Research In Ebeltoft, Randers

Startet af Mike Jones, 09 Mar 2011 - 15:31

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Mike Jones

Hello,

Wondering if someone could help me out. I have this record, I have no clue where I got it from, which I attatched, and I cant read danish so I was hoping someone could translate it for me. The thing is I'm researching Johan Diderich Trolle's wife Maren Jorgensdatter from Ebeltoft, Randers and I cant seem to find anything on Maren Jorgensdatter nor her parents. I was hoping with all the great researcher on this forum, someone might be able to assit me in the search.

Many thanks
Mike Jones

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Gitte Hovedskov

Hi Mike

I'm attaching a rough translation. Hope it helps.

Gitte  :)

Gitte Hovedskov

There is a Ditlef Trolle and Maren Jensdatter in the 1787 census for Ebeltoft Købstad, Mols, Randers.

This may not be of relevance, but Trolle is not a very common name, and this Trolle is also shown as a smith (as 'your' Trolle).

Gitte

Mike Jones

Thank you Gitte for the translation.

The 1787 census is the right family, if you look at the original census record it clearly states Maren's surname as Jorgensdatter, must have been a error when adding it to the census website.

In the page that you translated, does any of that info, in your opinion, shed light as where I can start looking for information on Jorgen Andersen Smed and his daughter Maren Jorgensdatter?

I thank you again for all your help.

Regards
Mike Jones

Gitte Hovedskov

Hi Mike

Well, maybe you could look for the marriage between Maren and Johan in Ebeltoft between about 1768 (the year she turned 18) and 1779 (where Johan is 'the son-in-law')?

As for the birth of Maren, although she may be born in Ebeltoft, this may quite well be recorded in the church book for Dråby, so that might be worth a try?

There will be experts in here who can give you better advice than me, I'm afraid.

(I live in Ebeltoft, by the way, which is why I jumped at the chance to have a look at your text  :D)

Gitte

Poul-Erik Langvad

Hi

You can look for the marriage on opslag 79 Ebeltoft 1745-1791.

On opslag 38 (same book) there is a small note about Maren and on opslag 40 the christening of Mette Kiestine.

M.v.h. Poul-Erik

Gitte Hovedskov

I presume you noticed that there was a daughter in that census, too?

Marie Kirstine, aged 4.

Gitte  :)

Mike Jones

Hello, and thank you Poul-Erik and Gitte.

I did notice the Mette Kierstine on the census, she is my direct ancestor.

My problem with researching this family is trying to pin point Maren Jorgensdatter'd birth or christening.

I do know that she died in Ebeltoft and was buried on the 22nd of May 1789. can be seen in the Ebeltoft 1745-1791 on opslag 63, it states she was 40 years old.

She would have been born in 1749 and according to the census she would have been born in 1750.

Regards, Mike

Gitte Hovedskov

Just came across an entry for Johan Diderich Smed and his wife Mette Lauritzdatter having a daughter christened Maren in 1795, born 5 Feb that year. (Ebeltoft, Mols, Randers 1790-1813, page 17, third paragraph from the top. I am presuming this must be Maren's husband and his new wife.

Don't know if it's of interest to you, but it would be to me if it were my family tree.

Mike Jones

Thank you Gitte, yes any information on the family I'm interested in.

I attached another sheet of paper with information on Johan Diderich Smed, could you translate this if you don't mind.

Regards
Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Hello,

I was just wondering what anyones thought are on this...I hope all makes sense.

I see that on the www.familysearch.org website that there is a Maren Jorgensdatter, baptized in Draby, Randers, Denmark, her father is Jorgen Smed, the baptism was on the 14 of May 1745.
I was looking at the confirmation in the 1745-1791 Ebeltoft records thinking maybe I would see Maren's Confirmation, I see one in the year 1759 opslag 551, #4 (most children are confirmed around the age of 14)

I know Maren Jorgensdatter's birth was around 1749, and if the birth years is right her confirmation would be around 1763, but I dont see any Maren's confirmed around that time, So I wonder if a mistkae could have been made on her age.

Oh tracking this family is making my head spin, nothing is never easy.

Please let me know what your thoughts are.

Regards
Mike Jones

Poul-Erik Langvad

Hi

In the deathrecord her age is "nogle og 40 Aar". I think that mean that she was 40 - 50 years old and there is only one record of a Maren Jørgensdatter "konfirmeret" and that is from 1759. As you wrote a person had to be 14 years old when he/she was "konfirmeret" and that means that Maren was born 1745 or earlier.

On opslag 141 Ebeltoft 1692-1773 you can find Jørgen Smeds son Peder baptized 17. juni 1740. Jørgen must have arrived to Ebeltoft 1740 or earlier.

M.v.h. Poul-Erik

Poul-Erik Langvad

Maren Jørgensdatter baptized in Dråby 14. maj 1745 (Dråby 1693-1768 opslag 81) fit the one "konfirmeret" in Ebeltoft 1759 but her father was Jørgen Smed from Boeslum and that does not agree with your source telling that he lived in Nedergade all the time he was in Ebeltoft.

I have seen no record placing Jørgen in Ebeltoft between 1740 and 1750 but that does not prove that he was in Boeslum.

M.v.h. Poul-Erik

Gitte Hovedskov

Hi Mike

Here's another rough translation. Please ask if something doesn't make sense.

Gitte Hovedskov

Oops ... on the word 'borgerskab' in the Danish text:
I translated it as 'citizenship', but just found in the dictionary, that in American English it should be 'trade license'.

Doesn't change the fact that he left Ebeltoft, though.  But he didn't resign his national citizenship (if such a thing existed back then?). ;D

Mike Jones

Hello,

Thank you again Gitte and Poul-Erik for all your help.

Sound like Diderich Smed, wasn't the best citizen.

Is there any way of finding out if my Jorgen Smed would have been in the Boeslum area around 1745?

Regard
Mike Jones

Gitte Hovedskov

Hi Mike
On the contrary, there is nothing to indicate that Diderich Smed was anything but a man in financial trouble, grateful that someone was bailing  him out.

People born in Boeslum in 1745 should be in the Dråby churchbook, but could just as well be registered in Ebeltoft.

As far as I am aware, there's only the hard slog through the churchbooks to find out.

Marriage of Jørgen Andersen Smed and Marie Nielsdatter in Ebeltoft, Mols, Randers 1745-1791, Opslag 70, first record under 1758 in left-hand column.

Gitte

Gitte Hovedskov

Sorry Mike

It's getting late here, I misunderstood your question. Thought you were asking about how to find the birth of Jørgen Andersen. Ignore my remark about slogging through the churchbooks.

Gitte  ::)

Mike Jones

Thank you Gitte for all your help with this.

Regards
Mike Jones