Another transcription and translation request

Startet af Art Berggreen, 09 Jun 2020 - 19:50

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Art Berggreen

Could somebody help me with the first part of the baptism record below?

I get:

2 p Easter 25 April Christened ?????? Ole Pedersen's son in Magleby ??????
Haagen of ????? Inger? Madsdatter, Witnesses ...

Thanks,
Art Berggreen

Ole Westermann

Certainly:

Dom. 2 p Pascat. den 25 April døbt Soldat Ole Pedersens Søn i Maglebye kaldet
HAAGEN baaren af Inger Madsdatter. Fadderne Christen Raabye, Hans
Pedersen, Lars Hemmingsen, Søren Nielsens Hans Skottes Hustruer, Kirsten Haagensdatter.
   ---------- translation:
2nd Sunday after Easter the 25th of April baptized soldier Ole Pedersen's son in Maglebye named
HAAGEN carried by Inger Madsdatter. The witnesses Christen Raabye, Hans
Pedersen, Lars Hemmingsen, Søren Nielsen's Hans Skotte's wives, Kirsten Haagensdatter.

mvh Ole

Art Berggreen

Thank you Ole!

Does "carried by Inger Madsdatter"  imply that she could be a friend or family and not necessarily the mother?

From another source I've got Anne Hansdatter as his mother.  I'm just trying to locate sources to prove that.

Thanks again,
Art Berggreen

Ole Westermann

In which Magleby are we?
There are 2 parishes with that name i Præstø amt.

At that time children should be baptized within 8 days, and the mother was not allowed to enter the church after her delivery for 4-5 weeks, so the carrier is another person, most often a woman and often chosen within the family, if possible.

Art Berggreen

OK thanks, that is good information to know.  This was in the Stevns Herred of the Praesto Amt.  Reading the parish books prior to about 1812 is often a real challenge for me due to organization, handwriting and scan quality.

Ole Westermann

Just now I am on my Ipad and cannot copy the links - but the quality is better on Family Search - find the same book and on image 59 and 69 are the betrothal/marriage between Ole/Oluf Pedersen and Bodil Pedersdatter of Magleby in Nov.1768/Febr.1769.
- and they are both alive at the census 1787 and 1801.

There is another person Ole Peitersen married to Anne Hansdatter in the same parish.

Ole

Ole Westermann

Back on the laptop - here image 59 on FS
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-994W-RWCH?i=58&wc=M5KZ-WQ9%3A357517501%2C360106701%2C360180101%2C360185201&cc=2078555 left
1768 - 27 Nov. Dom.1ma Adv. trolovede Ole Pedersen og Bodil Pedersd.  Magl.

mvh Ole

Art Berggreen

Any idea on how to decide between this marriage and the Ole Pedersen and Anne Hansdatter marriage (pg. 58)?

Ole Westermann

I have seen the probate after Anne Hansdatter in 1779, and she had no son named Haagen!

Art Berggreen

OK, that points to Bodil Pedersdr.  Too bad there is no census near 1780.  I think in 1787 Haagen Olsen is living as a servant at age 15 for Anders Hansen in Magleby (after looking at the scan of the actual census page).