Mette Sophie Christensdatter (Damgaard?)

Startet af Linda Michelle Thérèsa de Bodt Rosenland, 05 Mar 2014 - 19:08

Forrige emne - Næste emne
I am also working on my 4 times great grandmother Mette Sophie Christensdatter (Damgaard?).

In the 1753-83 As/Klakring parish records I find the following children born to Christen Jorgensen.  Sometimes the records say 'i Samling' and other times it appears to have 'Daug' beside his name as perhaps being a shortened version of Daugaard/Damgaard.  The all appear to have been born in Assens, Bjerre, Vejle, Denmark.

Op 90 Henrich Christensen is born and baptized on 14 Nov 1756 to Christen Jorgensen i Samling?.
Op 95 Niels Christensen is born and baptized on 8 Oct 1758 to Christen Jorgensen Daug?.
Op 101 Morten Christensen is born and baptized on 13 Jul 1760 to Christen Jorgensen Daug?
Op 105 Mette Sophie Christensdatter is born and baptized 27 Jun 1762 to Christen Jorgensen Samling?

Is anyone able to translate each of these records for me?  I do not think all of these children belong to Christen Jorgensen.  I found another child (Op 98) named AnKirstine Christensdatter but she was born 4 Nov 1759 which means she would have been born 8 months before Morten Christensen which is not impossible but odd.

The census records for 1787 in Klakring have a Jorgen Christensen age 34 and a Niels Christensen age 28 (but he is listed as farm folk not brother).

Vejle, Bjerre, Klakring, Klakring Sogn, Klakring Bye, 2, FT-1787, B9159

Jørgen Christensen 34 Ugift Mand Bonde og Gaard Beboer 
Niels Christensen 28 Ugift Tienestefolk   
Niels Poulsen 16 Ugift Tienestefolk   
Kirsten Friderichsdatter 20 Ugift Tienestefolk   
Christen Jørgensen 74 Gift Mandens Fader   
Anne Mortensdatter 64 Gift Hans Kone   
Iver Pedersen 45 Gift Indsidder Bødker 
Anne Jensdatter 35 Gift Kone

I could not locate a birth record for Jorgen Christensen (there are years missing in Assens around the time he would have been born) and because I do not know if Christen Jorgensen and Anne Mortensdatter are also the parents to Niels Christensen I am not sure if these people are related to me.

Ralph Rasmussen

Two observations.

First, 'daug' is a misreading of Drenge (Barn) in both cases, suggesting there is only one Christen Jørgensen in the village, who has engaged 'fæstet' Samsing Gaard, perhaps inherited the position from his father, as two witnesses in one of the baptisms are also identified with Samsing.

From the census, Jørgen Christensen should have been born in 1754, but census ages are notoriously misleading.
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Citat fra: Ralph Rasmussen [3835] Dato 10 Mar 2014 - 05:09
Two observations.

First, 'daug' is a misreading of Drenge (Barn) in both cases, suggesting there is only one Christen Jørgensen in the village, who has engaged 'fæstet' Samsing Gaard, perhaps inherited the position from his father, as two witnesses in one of the baptisms are also identified with Samsing.

From the census, Jørgen Christensen should have been born in 1754, but census ages are notoriously misleading.

Thank you Ralph.

The only thing I am not clear on is when you say 'who was engaged Samsing Gaard, perhaps inherited the position..'  What does this mean?

Ralph Rasmussen

Oops, typo! 

He has engaged, i.e. fæstet the farm, or rented it more or less for life.
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø