Soldiers from Fynske

Startet af Mike Jones, 16 Mar 2011 - 18:54

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Mike Jones

Hello,

I'm researching the father of Marie Christiane Christensdatter who was born on the 5th of March 1809 in Brundby, Tranebjerg, Samso, Skanderborg, the information from her baptism record states her farther was a soldier from Fynske, named Christen Michelsen, I have looked threw the census and church records for the time period, for the mention of her fathers name again and I found a death record for a soldier Christen Michelsen of Fynske in the 1789-1814 Besser, Samso, Skanderborg church book on opslag 151, #9, its the first record on the page, it states he died in Kyholm. Based on his age at time of death, it gives him a birth year of about 1765, so I then went to the Fyn area of Denmark and checked the census and I found a Christen Michelsel in Odense, Lunde, Norup, Hasmark By, year 1787, it list him as aged 21, ugift, Tjenestekarl, National dragon. So I checked the baptism records for a birth and I found it in the  1646-1781 Norup, Lunde, Odnese records on Opslag 455, a the top of the page.

I'm convinced that this the right man and is there any records about soldiers online that I could check to  confirm my thoughts.

I thank all for your help and your thoughts on this.

Mike Jones

Jette E. Toftegaard Pedersen

I think it will be difficult to find anything online. There is a conscription register on the archives and this register may have the information.
Med venlig hilsen

Jette (medlem 7167)
6000 Kolding

Mike Jones

Hello Jette,

Where might I find the conscription registers?

Thanks
Mike Jones

Maybe in Odense if he was born in Hasmark.
Med venlig hilsen

Jette (medlem 7167)
6000 Kolding

Mike Jones

Ok I start in Odense, if he was born in Hasmark, but do I email someone or snail mail a letter or is there a website i can get info on whom to contact . Then if he went to Kyhom, I assume I then need to contact someone in that area.

What are your thoughts, does it seem likely that this is the Christen Michelsen, I need to be researching?

Mike Jones

The are 2 Kyholm in Denmark: One in Tranebjerg Parish on Samsø and one in Norup Parish on Fyn, but I guess it is the Kyholm by Samsø in this case.

I have checked the church records you are referring to.

But here http://www.kefotos.dk/tng/getperson.php?personID=I24218&tree=tree1 her father is said to be someone else. But at her confirmation there is no father mentioned and the mother is called Maren Christine Dideriks Datter so I guess it is a mistake and the father mentioned at that link is a stepfather.

Here you can read about the Danish archives: http://www.sa.dk/content/us/ - Odense is here: http://www.sa.dk/content/us/about_us/provincial_archives/provincial_archives_of_funen
Med venlig hilsen

Jette (medlem 7167)
6000 Kolding

I have just found the Kyholm church record by Samsø and Christen Mikkelsen died there.

If it is the Christen Mikkelsen from Hasmark I do not know. He could be from anywhere in Denmark allthough being in the Fynske Artelleri Regiment. The persons who died on Kyholm and who were in Fynske Artelleri Regisment were from all over the country.
Med venlig hilsen

Jette (medlem 7167)
6000 Kolding

Mike Jones

Thank you again Jette.

So what your saying is finding a Christen Michelsen that is listed as a National dragon in the 1787 Norup, Odense census around the same age as he was when he died in realy just a coincidence.

So what would you reccomend that I do to find the correct Christen Michelsen, I was really hoping I finally broke threw this brick wall.

Regards
Mike Jones

There may be some archives about the soldiers in Fynske Artilleri Regiment, but I do not know.
Med venlig hilsen

Jette (medlem 7167)
6000 Kolding