Two Different Marriage Entries on Same Couple-Need Danish Transcription

Startet af Lynn Christiansen, 01 Apr 2011 - 18:20

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Lynn Christiansen

I have two 1796 marriage records for the same couple Christen Jensen to Leve (sp?) Guthholmsdatter:

1726-1813 Aarhus Vor Frue Hasle Aarhus opslag 212 pg 311 2nd from Bottom
1749-1813 Aarhus Vor Frue Hasle Aarhus opslag 34 page 18 # Jul 17 1796

Notes:
1) 1726-1813 book-there seems to be two columns, the column to the far left has dates therein, the column to the right has narrative
2) 1749-1813 book-there are two columns, the left column is the marriage information and the right column I believe is the betrothal information, there are no headings on this page, but on the prior page there is.

I have attached a cropped version of each to this thread:

I would appreciate someone taking a look at them and providing me with a Danish Transcription of each

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]
Research Areas: Thisted, Aarhus, Viborg

Ole Westermann

Hi Lynn,

The first one:
Onsdagen
d 13de Julii (the betrothal)
Copuleret d 21
Decbr af Selmer (the priest)
Troeloves (is betrothed) UngKarl Christian Jensen til Pigen Liva Guth:
Holms* Datter, og som Forlovere ere .. undertegnede borgere (and as sponsors are .. undersigned citizens)
Aarhuus d 12te Julii        Christen Fogh
                                   Mathias Holm
* I think the surname is Holm, and her fathers name is Guth(?)

The second (from the book written by the parish clerk (degn)):
Jul.17 UngKl Christian Jensen
                          og
            Leve GilHormsda:  /:Pige:/

I think the dates from the first book written by the priest are correct.
There might be some confusion about Liva (?)'s surname. It could be Holm, but it could also be Guttormsdatter.
Guttorm is a Norwegian name. Maybe a mis-hearing from the priest?! Maybe she had no baptism certificate to show?

A couple of minutes later I found this:
Aarhus, Hasle, Aarhus Købstad, Fiskergade, 272, 250, FT-1801, B3333
Navn: Alder: Civilstand: Stilling i husstanden: Erhverv: Fødested:
Christian Faxholm 30  Gift husbond matros (sailor)
Lise Gutormsdatter 36  Gift hans kone  
Jens Christian Christensen 1  Ugift deres søn  
Marta Christensdatter 3  Ugift deres datter

The baptism of their 2 children are seen in Aarhus Domsogn 1729-1800 at opslag 244 and 586, and in both cases the mothers name is Live Guthormsdatter.

mvh Ole

Lynn Christiansen

Ole---

I appreciate your help. I wonder why there were two entries? in fact why there were two books that covered the same period?

I had from other sources that she was possibly from Norway. Now to find any immigration records to see if she was from Norway and when she came to Denmark and if so where from to find any birth info, parents, etc.?

Again thank you for your input.....
Research Areas: Thisted, Aarhus, Viborg

Ole Westermann

Lynn,

I wonder why there were two entries? in fact why there were two books that covered the same period?

In the old days there was a much greater risk of fire, and many rectories (præstegårde) burned down, and gone were then also often the church books ! Because of this risk it was ordered from 1814 that there should be 2 books, one in the rectory written by the parish priest, and one with and written by the parish clerk. But in many parishes this had been done voluntarily also before 1814.
In most cases the 2 books are (and ought to be) identical, but it's not always the case (as you see here). Human folly !

From 1388 to 1814 Norway was a part of Denmark. So until 1814 travelling between Denmark and Norway (and many did so) was travelling within the same country. So there are no immigration records.
So if you don't find any other informations about Live Guttormsdatter's origin, it might be like looking for the needle in the haystack.
The Norwegian files are here (english version): http://www.arkivverket.no/eng/content/view/full/2 , and they are excellent.

Ole

Ole Westermann

But you must also be aware of that many Norwegians joined the Danish Navy. Many lived in Copenhagen in Holmen parish.
So maybe Live could have been born there ?

Ole