Seeking info about Ulrikke Bøggild baptized Hagelquist

Startet af Bjarne Hagelquist, 20 Feb 2011 - 18:34

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Bjarne Hagelquist

I hope someone in the US can help me. I´m seeking info about a relative who came to Ellis Island in 1915 with her husband and a child 14 yrs old. Her name was Ulrikke Bøggild (baptized in Denmark Hagelquist), husband Steen Steensen Blicher Bøggild (descendant of the famous poet and priest Steen Steensen Blicher of Denmark) and their young child also named Steen Steensen Blicher Bøggild.

As seen from ar letter written on feb. 1930 by her father to his brother in Sweden " sadly last year I lost 2 of my girls one in The US and the other in Aarhus" (2nd largest town in Denmark) and the girl mentioned in The US must be Ulrikke - so does anyone know of her funeral in New York I believe in 1929 - her husbund worked and lived in the New York area.

And one thing more - does anybody know any relatives of the-Hagelquist family in the US ? Also information about a Otto Hagelquist would be appriciated !

Tks in advance
best regards
Bjarne Hagelquist

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Bjarne Hagelquist Dato 20 Feb 2011 - 18:34
Also information about a Otto Hagelquist would be appriciated !  
Tks in advance
best regards

Otto Hagelquist:

Arrived Philadelphia June 1905 on ship Noordland from Liverpool, last residence Edinburgh, going to friend M(?) Maldrup in Philadelphia.

1910 and 1920 Philadelphia censuses, boarding with private families, occupation carpenter.

Can't find him 1930 census, but registered for the draft in Philadephia both wars:

1918 - occupation carpenter, nearest relative  M. Hagelquist, Frue Mark, Aarhus.

1942 - unemployed, contact H. P. Rosenvinge of Philadelphia.

Apparently he never married.
Areas of interest:  Tønder county,  Brede, Daler, and Visby parishes
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=-skow-

Homer Ficken

(Deleted, duplicate)

Homer Ficken

Don't have a source for Ulrikke's death, and can only find Steen Jr. in the 1930 census, living on Staten Island with a wife Isabella, occupation passenger agent.

In 1920 Steen, Ulrikke, and Steen Jr. were in Brooklyn, Steen's occupation grocer.  Ulrikke and Steen Jr. listed year to US as 1915, and Steen listed 1910, so he apparently came earlier to find a home and work:

Sten Stensen Bilicher Boggild 33 arrived New york 31 July 1910 on ship Caronia from Liverpool.

Ulrikke Boggild 40 and Steeen Stensen 14 arrived New york 4 December 1915 on ship Frederik VIII from Copenhagen.

Steen registered for the draft in Brooklyn 1918, listing birthdate as June 17, 1877.  He registered again in 1942 in Perth Amboy, New Jersey.  Occupation unemployed, contact listed H. P. Rosenwinge of Peth Amboy, so probably did not remarry.

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hej Bjarne,

Here is Ulrikke's death in Brooklyn (Kings County), New York.
Surname    Given Name    Age    Month    Day    Year    Certificate
Number    County    Soundex
Boggild     Ulrikka     53 y     Mar     18     1929     7548     Kings     B243

Here are Boggild marriages in New York City

Surname    Given Name    Month
of Marriage    Day
of Marriage    Year
of Marriage    County    Certificate
Number    Soundex    Link to Brides
Boggild     Gustav     Feb     9     1933     Kings     2022     B243     
Boggild     Johanes E     Dec     19     1905     Kings     10465     B243     
Boggild     Steen     Jan     23     1929     Richmond     71     B243     

Here is the information on Steen's wife
Surname    Given Name    Month
of Marriage    Day
of Marriage    Year
of Marriage    County    Certificate
Number    Soundex
Nielsen     Isabella     Jan     23     1929     Richmond     71     N425   

Med venlig hilsen
Paul

Bjarne Hagelquist

Dear all,

tks very much for all yr work ind informations. I would never have made it if it has not been for yr guys
Best regards
Bjarne
Ps. one more thing - conc. Otto Hagelquist - the last I thing I saw of him was joining the US Armey in 1942 as carpenter at an age of 61 ??? (by Ancestry) - what was he doing there and can anybody find him dead ?

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Bjarne Hagelquist Dato 21 Feb 2011 - 09:06
Ps. one more thing - conc. Otto Hagelquist - the last I thing I saw of him was joining the US Armey in 1942 as carpenter at an age of 61 ??? (by Ancestry) - what was he doing there and can anybody find him dead ?

If you mean the 1942 draft registration, that does not mean he entered military service, and I don't believe any men that old were inducted.  But after Pearl Harbor, there was a fourth registration (known as the "old man's registration") of all men to age 65, just in case the war situation got that desperate.

I do not find any Philadelphia deaths online for dates after 1942, and he probably died before the Social Security Death Index started in mid-1960s.

Bjarne Hagelquist

Hi Homer,

yr probaly right - I found the information in Ancestry and the Draft Card was signed 29 of april 1942 on the Local Board no. 9 - so y thing his reg. was "just in case" - worst scenario ???
But how come I cannot find him dead ? If lost/or missing in action it would have been notices - right ?!

Best regards and once again tks for all yr informations

Bjarne Hagelquist

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Bjarne Hagelquist Dato 21 Feb 2011 - 13:54
But how come I cannot find him dead ? If lost/or missing in action it would have been notices - right ?!

Laws regarding U. S. death records are very different from state to state, and there is no nation-wide list available to the public for deaths before the Social Security Death Index was put online in 1960s, so for many states, deaths in the period 1940-1960 are very difficult to determine.  At the other extreme, Missouri now has all death certificates online 1910-1960!

It's also possible he died 1960s or later, but had never registered for Social Security, or his death was not reported to them.

Homer Ficken

As a travel agent, Steen Boggild Jr. probably got free or discounted passage, and returned from trips to Europe in 1922, 1932, 1939, 1941, and 1954-55-56-57.  Attached is his 1922 passport application with photo.

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Homer Ficken

I just noticed the notation "see separate application for mother Ulrikke" on the edge of Steen's application:  Attached is her application and photo.

However, it does not appear that Ulrikke used her passport, and Steen returned alone from the voyage in April 1922.  Perhaps she was too ill to make the trip.

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Bjarne Hagelquist

Dear Homer,

this is very strange - family told she went to DK for the "Goldwedding" 50yrs of wedding i 1922 (mother and father) and retuned to NY in may same year - somewhere I have the Ellis printout but I do not know where
But tks very all of y for yr answers
MVH/Bjarne

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Bjarne Hagelquist Dato 22 Feb 2011 - 21:14
Dear Homer,

this is very strange - family told she went to DK for the "Goldwedding" 50yrs of wedding i 1922 (mother and father) and retuned to NY in may same year - somewhere I have the Ellis printout but I do not know where
But tks very all of y for yr answers
MVH/Bjarne

Not so strange, I just missed her first search!  Ulrikke Bøggild 47, arrived NY May 1922 on the Hellig Olav, address 27 Whitehall Str., New York.  Perhaps she stayed a bit longer than her son Steen; I'm glad she was able to make the voyage!

Bjarne Hagelquist

Hi Homer,
so am I - and sadly her mother died 10 days after the celebration - so she made both the wedding and the funeral !
Tks very much
best regards Bjarne