Need help finding two children after their mother dies - Jernved Parish, Ribe

Startet af Claude Anders Hanson, 21 Aug 2021 - 02:07

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Claude Anders Hanson

Both children and their mother were born in Jernved Parish.  1st child, Karen Marie Hansen was born 16 Jun 1869.  2nd child Andrea Hansen was born 3 Sept 1870.  Mother, Marie Lauritzen, daughter of Peder Lauritzen and Woldborg Pedersen, was born 7 Sept 1847 and died 19 June 1871.  She was married to my g grandfather, Niels Hansen, who was born in Dostrup Parish, Tonder county on 16 May 1848, the son of Anders Hansen and Karen Hansdatter.  Niels left Denmark and arrived in New York on 27 Mar 1873....with no children.  I can find NOTHING concerning his two daughters.  I need help!!!

John Damm Sørensen

Hello Claude,

When did your grandfather die?
His death might have been reported to the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs. If that is the case we might be able to locate the sisters.

Best
John

Niels Just Rasmussen

Citat fra: Claude Anders Hanson Dato 21 Aug 2021 - 02:07
Both children and their mother were born in Jernved Parish.  1st child, Karen Marie Hansen was born 16 Jun 1869.  2nd child Andrea Hansen was born 3 Sept 1870.  Mother, Marie Lauritzen, daughter of Peder Lauritzen and Woldborg Pedersen, was born 7 Sept 1847 and died 19 June 1871.  She was married to my g grandfather, Niels Hansen, who was born in Dostrup Parish, Tonder county on 16 May 1848, the son of Anders Hansen and Karen Hansdatter.  Niels left Denmark and arrived in New York on 27 Mar 1873....with no children.  I can find NOTHING concerning his two daughters.  I need help!!!

Hi Claude.
Besides John's excellent suggestion there is a "brute force method".   

The problem is that Slesvig-Holsten was lost in 1864 (to Prussia) and only North Slesvig came back to Denmark in 1920.
So from that period you have NO Danish census to search within Slesvig-Holsten [Hole from Census 1860 to Census 1921].

As the mother died and the father left for USA, then the two girls were either place in fostercare or even adopted.
With adoption could follow a complete change of names, but normally the church book entry of birth and baptism should add those informations.
If in fostercare, they would keep their birth names, but when later married (if so) they would change their surnames.....
Gives us big problems as "Karen Marie" is a very common name and "Andrea" are still quite common.......

They are not confirmed in Jernved Sogn [Ribe Amt], so they could have been placed in fostercare among relatives (though strangers could also do fostering).
It is a place to start -> locate siblings of both mother and father and see if you can find the two daughters confirmed in those parishes. There is a big chance they would also be married in the same parish.
I tried Døstrup parish where Niels Hansen was born: No luck there either.....

Best of luck
Niels

Niels Just Rasmussen

Marie Lauritzens parents:

Folketælling 1850: Ribe, Gørding, Jernved, Jernvedlund, En Gaard, 26, FT-1850, C3400
Anne Marie Pedersdatter     56     Enke          Gaardmandsenke og Husmoder     Jernved Sogn, Ribe Amt 
Peder Lauridsen Lydiksen     27     Gift          Hendes Søn, driver Gaarden     Jernved Sogn, Ribe Amt 
Voldborg Pedersdatter     23     Gift          Hans Kone     Holsted Sogn, Ribe Amt 
Marie Lauridsen     3     Ugift          Deres Datter     Jernved Sogn, Ribe Amt 
&
Folketælling 1860: Ribe, Gørding, Jernved, Jernvedlund, En gaard, 54, FT-1860, D4780
Peder Lauritzen Lydiksen     37     Gift     Gaardmand. huusfader          Her i Sognet 
Valdborg Pedersen     35     Gift     Hans kone          Gjørding Sogn, Ribe Amt 
Marie Lauritzen     13     Ugift     Deres børn          Her i Sognet 
Louvise Lauritzen     10     Ugift     Deres børn          Her i Sognet 
&
Folketælling 1870: Ribe, Gørding, Jernved, Jernvedlund, Huus, 21, FT-1870, D4781
Peder Laursen Lydigsen     47     Gift     Huusfader     Gaardmand     Jernved Sogn, Ribe Amt 
Valborg Pedersen     45     Gift     Huusmoder          Holsted Sogn, Ribe Amt 
Lovise Laursen     19     Ugift     Datter          Jernved Sogn, Ribe Amt  [Married "Kallesen" below]
&
Folketælling 1880: Ribe, Gørding, Jernved, Jernvedlund by, En gaard, 38, FT-1880, D4782
Hans Nielsen Kallesen     32     Gift     Huusfader, gaardeier          Emmeskou til Tønder 
Lovise Kallesen     29     Gift     Hans hustru          Her i Sognet [= Louise/Lovise Lauritzen/Laursen]
Lene Dorthea Marie Kallesen     6     Ugift     Deres børn          Her i Sognet 
Valborg Ane Marie Kallesen     2     Ugift     Deres børn          Her i Sognet 
Peder Laugesen Lydiksen     57     Gift     Aftægtsfolk, faaer ophold hos deres svigersøn          Her i Sognet 
Valdborg Lydiksen     56     Gift     Aftægtsfolk, faaer ophold hos deres svigersøn          Gjørding Sogn, Ribe Amt 

Niels Peter Høeg     13     Ugift     Faaer opdragelse af sin morbroder Hans Nielsen Kallesen          Emmeskou til Tønder 
Kilde: Dansk Demografisk Database.

NB: So Karen Marie Hansen og Andrea Hansen are NOT with Marie Lauritzens little sister (nor the grandparents) in the 1880 Census.
Actually somewhat surprising.....

For some weird reason Niels Hansen and Marie Lauritzen and oldest daughter Karen Marie Hansen eludes me from the 1870 Census; where they should appear.

Claude Anders Hanson

Special thanks to those who tried to help me find my grandfathers two "lost" half sisters!  Although our our efforts were fruitless, I especially want to thank Neils Just Rasmussen for his effort and time spent trying to locate them with family members.

John Damm Sørensen

Hi Claude
When and where did your grandfather die ?

It is very likely that his death was reported to the Danish authoritirs.

Best
John