Transcription help please

Startet af Susan Russell, 17 Jun 2011 - 18:39

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Susan Russell

Things are getting more difficult as I move back to relatives in the time period before the census!

I'm having a hard time figuring out the Danish writing for two relatives in the same book:

Løgsted, Slet, Ålborg 1750 - 1788 (combined book for Kornum)
Opslag 244 (Bottom record)
4 Dec 1763
Christen Rasches ?? of Kornum ?? Christen born, Maren B?? ??
And then I think its the names of the godparents: Anne Horgensdatter[?], and Peder C? of Løgsted, Jens Poulsen and Peder Poulsen of Kornum
Note: I'm not really sure the father's last name is even close to "Rasches", but in the marriage record, one of the bondsmen is Christen Rasch of Kornum, so I thought that might be his father.

Løgsted, Slet, Ålborg 1750 - 1788
Opslag 247 (Middle record)
25 Aug 1765
Peder Trejstra?? and Gunild[?] Poulsdaatter ?? ?? Kornum, ?? Anne born. Anne Andersdaatter from Grønnen[?], Giertrud[?] Poulsdaatter, Poul Andersen, Jens Poulsen, and Søren Nielsen of Kornum
The father's last name the mother's first name look unusual, so I'm very unsure on those.

In case it might help to match up names, the marriage record of Christen Christensen and Ane Pedersdatter is in the book Kornum 1788 - 1813, opslag 19, with very nice handwriting!

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!
Areas of Interest:
København
Roskilde > Ramsø
Præsto > Strøby and Herfølge
Ålborg > Års > Flejsborg
Ålborg > Slet > Bjørnsholm, Kornum, Løgsted, Løgstor, Næsborg, Oudrup, Vindblæs

Brian Lauridsen

I read:

Christen Rasches søn af
Kornum, nome Christen, fadd.
Maren Brix? Jensdautter fra
Biørnstrup, Anne Jørgens-
dautter og Peder Laursen
af Løgsted, Jens Poulsen og
Peder Poulsen fra Kornum.

Peder Frejstrups og Gunild Pouls
Dautters Dautter af Øster
Kornum, nom: Anne, Fadd:
Anne Andersdautter fra
Grønnen, Giertrud Poulsdatt
Poul Andersen, Jens Poulsen
og Søren Nielsen af Kornum.

Brian

Poul-Erik Langvad

Hi

I read it:

Opslag 244 (Bottom record)
4 Dec 1763
Christen Rasches Søn af
Kornum, nom. Christen Fadd.
Maren Christensdatter fra
Biørnstrup, Anne Jørgens-
datter Peder Launsen
af Løgsted, Jens Poulsen og
Peder Poulsen fra Kornum.

Opslag 247 (Middle record)
25 Aug 1765
Peder Frejstrups og Gunild Pouls
Daatters Daatter af Øster
Kornum, nom. Anne Fadd.
Anne Andersdaatter fra
Grønnen, Giertrud Poulsdaatt.
Poul Anderssen, Jens Poulssen
og Søren Nielssen af Kornum

Nom. is short for Nomine and means: with the name.

M.v.h. Poul-Erik

Susan Russell

Brian and Poul-Erik,
Thanks so much for the assistance! Hopefully I can clear up the mother's (Maren) last name by finding some other records referring to them. It's great to have all the other names known!

I do have one question, as I'm not sure exactly how possessives work in Danish: Since the record says "Christen Rasches søn," does this mean the father's name is "Christen Rasch" or is the name actually "Christen Rasche" or "Christen Rasches?"

Thanks again!
Areas of Interest:
København
Roskilde > Ramsø
Ålborg > Års > Flejsborg

Poul-Erik Langvad

Hi

Christen Rasches Søn means: a son of Christen Rasch/Rasche. The first (Rasch) is  the most likely but I can not  exclude teh second.

M.v.h. Poul-Erik

Susan Russell

Poul-Erik,
Thanks, that's what I thought made sense (and I'll stick with "Rasch" since that matches the marriage record I have).

I also have one more question about the Christen Christensen record. I noticed that most of the christening records have the father's name and mother's name together, followed by the baby's name. In Christen's record, only the father's name comes first and I just noticed that Maren's name comes after "Fadd." Is there some reason the mother would not be listed? Perhaps if the child is illegitimate, or she died in childbirth? Hopefully this is my last question on these records -- thank you!

Susan
Areas of Interest:
København
Roskilde > Ramsø
Ålborg > Års > Flejsborg

Poul-Erik Langvad

The mothers name are missing in many records. It was a kind of redundant information at the time the records were made.

Record of illegitimate children had the name of the mother and perhaps also an alleged father.

Maren was not the mother. According to the church the mother was dirty and could not be present at the christening. Maren carried out the duties of the mother and was called: gudmoder.

M.v.h. Poul-Erik

Susan Russell

Poul-Erik,
Thanks again for you kind assistance!

Susan
Areas of Interest:
København
Roskilde > Ramsø
Ålborg > Års > Flejsborg