Peder Snystrop

Startet af Regina OBrien, 04 Jun 2011 - 19:25

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Regina OBrien

Looking for his marriage to figure out where he came from. The name changed from Snøystrøp to Snydstrup during his lifetime. 
It has been suggested that family may have been from southern Sweden while it was still part of Denmark. Another possibility was to change the spelling when he joined the royal navy.  Here is information I have.

Re: Birth of Peder Snydstrup (Snydstrop)
Posted by: Jette Ejlskov Toftegaard Pedersen (IP Logged)
Date: August 30, 2008 03:05PM

This must be the family:

kbhv, København (Staden), Købmager Kvarter, Grønnegade, 255, 1, FT-1787, B5770
Navn: Alder: Civilstand: Stilling i husstanden: Erhverv: Fødested:
Peder Snøystrøp 23 Gift Hosbonde Holmens Tømmermand
Inger Magrete Snoystrop 28 Gift Hustrue
Anne Mønt 71 Enke(mand) Konens Moder Pensionist af Qvisthuuset
Jacob Christian 32 Ugift Logerende Matros ved Holmen

kbhv, København (Staden), Hof & Militæretaten, Hof- & Militæretaten, Elefantgaden 15, 1027, FT-1801, A5020
Navn: Alder: Civilstand: Stilling i husstanden: Erhverv: Fødested:
Peder Snystrup 35 Gift Mand Tømmermand i Compagniet
Inger Mag. Jensdatter 42 Gift hans Kone
Rudolph M. Snystrup 14 Ugift deres Søn ?? Dreng 5 Compagnie
Hendrich P. Snystrup 11 Ugift do [deres Søn] Rugdreng 5 Compagnie

Did you find their marriage? It may give information about where he came from.

Med venlig hilsen
Jette Ejlskov Toftegaard Pedersen
6091 Bjert
DIS medlem 7167
[www.ejlskov.eu]

Eva Morfiadakis

If you look at the census in 1787 he has no children. Therefore I guess he must have been newly married in 1785-1786 for instance. I guess that he was married in Holmens parish. His mother in-law is at "qvisthuuset" which was the hospital for the Navy at Christianshavn. I assume her husband had also been a naval seaman of some kind.
I am curious where you have the information that his family may have come from southern Sweden. Denmark lost that part to Sweden in 1658. A lot of sources were destroyed by the Danes themselves and by the Swedes of course.

Eva M
Eva M

Eva Morfiadakis

You find the wedding:

Holmen 1780-1801
image 64

They were married on 21 November 1785. It doesn't say where he comes from only that they live in
Grønnegade.

Eva M
Eva M

Eva Morfiadakis

You also find the wedding
at Holmen 1778-1787
image 307

Here they mention a cofirmation certificate of 11 April 1774. I am afraid I can't read who issued it.
I think it is the name of a person, like Biskop ?ee. The bishop of Copenhagen in 1774 was named Harboe. Could it be his name?

Eva M
Eva M

Eva Morfiadakis

I forgot to say he is registered as a seaman and there is a number. This number is no doubt his military number and if you can find this roll it will certainly give more information, like father's name and where he was born.
I wonder if the date 11 April 1974 doesn't concern the wife: Vor Frue 1747-1813 confirmed image 85. However there may be an error the first names of No. 6 and 7 have been mixed up.

Eva M
Eva M

Eva Morfiadakis

PS. it should be 1774.

Eva M
Eva M

Ralph Rasmussen

Inger is listed in Holmen confirmations 1765-1801, opslag 13, Sunday after Easter 1774.  Nothing in that book on parents.

The betrothal and marriage are also noted in 1778-1787, opslag 307, right column.

mvh
-Ralph

PS. Oeders 1771 listing of married and widows has two entries that could be family.  Spelling and occupation differs, but many other details the same as this:

Kilde:  OE-1771
Mandens navn:  Snestrup Mandens erhverv:  Arbeydsman
Mandens alder:  40 Mandens civilstand:  Gift
Mandens nr. ægteskab:  1 Mand død (ja/nej):  Nej
Hustru død (ja(nej):  Nej Hustrus alder:  36
Hustrus civilstand:  Gift Hustrus nr. ægteskab:  1
Sogn:  Christianshavn Kvarter Herred:  København (Staden)
Amt:  København Stednavn:  76b
Indtastningsnr:  C6223 Løbenr.:  1085

The second is a 'Dansemester', Snystrup.
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Eva Morfiadakis

So the confirmation is for his wife. The first Sunday after Easter in 1774 was on 10 April according to an internet calender.

Eva M
Eva M

Regina OBrien

Thank you all for your help.  I have another bit of information about Peder. 

Snydstrup is not a common Danish name and is not one that a business person would want to share with my cousins.

I was told that the name probably referred to a place since he was not Peder Hanse, Jensen, etc.  I found some old historic books that used the name.
There is a string about them in the translation section.

Gina

I do not have internet at home so I can't look things up myself on work computer or library computer.

Regina OBrien

Eva,

I did not understand what  you meant about his registered seaman's number.  Where do I look for it and what documents would have his background.  I only know about the church and census records.

Thanks,

Gina

Eva Morfiadakis

Hello,

There is some kind of a number in the marriage entry after his name. It has to be his number in the navy. I have absolutely no idea about naval records in Denmark.

Eva M
Eva M

Regina OBrien

Ok.   I will try the Mormon records here to see what they have on Danish military records.  An outline on their website sounds promising.