ø or o?

Startet af David Møller, 06 Apr 2011 - 10:39

Forrige emne - Næste emne

David Møller

My Danish surname is spelt "Møller" in Denmark but always plain "Moller" in the UK.

Just wondering does the omission of ø affect the pronounciation of the name? Moller in the UK is pronounced the same as in "dollar" - what about in Denmark with the "ø"?

Karen Graabæk Møller

Dear David

Oh how we suffer, we Møller's. No one outside Scandinavia can pronounce our name correctly - oh, wait, the German's can too, they just write it Möller (silly!)  ;D

My "poor" Møller relatives in the States of course resorted to the translation: Miller. Which is so much easier than having it transcribed Moeller as it has been in my passport!

Should have taken my husband's name afterall - his is Pedersen, most can say that without mutilating it!  ;)

Didn't follow Bjarne's link myself - I hope he checked the pronounciation.  ;) And that you could here the difference!

Karen G. Møller

David Møller

Hi Karen!

Oh yes, I've had my surname mis-spelt thousands of times - Muller, Mellor, Miller, Moeller - sometimes I'm not sure who I am!

But I draw the line at being called David Mellor (often....) as that is the name of a "rogue" MP in the UK! (I think he can be googled?)

I have a Danish friend in London but don't see her very often. I'll ask her about this pronounciation when I next see her.

mvh

David