will help find ancestors in Canada/US

Startet af Anita Griffith, 06 Mar 2011 - 01:28

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Anita Griffith

Hi - I can try to help anyone looking for ancestors who lived in Canada or the USA. I'm mostly limited to what I can find on-line and locally where I live (southern Ontario).
Anita

Bjarne Due Pedersen

Hi Anita.

I am looking for Edit Hansine Due, born 07-03-1912 in Skovlænge, Maribo county, Denmark.
She lived in Ny Adelgade 5, Copenhagen in 1942 and emigrated to Canada, anytime after that.
She was married in Canada with NN Remington-White.
She should be alive today, living in a nursing home, maybe around Kelowna, BC. Her houseband is dead and there is no children.

I am interested in her emigration, marriage and other informations.
Med venlig hilsen
Bjarne Due Pedersen
Med Lolland som midtpunkt for slægten
Bosat 3310, http://bjarne-due.dk

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Bjarne Due Pedersen Dato 06 Mar 2011 - 08:37
I am interested in her emigration, marriage and other informations.

I can only help with her emigration:  She arrived New York from Copenhagen 6 November 1951 on the ship "Erria" listed as "in transit to Canada" (attached)

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]
Areas of interest:  Tønder county,  Brede, Daler, and Visby parishes
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=-skow-

Bjarne Due Pedersen

Thank you, at least I know when she emigrated  ;D
Med venlig hilsen
Bjarne Due Pedersen

Anita Griffith

The marriages indexed for British Columbia, Canada don't show a marriage that happened after 1951 - we have a restriction and must wait at least 70 years before they are available for public viewing. I looked a bit and can't find a record of her in a phone book in Kelowna. Do you have any more information?
Are you sure she's still alive? What was the first name of her husband?
Anita

Bjarne Due Pedersen

I dont know his first name  :-\
She should be alive. I have arelative, a niece to her (82 years old), living in Norway, and she have got some letters through the years. Edit is old now, 99 today, and living in a nursing home, and they promised to send a letter when she dies. She is blind and dont write anymore. But there is no letter yet, thats why I belive she is alive  :)
I wonder, could Remington be a first name ? Nobody in the family know much about him.
Med venlig hilsen
Bjarne Due Pedersen

Bjarne Due Pedersen

Hi again.

Now i know something more:

Mr. Remington ? White was in a hospital in Toronto in 1951 and they married march 29, 1952.
They lived in his house at the banks of Lake Simcoe, he was in the age 50-60, and died sometimes after that.
After that Edith moved to 1292 Richter St, Kelowna BC V1Y2L2.
Med venlig hilsen
Bjarne Due Pedersen

Erik Jensen

Hallo Anita.
If you have the time please see if you can find anythink at all about Robert Emil Jensen born  november 15 1895 in Copenhagen. He got work at a ship going to New York and when he arrived there august 2 1916 he abanded the ship. He has probaply worked in New Jersey 1927.
Did he ever get married and got children are there any relatives? - anythink at all will help.

kind regards Erik

Jane C

Hi Erik,

I'll help a little - the job for Bjarne is maybe occuping Anita right now.

Here he is (record attached).

9 Apr 1953 arrive New York

Robert Emil Jensen as a crewman on the Bylayl
Port of Departure: Hantsport, Nova Scotia
Port of Arrival: New York
Length of service at sea: 42 years
Position in ship's company: Ch. Eng.
Shipped or engaged: 06 FEB 1953
Where engaged: Galveston [Texas, USA]
Age 57
5'11", 180 pounds
Born 15 NOV 1895 in Denmark
Nationality: USA

Jane C

Registering for the USA draft, World War I
Date: about 1917
Robert Emil Jensen, age 22
Living at 101 Decatur Street, Charlestown, Massachusetts, USA
Born 16 November 1895 in Copenhagen, Denmark
Works as an engineer
Employer is Bergason and Pedersen of East Boston, Massachusetts
He is single.

Record attached

Jane C

1919 - Working aboard ship

List of crew on the SS Muskegon (record attached)
Name: Robt Emil Jensen
Arrival Date: 17 Mar 1919
Birth Date: 15 NOV 1895
Birth Location: Denmark
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Danish
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Muskegon
Passport NO. 798

Jane C

ABOUT 1942

World War II Draft Card (attached)
Name: Robert Emil Jensen
Birth Date: 15 Nov 1895
Birth Place: Copenhagen, Denmark
Residence: Bergen, New Jersey
Race: White
Residence: 150 Wheaton Place, in Rutherford, Bergen County, New Jersey, USA
Mailing address: same
Telephone: RU2-0416
Age 46
Name of person who will always know your address:
Asta Jensen
Same address as him
Employer: Federal Ship Building and Dry Dock Co.
Place of employment: Kearney, Hudson, New Jersey (company office I suppose)

Homer Ficken

This must be his death record:

Social Security Death Index
Name: Robert Jensen
SSN: 152-05-3304
Last Residence: 10940  Middletown, Orange, New York, United States of America
Born: 16 Nov 1895
Died: Dec 1973
State (Year) SSN issued: New Jersey (Before 1951)

Jane C

Thanks Homer. Yes that must be him.

The Ancestry database contains many ship's records for Robert Emil Jensen.

I don't see Robert and Asta (wife or daughter I presume) in the census, do you Homer?

All the different places he lived are not so very far from each other.

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Jane Christiansen Dato 07 Mar 2012 - 01:39

I don't see Robert and Asta (wife or daughter I presume) in the census, do you Homer?

A possibility? (only circumstantial evidence and might be coincidence):

Arrived New York from Copenhagen 26 Oct 1930 on ship United States:

Asta Jensen 34, passport 25 April 1930, home c/o Mrs Nielsen, 831 Clinton St, Hoboken, New Jersey
Robert Jensen 8, born 31 Dec 1921 Weehawken, New Jersey, "    "    "
Anette Nielsen, 59, passport 26 april 1930, "   "   "  [mother of Asta?]

[They were probably abroad when the 1930 New Jersey census was taken]

Name: Asta S. Jensen
SSN: 149-20-7567
Last Residence: 07065  Rahway, Union, New Jersey, United States of America
Born: 20 Aug 1896
Died: 6 May 1988

Name: Robert W. Jensen
SSN: 153-16-5798
Last Residence: 07066  Clark, Union, New Jersey, United States of America
Born: 31 Dec 1921
Died: 19 Mar 1996

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hej Erik,

Try e-mailing Wendy Hudson http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~njdane/index.html.  She is the expert on Danes who lived in northeastern New Jersey.

Med venlig hilsen
Paul

Erik Jensen

A big thank you to all of you for the info :D
and I will contact the person Pauls has come up with.

Kind regards Erik

Homer Ficken

I believe this is Robert with wife Asta and son Robert in the 19 April 1930 Weehawken, New Jersey census, misspelled as Jansen (attached):

In 1920, Asta Nielsen was in Hoboken with her father Bendex and mother Anette, her immigration year listed as 1911.
Asta's father was a Marine Engineer (attached)

The 1930 census shows that Esther (phonetic spelling of Asta) and Robert had been married nine years,
Robert's immigration year 1914, Esther's 1911, and Robert was a Marine Engineer  

The 1930 census was taken six days before Asta obtained her passport.  
Since she listed her mother's address on the return voyage, Robert may have gone to sea.

Erik Jensen

Thank's Homer.
I have just got a lot of info from Wendy in US and maybe she can find living relatives. At least she is looking into it right now, maybe I am more lucky  :D

Best regards
Erik

Erik Rødsgaard Jensen

Hello Anita.

I write to you and hope, that you will be able to find information about this family. Until now all search has been in vain. From a deed dated 1889 in Ribe, Denmark I know, that they must have emigrated to San Francisco, USA. I would be very happy, if you can find a passengerlist, census etc. Here are some details:
Niels Peter Hansen, born 12/5 1853 in Ribe, the name of his father was Hans P. Bernhard (born 1893, Ribe). I also give you his name, because I found Niels in a census from 1870 in Ribe called Niels Bernhard but in a census from 1860 his name was Niels Hansen, so it could be possible, that the name Bernhard is used in a census in US. Niels is merried to Christiane Martha Sofie Lamp, born 10/3 1863 in Ribe. They have following 3 children:
Mathias Bodewaldt Hansen, born 26/7 1882
Ane Marie Hansen, born 28/2 1886
Sofie Marie Hansen, born 22/12 1887.

The family sells the house in Dog Street, Ribe on the 9/4 1889, and I can conclude that they must have emigrated in 1888 or 1889.

I also know, that a sister to Christiane emigrated to US a few years before and settled down in California, San Francisco, Alameda. Maybe this family also could have settled down in this area?

Thanks,

Erik R. Jensen
roedsgaardjensen@webspeed.dk

Med venlig hilsen

Erik Rødsgaard Jensen

Homer Ficken

Erik, you have not been ignored, as I and probably others have searched ship manifests and U. S. records for your family and found no matching records.

If the son Mathias was living in USA 1917-1918, he would have been required to register for the World War 1 draft, but there is no registration of a person born that date with that or a similar name.

What was the sister Christiane's birth date and married name if applicable?

Jane C

Another question:

You state, "From a deed dated 1889 in Ribe, Denmark I know, that they must have emigrated to San Francisco, USA."

Yet later in your post you make San Francisco, USA seem like a guess.

Does the deed (for the sale of the house I presume) say the family immigrated? If so, does it say where?

The family could be elsewhere in Denmark, or elsewhere in the world (such as Canada or Australia).

Mvh

Erik Rødsgaard Jensen

Hi Jane.

First of all here is my answer to your question about the deed. I am 100% sure about San Francisco. Here is a transcript of the first line in the deed, dated April 2nd 1889:
The undersigned Niels Peter Hansen, formerly of Ribe, now San Francisco in North America, sell deed and transfer all respect from me and the heirs of.........

And now to Homer:

Thanks very much for searching different records trying to find information about the family. You ask for information about the sister to Christiane, here it is:

Her sister is born and baptised Stephania Elise Kathrine Lamp, March 27. 1860 in Ribe. She got married to Martin Ludvig Peter Bjergby (born November 17. 1853 in Copenhagen, Trinitatis) on June 15. 1879 in Skt. Pouls parish, Copenhagen.
They get following children:
Mathias Bodevald Lamp Bjergby, born January 19. 1881, Sct. Catherine parish, Ribe. he dies April 16. 1881 in Ribe.
Anna Bjergby, I still haven't found her birth. But I know of her existence from an emigration to US in 1883. On a passengerlist i found Stephania Bjergby and Anna Bjergby (11 month old), but not Martin - Stephanies husband. Stephania and maybe also Anna returns to Denmark shortly after. Today I know the reason, she was getting a divorce from her husband.
In 1887 i found Stephania leaving  for US again, but know with her maiden name: Stephania Lamp. On the passengerlist I can't find her daughter Anna.
Then something strange happenes. I find on a passengerlist (Hamburg - Le Havre - New York) from 1888, Anna Bjergby of Ribe (19 years old???) together with a Niels Hansen of Ribe (35 years old).  This Niels Hansen could be that Niels Peter Hansen, married to Christiane, his age fits, but there is a big problem with Annas age. I have asked my self, how many do you find with the name Anna Bjergby and furthermore from the same small town like Ribe??? I think this is strange? Can you trust all data on a passengerlist?
Martin, now single, dies October 16. 1929 in "Alm. Hospital", Copenhagen.
Stephania settles down in California, Alameda, Oakland Township, Oakland City and gets married to Conrad Keller. I have a copy of a census from 1910 with the family. One of their children - Heinriette keller, born March 06, 1892, dies December 06, 1967 in San Luis Obispo, California, was married to the famous jazz singer and actor Al Jolson.

This is what I know about her sister.

Thanks again

Erik
Med venlig hilsen

Erik Rødsgaard Jensen

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Erik Rødsgaard Jensen Dato 11 Mar 2012 - 23:17
Then something strange happenes. I find on a passengerlist (Hamburg - Le Havre - New York) from 1888, Anna Bjergby of Ribe (19 years old???) together with a Niels Hansen of Ribe (35 years old).  This Niels Hansen could be that Niels Peter Hansen, married to Christiane, his age fits, but there is a big problem with Annas age. I have asked my self, how many do you find with the name Anna Bjergby and furthermore from the same small town like Ribe??? I think this is strange? Can you trust all data on a passengerlist?
Erik

Erik, I think the 1888 passenger list is misleading:

The 15 July Hamburg departure list is poorly written and might be interpreted that Niels "Hans" is also from Ribe.

But the 30 July New York arrival clearly lists Niels as a sailor from Hundborg, Thisted.

(attached for comparison)

Erik Rødsgaard Jensen

Hi Homer.

I think you have a point here. But I still can't get this Anna Bjergby out of my mind. Two different people with the same special name and from the same small town. Well of course, in fact there is no evidence indicating, that we are talking about the same person. This is not so important, what more matters is, what became of the Hansen Family?. Of course I also want to find out the secrets about Anna Bjergby, when and where she was born. I hope that this forum will help me to find out.

Thanks again for your quick answer.

Erik
Med venlig hilsen

Erik Rødsgaard Jensen

Jane C

Hi - Bear in mind that Bjerby is a place name, and people with that last name aren't necessarily related (although of course it's also true that they could be). Fascinating that Henriette was married to Al Jolson!

Hanne Holck

Hello!!

Can anybody assist ..? I would like to know more about my grandfathers children, if any, and professional life, originally he was a farmer, but apparantly became a miner (River Bridge Wayside Mine BC).

My grandfather emigrated to Canada, married, became a Canadian citizen in Vancouver September 23/25 1934. Please see Ancestry.com reg. below.

He died in Vancouver 12.12.1973:
Reg.: no 1973-09-017305
Microfilm no: B13329 (GSU no 2050284)

He married Karen Larsen (Hjorth). Place: Vancouver.
Reg. no 1934-09-415343
Microfilm no B13767 (GSU no 2135986)

Emigration:
Canada, Ocean Arrivals (Form 30A), 1919-1924 about Axel Hjorth
Name: Axel Hjorth
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1896
Birth Place: Gotermarie
Date of Arrival: Aug 1923
Port of Arrival: Quebec
Port of Departure: Copenhagen, Denmark
Ship Name: Montlaurier

Østermarie er fejllæst som Gotermarie.

Closest relative in Denmark:
Carl Mathias Hjorth, father
Baggaard? pr Hasle.

Destination in Canada: LLoydminster, Alberta.

I have no ancestry.com membership and so would be very! grateful for further information

BR Hanne

Homer Ficken

Hi Hanne,

Attached is his birth and baptism record from Danish Archives Online, Øster Marie parish, Bornholm county
(1893-1898 opslag 26 no.6)

Born Aksel Hjorth 27 March 1896, parents Karl Mathias Hjorth and Hanne Magdalene Sofie Rasmussen.

Homer Ficken

This is probably Axel's father and paternal grandparents in 1880:

Bornholm, Øster, Østermarie, Østermarie Sogn, , en Gård, 438, FT-1880
Name: Age: Marital status: Occupation in household: Occupation: Birth place:
Rosinius Laurentius Hjorth 46  Gift Gårdejer, Husfader  Østermarie sogn
Cathrine Marie Funch 49  Gift Hans Hustru  Olsker sogn
Laurits Peter Hjorth 20  Ugift Deres Søn  Østermarie sogn
Albine Marie Hjoth 19  Ugift Deres Datter  Østermarie sogn
Søren Christian Julius Hjorth 17  Ugift Deres Søn  Østermarie sogn
Rosinius Hjorth 16  Ugift Deres Søn  Østermarie sogn
Emilie Cathrine Hjorth 13  Ugift Deres Datter  Østermarie sogn
Anine Regine Sofie Hjorth 11  Ugift Deres Datter  Østermarie sogn
Carl Mathias Hjorth 8  Ugift Deres Søn  Østermarie sogn
Ejnar Hjorth 1  Ugift Deres Søn  Østermarie sogn
Marie Mogensdatter 30  Ugift Tjenestepige  Sverig
Barine Kofoed Olsen 19  Ugift Tjenestepige  Østermarie sogn

Homer Ficken

Axel Hjorth 38 and wife Karen Hjorth 23 returned from a trip to Denmark in August 1934 on the S. S. United States, departing Copenhagen 16th and arriving Halifax 25th.

Axel listed his birthplace as Østermarie Denmark, Karen as Kongsted Denmark.

Axel again listed nearest relative as father Carl M. Hjorth of Hasle and Karen listed him also as father-in-law.

Karen listed she had first been in Canada 1913.  Do you have a birthdate for her?
A Karen Larsen was born 29 May 1911 in Kongsted, Præsto.