Danish National Archives).

In the marriage record, a note was made in the comment column about an attest from Øster Ulslev, which was Peter's home parish. I cannot read the word before attest. It looks like falleg or fatteg, but neither makes sense. Many of the other marriage records for Holmens have the same entry about a falleg? attest.

In Sweden, a certificate called a hinderslöshetsbetyg was often required for marriage, certifying that the groom was eligible to marry, i.e., was not already married or formally engaged. Since marriages usually took place in the bride's home parish, such a certificate was usually not required for her, since her status was known to the local priest. Is this Danish attest the same kind of document, certifying the groom's single status?

Thanks for the help!
Martha Garrett
Uppsala, Sweden

Inger Buchard

Fattig-Attest: the proof that he owes nothing til the parish of origin, i. e. he has not received public assistance

Inger Buchard
Redaktør på DIS-Wiki

MartGarr

Hej, Inger, and many thanks for the quick answer. This is very interesting. Sweden also had fattig bevis, but it was proof that someone who had died was very poor, so that the family did not have to provide the court with a bouppteckning (evaluation of the deceased's estate).

I would like to educate myself further. Can you point me to a source (book, article, website, whatever) where I can read more about fattig attest in Denmark? In Danish is fine; I can read it.

Martha Garrett
Uppsala, Sweden   

Inger Buchard

make a search in DS Forum for the word fattighjælp an you'll find several examples and explanations

Mit engelsk er dårligt - kan vi ikke kommunikere på dansk/interskandinavisk??

Inger
Redaktør på DIS-Wiki

MartGarr

Inger, it is no problem for me to write in Swedish, and I would like very much to chat with you more. But I see that the guidelines say this part of the forum is supposed to be in English. Can we make direct email contact? I am completely new to the forum, but I think I checked a box indicating that people could write to me directly. Can you see my email address, which starts with SwedishHomecoming? Martha

Inger Toudal

For reference: https://h58.dk/Kirke-Religion/Pr_opg_v_Vielser.pdf - 3.)

"Præsten bør ei iværksætte Tillysningen, uden først at paasee, at der intet er til
Hinder for det Ægteskab. Personerne agte at indgaae; hvorved i Særdeleshed bliver
at iagttage:
- - - - - - - - - -
10mo) at ingen af dem, som agte at indgaae Ægteskab, nyder eller, fra den Tid
deres Forsørgelse som Børn ophørte, har nydt nogensomhelst urefunderet
Understøttelse af Fattigvæsenet; da, i modsat Fald, Ægteskabet ikke kan tilstædes,
med mindre den administrerende Direction for Fattigvæsenet, naar Mandspersonen
er forsørgelsesgelsesberettiget i Kiøbenhavn, og ellers Sogne-Commissionen for
det Fattigvæsen, hvori Manden er forsørgelsesberettiget, erklærer, at der, for
Fattigvæsenets Vedkommende, intet findes mod samme at erindre."

https://h58.dk/Fattigv/Fattiglov_1891.pdf - § 42.

"Naar en Mandsperson i Løbet af de sidste 5 Aar her i Landet har nydt
Fattigunderstøttelse, som ikke er tilbagebetalt, er han ikke berettiget til at indgaa
Ægteskab, medmindre Fattigbestyrelsen for hans Forsørgelseskommune dertil
meddeler Samtykke."

Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal
Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal

MartGarr

Oy, what a goldmine of reference materials. Thank you so much! I am very much at home with Swedish genealogy but am a newcomer to the Danish. I will use the resources at h58.dk to educate myself!