questions about church records from Egtved and Ødsted, Vejle amt

Startet af Lisa Petersen, 02 Maj 2020 - 18:51

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Lisa Petersen

I have been reading the church records from Egtved and Ødsted parishes in Vejle amt up until 1800, and have a few questions.

1.  One of my ancestors had 14 children baptized in the years 1741-1781, with 63 different baptismal sponsors, yet he was never named as a sponsor for anyone else's child.  Was he not liked by other people?  Not considered qualified by the church to be a sponsor?  Not home much of the time?

2.  This baptism of Jens Mathiasen's son Søren in 1737 lists "Maren Hansdatter til Søren Mikkelsens" as a sponsor.  What does 'til' mean in this case?  The record is here, left page, near the middle:

https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/da/billedviser?epid=17128584#173652,29219700

3.  I found problems with some of the images and the solution would require taking new photos of the original church books.  Will AO do that? 

Thanks very much.

Lisa Petersen
near Washington, D.C.

Ole Westermann

Hej Lisa

1. That's difficult to say - maybe he didn't want to be a sponsor.

2. That means that she was staying in Søren Mikkelsens farm/house - had maybe rented a room there.

3. I don't know if AO will do that. I very often go to Family Search, where the photo quality often is much better.

mvh Ole

Lisa Petersen

Hej Ole

1.  That is certainly possible, especially since he had so many of his own children.

2.  Okay, that makes sense.  Thanks for the reply.

3.  Sometimes FS is better, but in this case, the images on FS and AO look the same.  I suspect they were created from the microfilm made by the LDS back in...1950s? 1960s?

Thanks for the help.  Hope you are doing well.

Lisa P.

Lisa Petersen

Hej Inger

Thanks for the reply and links to the examples.  The new color images are so much better!  I think I will report the image problems I've found in case someone will think it's worth making new images.

I am always impressed that volunteers spend their time photographing old records.  It is probably tedious work.

Thanks for your help.

Lisa P.