Tondern, Südwestquartier ?

Startet af Peter Skau, 08 Feb 2020 - 10:58

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Peter Skau

Hello,

my great-grandfather Peter Niels Skau lived in the 1890s in Tonder.
His adress was "Südwestquartier No 56". According to the 1845 Census, it was "Schloßstr".

Now I want to visit Tonder, but I have not found a street like that in current plans.
Dos anyone have any idea and can help me ?

Greeting from Hamburg
Peter

Bodil Pedersen

Hello.

I would guess that Schlossstr. is now called Slotsgade. Slotsgade is in the southwestern part of Tønder leading to Schackenborg Slot (Schloss).

Greetings
Bodil

Ebbe Thygesen

Hello Peter

As far as I know, there exist today no street with the name Slotsgade (Schloss Strasse) in Tønder(Tondern). The street mentioned by Bodil is probably the one located in a smaller town Møgeltønder 5 km west to Tønder.

But 100 years ago or more, there was a street with the name Schloss Strasse or in danish Slotsgade in Tønder. Please see the enclosed map from the period 1879 - 1924. Schloss Strasse is today covered by the street Frigrunden and maybe also Lillegade.

Close to Frigrunden the old "Tønderhus" castle was located. The castle was broken down 1750 and only the old gatehouse is still left (museum).

By the way for approx. 75 years ago there exist a bakery/café in Richtensgade 2 with the name after the owner Skau.   

Best regards, Ebbe 

Hans Chr. Baagøe

Schlosstrasse was renamed to Slotsgade in 1920, but in 1970 it got its new name "Frigrunden". Originally "Frigrunden was an area where Sclossstrasse was located.

Strassen in Tondern (in Dänisch): https://www.dengang.dk/artikler/1829

Frigrunden

I 1645 skænkede hertug Frederik
pladsen mellem Møllevej og Slotsgade til to af sine embedsmænd, og
fritog dem for al skat. Den kaldes derfor for Frigrunden og udgjorde
siden et selvstændigt ejerlav. Fra 1920 hørte det under Tønder landsogn,
indtil det i 1933 blev indlemmet i Tønder by. På frigrunden lå Slotsgade,
som omkring 1970 måtte afgive sit navn til fordel for Slotsgade i Møgeltønder.
Slotsgades nye navn blev derfor Frigrunden.

If this is the correct map, you will find no. 56 i the right part of the map:
https://hkpn.gst.dk/mapviewer.aspx?type=o2k_oekort&id=58290&elav=2008051

Hans Chr. Baagøe

Brian Lauridsen

According to the book "Bevaringsværdige huse I Tønder" Südwestquartier No 56 is now Frigrunden 19.
It is the house on the left with the gentleman standing in the door way.

https://arkiv.dk/vis/1597980

Brian

Peter Skau

@all,

many thanks for the great answers. It helped me a lot.
Now I'm looking forward to my next expedition to Tonder !

Best regards
Peter

Lisa Machan

Just a note as I ran across this today. My ancestor Conrad Carl Dohrn lived at Frigrunden 19 and 21, which at that time was Slotsgade 56 and 57. At least from 1755-1781 he was an official town and county musician and gave music lessons in his home. He lived in 56 and had his instruments in 57.

I visited his home in May of 2018 (the outside). It was on a lovely cobblestone street, where he lived tax-free because of his official status.

How interesting that our people in this home are separated by generations. I wish you all the best as you connect with this wonderful town and your history.

Lisa

Peter Skau

I am waiting and waiting... :(

Hopefully our countries wil soon open the boarders.