Locate a family home or farm on a map?

Startet af Matthew Dent, 12 Nov 2019 - 23:28

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Matthew Dent

Hello everyone,

I've been using the hkpn.gst.dk database to look at old maps to try and locate where ancestors may have lived. I was wondering if this is even possible and what strategies one might take to locate where a family might have lived on a map like this.

For instance, in the 1890 census I have an ancestor named Johanne Marie Kathrine Larsen, who in the census lives in a home called "brohuset i stae", in Vester Hassing Sogn, Aalborg. I believe that I've located the right map (https://hkpn.gst.dk/mapviewer.aspx?type=o2k_oekort&id=25570&elav=0601453), but have no idea where to go from there. I think a "brohus" is some kind of house near a bridge but that may not be relevant...
- Matthew

Ole Westermann

It might be the house here near Stade Bro https://historiskatlas.dk/@57.0866848,10.0708151,15z?m!54
At the menu down left you can choose maps from different periods - also 1840-99.

Ole

Matthew Dent

Oh wow yes I think you're right! This website is great. I guess Stade and Stae are the same? I wonder why the different spellings.
- Matthew

Ole Westermann

Stade and Stae is the same - locations often changed spelling as time went by.
And the bridge (bro) led over the small Stade/Stae bæk (creek/brook) you see at the map.

And at the map at your link from hkpn.gst.dk it must be the house with cadastral nr 2l

Matthew Dent

That makes sense, I'm getting better at this. Interestingly, there seems to still be a property on the location.
- Matthew

Anders M. Petersen

Medlem af DIS / Bruger Legacy 9.0
Mine aner: www.morup-petersen.dk/stamtavle/1.htm

Matthew Dent

Haha, yes I noticed ;)

I wonder if it's the same house after all these years...
- Matthew

Helmer Christiansen

From the information about cadastral number nr 2l (2+the small letter L) in Stae you can find the property at www.ois.dk

Present day address:
Halsvej 127
Stae
9310 Vodskov

Todays house was built 1945
Helmer Christiansen
2000 F