Where to Look for information

Startet af Marlon Henvit, 02 Apr 2020 - 20:12

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Marlon Henvit

My ggg-grandfather Jacob Petersen (1767-1843) and his two sisters were orphaned at a very early age. Their parents Peter Hansen (1737-1771) and Anna Jacobsen (1733-1771) died within a day of each other. Jacob as  well as his father was born in the Handewith parish from which my surname is derived. Anna Jacobsen is from Weesby, Medelby parish. The next record for Jacob that I have is from his marriage to Elsabe Matthiesen 26 April 1795 Tønder, Tønder, Tønder.

I have often wondered who raised the orphans, and what happened to his two sisters Hanna and Stiencke.

Amy suggestions where I might look for this information?

Marlon Hemvit
Mesquitr, Nevada USA

Grethe Leerbech

Mostly they would be brought up by the nearest family, sisters of the parents or brothers. But if the children was about 8-10 it is often seen, that they were sent out to farmers to serve them for "clothes and bread".

If you have the families name and place then look for confirmations  (if they are noted in the churchbooks from that time ) or in the 1787 census.
As Jacob is married in Tønder it would be likely, that he was either sent around to farmers to serve them or have been a sailer/fisherman- what was his job? 
Grethe
Helsinore
Thyholm,Vang, Gislum,Hornum,Hindsted, Slet, Års i Aalborg a. Ginding,Ringkøbing a.Rinds, Fjends,Hindborg,Viborg a. Nybøl, Sottrup,Sønderbog a.sogne i Tyskland, Sunds,Svendborg a.Tuse,Års,Løve i Holbæ

Marlon Henvit

Thanks Goethe, Jacob was only 4, the sisters were 7 and 9 at the time of the parents death. Records from that area are difficult to find online.

Marlon

Grethe Leerbech

Hi again Marion

I can see you know their birthyears, where did you get that from?
Handewitt (Handved) and Weesby are both in Germany, and the church books are only in the archiev-in Germany - not digitalised.
There is a book Kirchspiel Handewitth and maybe you could get somebody to look in that. Sometimes people have that book at home.
But try also to ask Cay-Erik Geipel in DS-Forum:
"Opslag i bøger og på arkiver m.v.)
In the beginning of this database you find : (light red background) .
Flensborg-Glücksburg-Aabenraa. 

I don't know if Cay-Erik has the Book "Kirchspiel Handewitt" at home, and then he has to go to the archiev, which lays far from where he lives, but sometimes he goes there to search other things.

And if you try that, remember you can subscribe at answers so you will get a message home, when you get it in DS-Forum

good luck
Grethe
Thyholm,Vang, Gislum,Hornum,Hindsted, Slet, Års i Aalborg a. Ginding,Ringkøbing a.Rinds, Fjends,Hindborg,Viborg a. Nybøl, Sottrup,Sønderbog a.sogne i Tyskland, Sunds,Svendborg a.Tuse,Års,Løve i Holbæ

Inger Toudal

Parish registers for Handewitt and Medelby are digitalized at https://www.archion.de/en/the-portal/passes/

https://www.archion.de/en/browse/?no_cache=1

Norddeutschland: Landeskirchliches Archiv der Evang.-Luth. Kirche
Kirchenkreis Schleswig-Flensburg
Handewitt

Norddeutschland: Landeskirchliches Archiv der Evang.-Luth. Kirche
Kirchenkreis Nordfriesland
Medelby

https://wiki.dis-danmark.dk/index.php/Handewitt

https://wiki.dis-danmark.dk/index.php/Medelby

Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal
Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal

Marlon Henvit

Thanks again Grethe, I have a copy of the book you mention. My German is worse than my Dane but the book is not helpful for the informationI desire. I am sworn to secrecy about from whom or how I received those dates.

Inger, those web pages you mention sound like just what I need. Thank you so much.

Marlon Henvit

Marlon Henvit

I am working on Inger's suggestion. However my command of the Danish language is week and my German in nonexistent. As a start could someone tell me the German work for the following and another you might feel helpful.
Baptism or birth, Confirmation, Death or funeral, Marriage, or any other you might feel would be helpful.

Marlon Henvit

Inger Toudal

Taufen: baptisms

Konfirmationen: confirmations

Verlobungen: betrothals

Trauungen: marriages

Bestattungen: burials

Namensregister: name index

Venlig hilsen
Inger
Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal