seeking German ancestors in the Danish army

Startet af Anita Griffith, 06 Mar 2011 - 01:17

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Anita Griffith

Hello - I am looking for my ancestor (Gottlob Kuntze) who served in the Danish military as a surgeon. He entered the military 10 June 1797 in Sjællandske Livregiment 4th Regiment, 17 Battalion. He served until at least 1820 in Glückstadt in Holstein - he married there in 1809, had 4 children, and his wife died in 1820 - that is the last time he is in the parish register. The Stambøger someone researched for me says he was born in Sachsen (Saxony), a large geographical area in Germany. He has been found on the 1803  census, but I can't find him after that (Kilde: Vz-1803  Amt: Holsten   Herred: Ksp. Wedel   Sogn: Flecken Wedel   Stednavn: Flecken Wedel Matr.nr/adresse: St. Anscharii Strasse   Husstands-/familienr: 62. Fam.   Indtastningsnr: D2111   Løbenr.: 286). I don't know what Flecken Wedel means.

I would like to find his military service record to see when he finished his career and where - maybe to help find his death. I would also like to find his birth as well. He had 3 surviving sons - 1 came to Canada and that is my ancestor.

I appreciate any help and suggestions anyone can give me.
Anita

Ruth Steenberg Rasmussen

Hi Anita

Are you sure the record in Census 1803 is your ancestor. The file you refere to is:

Holsten, Ksp. Wedel, Flecken Wedel, Flecken Wedel, St. Anscharii Strasse, 62. Fam., Vz-1803, D2111
Navn: Alder: Civilstand: Stilling i husstanden: Erhverv: Fødested:
Gottlob Jochim Heinrich Knorr 26  Verheir. einquartiert Husar  Anna Cathar. Elsabe K"rner 30  Verheir. dessen Frau   
Anna Dorothea Elisabeth Knorr 5  Unverheir. ihre Tochter

You tell he is married in 1809, but the person here is already married and named Knorr.

Regards Ruth

Anita Griffith

HI Ruth - I realized after I sent the message that I'd cut and paste the wrong man. My ancestor is:
Name: Gottlob Kuntz   Sex: M   Age: 28   Marital status: Unverheir.
Census year: Vz-1803   County: Holsten   District:    Parish: Glückstadt   Place name: IV. Quartier
Title no /address: Reichenstraße 114a   Household-/ family no: 914   Source entry no: C1595   Record no: 4659
Comments: [Reichenstraße 20]

In the household, he seems to be living with a number of other soldiers, all around his age. The head of the household is a woman - maybe she runs the barracks or a boarding house.
Anita