Difficult entry to read

Startet af Lynn Christiansen, 27 Mar 2011 - 01:54

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Lynn Christiansen

From Hjardemål Hillerslev Thisted 1678-1808 opslag 129 page 59A 1st entry I am having a difficult time making out and reading the Danish and therefore need a Danish Transcription and English Translation.

I have the following:

Danish Transcription:

Anno 1732
Midfaste Søndag Povel Clemmesen (Is this correct and spelling??)  ?? ??
?? daaben og kaldet Skammel, teste Jeppe Jeppesen
??, ?? i Hjardemål
og ?? Michelsdatter, Christen Lauridsen (sp??) datter Maren

Your help would be appreciated.....Thank you.
Research Areas: Thisted, Aarhus, Viborg

Ole Westermann

Hi Lynn

Here is what I think I can read:

Anno 1723
Midfaste Søndag* (Mid-Lent Sunday) Povel Clemesøn i Blogsgaard** hans Barn (his child)
til Daaben kaldet (to baptism called) Skammel, test: Jeppe Jeppesøn
og (and) Christen? Christensøn, Lars? F...en ........ i Hiarmol
Karen? Christensdaatter, og? Christen Lauridsøns daatter Maren

*   in 1723 it's March 7
** see opslag 125 (exactly 1 year earlier), where their son Niels is baptized. And it's very much easy to read ! And his wife Maren Schammelsdatter is also mentioned (but maybe you know).

Kindly
Ole

Lynn Christiansen

Thank you for your assistance.

I did find that entry but it was after I posted this one. I also noted my mistake on the date, i.e. switching two of the numbers around. But you help gave me specifics on a direct line relative.

Niels entry gave me additional information and the confirmation of some of the Skammel data. Niel also died at the age of 8 days. His death entry is found further along in the register. (1722 Death Hjardemål Hillerslev Thisted 1678-1808 img 373 pg 181 1st entry)

What a tragedy that must have been. My wife and I just had three grandkids born in the last 3 months. So it would be hard to imagine the death of such a new born.

I also note that you have the spelling of Povel as Povel (as well as the baptism entry) , other places I have seen it as Poul. Is that the same only spelled differently? Or just interpretations?

Ole Westermann

The name Poul was spelled in many ways: Poffuel, Pofvel, Povel, Pouel, and I imagine that they pronounced it nearly the way they spelled it !
The mortality rates were high, especially among children (and women giving birth). I remember having seen a priest who had to bury 5 young children and his rather young wife within 6 months !

At this old map you can see Blogsgaard (here called Bloergaard, now called Blovgaard) east to Hiardemaal:
http://arkiv.kms.dk/mpn/o2mapviewer.aspx?type=sognekort&id=1775&mode=2&elav=6903

Ole

Lynn Christiansen

Ole---

The site from which you provided the link...Is it available to the general public? if so what is its homepage?

I tried to change the URL and it asked for a UserID and Password. Hence, the question of the homepage and its accessibility.

Ole Westermann

Lynn,

I've made this 'maual' to another friend in US to find the old maps:
(and they are available for everybody without UserID or password)

Finding old maps in Denmark:

Go to   http://kmswww3.kms.dk/kortpaanettet/
Click  "LANDKORT" (maps) , click "Vælg kort" (choose map)  (actual/historical), choose "landkort", and just below choose "oversigtskort 1:1.600.000" and a red quadrangle shows up at the green map. Click somewhere at the map, and the quadrangle moves there. If you click at the map, the next map will have the center there. Then you can choose "Danmark 1:100.000" from "Vælg kort" and find exactly the area you want to.

And to find the old maps you must go back to the top and click "MATRIKELKORT" and then click "Find stedet i historiske kort". Then a new window comes up, and you can choose "Matrikelkort" (cadastral maps) or "Sognekort" (parish maps). The parish maps are the most distint, and the first cadastral maps were the original maps, often containing tha names of the owners/copyholders. The whole Denmark was measured from around 1790 to 1820, and the first cadastral maps are the result of this.

Choose a map, choose "maximize" in the white quadrangle next to X, and then you can navigate at the map as you like. If you want a copy of a part of the map, click Kopi , click PDF, click at Layout (standing or lying), and a red quadrangle shows up, and you can move it where you want, then click "Vælg udsnit" and a message tells you, that the PDF document is being generated and takes a few seconds and askes you if you want to continue. Click OK, a new small window comes up and you can choose "Gem" (save) and you can choose where you want to put it on your pc.

If you want to put arrows or text on the map, you must first print it and from that print make a new file to your pc. And then use a program for writing/drawing at the map.

I hope it will work for you. It's very exciting to look at these old maps.

Best wishes
Ole

Lynn Christiansen