Question of curiosity

Startet af Lynn Christiansen, 09 Mar 2011 - 16:12

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Lynn Christiansen

How important was the correct spelling of one's name and the accuracy of one's age to an individual and/or the government in the mid-1800s?

The reason that I am asking is I have a great grandfather (GGF) who was born in 1832 (documented). My GGF's name was given as Anders Christian Mikkelesen.

In the 1855 census there is an entry of an individual by the same name but spelled somewhat differently: Anders Christian Michelsen. It indicates his age as 22, close but not quite. He is also single.

By virtue of the age and spelling of his name and several events that took place in my GGF's life (marriage and children) I am questioning whether this is really my GGF in the 1855 census even though the name and age is close.

Five years later in the 1860 census (and this IS my GGF's family) he is married with children ages 7, 3 and 1. I have documented my GG parents marrying in 1852 and having their first child in 1853, second in 1855 who died in 1858, a 3rd in 1857 and a fourth in 1859. This fits the 1860 census except:

The problem I have with the 1860 census is that by my calculations his age should be 28 (1860-1832=28) and not 31 as indicated.

All of the other information of the 1860 census fits my GGF's family.

The difference in the spelling of ones name and the age differences leads me to my question regarding the importance of the accuracy of age and spelling details during that time period?

Anyone's input would be appreciated, and maybe I will quit worrying about the 3 years difference.....in 1860  :)
Research Areas: Thisted, Aarhus, Viborg

Gitte Hovedskov

Hi Lynn

I believe it is commonly accepted that the spelling of names that you find in the church registers at the time of the christening is the 'correct' spelling. It may not be the spelling that the family would have chosen, but whatever the vicar put in the book (and that applies even today) was 'the truth'. You will find people of the same family having their names spelt differently in church records. The other day, I even came across an entry where the child's surname was spelt differently to that of his father in the next column. Not all that uncommon.

As for the censuses, they are only 'reasonably' reliable, and you will find names, dates, ages and places indicated in a great variety of ways, after all, they were entered by 'mere humans'.

There are no guarantees, I am afraid. Just the other day, I was at a christening where the mother complained that her newly christened son's name had been spelt wrong on the birth certificate. The apologetic church official answered: "I just put what I heard you say on the phone," and the mother insisted she had spelt out the name clearly.

We just have to rely on our detective and deductive skills, I guess, to make 'as sure as possible' that we get the data right.

Good luck!

Gitte  :)

Anette Eriksen

Hi Lynn,

I too have ancestors with the name of Mikkelsen. Often also spelled Michelsen. Or (in this case my great grand mother) Michelsdatter/Mikkelsdatter (Michelsdaughter - daughter og Michel/Mikkel). So if you find everything else in accordance I would have a strong believe that you have the right person.

Were in Denmark are we talking about? Maybe we can find some other proof from here.

My great grand mother married into the surname Christensen. Out of five children, two were christened Christensen and three were christened Kristensen. Same family, but - as Gitte indicates - missspelled by the vicar.

Best of luck
Anette Eriksen

Lynn Christiansen

This family resided in the Thisted, Sennel, Vestervig area of Thisted Amt.

Christina Wilson

Census records are only as good as the person taking the information.

Imagine the census taker has one farm left to visit, it's two kilometers down the road and sunset is fast approaching. So instead of going to the farm, he asks the people at the neighboring farm. Yes, they weren't supposed, to--but I bet it happened. I've seen some pretty weird census entries. Ones that I have pretty well established are the people I'm looking for--but with some really off-the-wall (and wrong) spellings.

On the other hand, I had one ancestor (a school teacher) who was the census enumerator for his community.

Christina
Christina

Palle Buch Carlsen

Hi Lynn

I looked at the Thisted - Vestervig census 1860 and found Anders Christian Michelsen aged 28, born in Vestervig parish, unmarried.
Where did you find the one aged 31? I'm not able to find him in Thisted Amt 1860.
I think you have some mixup of data.

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]
Med venlig hilsen
Palle Buch Carlsen
Århus
Henvisning til indvandrerslægterne Kirschbaum, Gercken og Nouvel modtages med tak.

Lynn Christiansen

Where specifically did you find the image that you attached? I am a little slow as to being able to find it exactly.

As for my source the original can be found at AO Census for 1860 with the following parameters:

1860, Købstad, Thisted amt, Thisted Købstad, opslag 72  - on the far right side

I read the entry as:

And (Anders) Chr.(Christian) Mikelsen, 31 years, married,
Ellen Pedersen, 31 years, married, his wife
Mette Marie Mikelsen, 7
Lars Mikelsen, 3
Petrine Mikelsen, 1

Base on my research it is my belief that his age of 31 compared to birth year (1832) shows an inconsistent age and it should be 26 not 31. My belief is the enumerator took Ellen's age as the age for both by mistake.

I also I have the following for his family: 
-Ellen wife, age ok and documented,
        married 12 Nov 1852 (Thisted Hundborg Thisted 1837-1853 opslag 322 page 490-#30)
-Mette age ok and documented
-Petrine missing age 5 (died 1858) both birth and death documented
-Lars age ok and documented
-Petrine age ok and documented (A second daughter was born to them in 1859 and named Petrine)

They had several children AFTER the 1860 Census.

I believe this is the proper family in spite of the incorrect age for Anders. But if I am wrong I want to find out now rather than several generations later.....

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Lynn Christiansen

Palle----I found your opslag at parameters 1860 Landsogn Thisted Amt Refs Herred Vestervig Sogn opslag 27 right side 2nd entry

It looks like I am going to have to put some thought and research into this.

It brings me back to my original concerns/curiosity relative to the accuracy of spelling and ages....HMMMMM

Poul-Erik Langvad

Hi

The FT-1860 you have given shows:

And. Chr. Michelsen 31 Søemand
Ellen Pedersen 30

That fits with Anders Christian Michelsen born 10 maj 1829 and Ellen born 9. april 1830.
Anders was konfirmeret 1844 and the record tells that he was vacc. 17 juli 1832 by Wittendorff.

I had a problem reading he birthplace in the 1860 census but I think it must be Hovsør.

M.v.h. Poul-Erik

Palle Buch Carlsen

Hi

Following Poul - Eriks suggestion about Hovsør I made a search on www.krabsen.dk and found that Hovsør is a place in Østerild parish, Thisted amt.
Taking a look in the church records for Thisted, Hillerslev herred, Østerild parish 1814-1842 I found on opslag 26, born may 4th
Anders Christian Michelsen,
parents: farmer Michel Christen-
sen and wife Else Marie
Jensdatter, Hovsør.
Baptized in the church 24th of may.
Sponsors, maid? Ane Kirstine Christens-
datter (the fathers sister?) carried the child, maid Ane Høgh
stood by, farmers Peder Jensen, Jens
Mortensen and Anders Larsen.

This must be the rigth Anders Christian.
Med venlig hilsen
Palle Buch Carlsen
Århus
Henvisning til indvandrerslægterne Kirschbaum, Gercken og Nouvel modtages med tak.

Lynn Christiansen

I took a close look at all of your comments and came to the conclusion that the correct Anders Christian Michelsen was born 10 May 1829. I located his birth entry found his parents and 10 siblings.

It has been a long but fruitful night of it.

Now everything fits together nice and neat.

Thanks for your help and comments......