Kirkkro in Hostrup - what is this?

Startet af Barbara Dobson, 04 Sep 2013 - 05:28

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Barbara Dobson

An old building close to the church in the village of Hostrup, Tonder, has the words 'Ae Kirkkro' above the door. Can anyone tell me what this means?
Does anyone know the history of Hostrup? I'd like to know if this building was the 'pastorhaus' where my ancestor was living in 1845. It looks old enough and its proximity to the church seems to mean that it is connected with it.
I've tried emailing the minister but haven't had a response.

Thanks in anticipation
Barbara

Ralph Rasmussen

The 'church' inn.  Whether it was an inn ca. 1850 can perhaps be sorted out by looking at the census. 

In Jydsk dialect and one or another Yorkshire dialect, æ takes the place of the (den/det), but can be used before a noun without an intervening adjective: huset, but det store hus.
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Pamela Alley

Hi Barbara

Here are a couple links that may help answer some of your questions. They're in Danish but just copy and paste into google translate or a similar translator and I think you'll understand the meaning well enough.

http://historiskatlas.dk/Hostrup_Kirkekro_%283819%29

http://www.coast-alive.eu/node/13286

Regards

Pam Alley

Inger Toudal

Hi Barbara,

I guess the German word "Pastorhaus" would be the same as Danish "Præstegården" (the vicarage).

"Præstegården" and "æ Kirkekro" are described on page 5 and 18 in this booklet (in Danish) about the history of Hostrup village:

http://jejsing.infoland.dk/wp-content/uploads/hostrupbyhistorie.pdf

Best regards,
Inger Toudal
Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal

Barbara Dobson

Thanks Inger. I've scanned through the booklet and translated some parts. Unfortunately no mention of the 1845 census that my ancestor is mentioned in, so still unsure about his relationship with the vicarage/praestegard. I guess I can rule out though that the Kirkkro was the place where he was living.

Johann Friis was described in the 1845 census as a servant, and the 'pastorhaus' record lists 11 people, including priest CM (or CH) Hoeck and his wife and children. It mentions the farm...which to me doesn't really match with a vicarage??
So many mysteries...
Regards
Barbara

Inger Buchard

I would translate the occupation of Johan Friis into 'farmhand';
The census 1845
C.M. Hoeck   66   Verheir.      Prediger   Assit
Anna Schmidt   59   Verheir.      Seine Frau   Tondern
Balzer Schmidt Hoeck   30   Unverheir.      Ihre Kinder. die Söhne treiben die Landwirthschaft für den Vater   Enge
Christian Peter Hoeck   28   Unverheir.      Ihre Kinder. die Söhne treiben die Landwirthschaft für den Vater   Enge
Johanna Dorothea Hoeck   23   Unverheir.      Ihre Kinder. die Söhne treiben die Landwirthschaft für den Vater   Heldewadt
Johann Pet. Andr. Friis   18   Unverheir.      Dienstboten   K. Hostrup

tells that the vicar worked as a vicar; three adult children of his worked as farmhands in the farmland and stables belonging to the vicarage. Until 20th century most vicars in the countryside earned a part of their living being farmers. Often this agricultural part of the vicarage was managed by a manager (?) but having three adult children he kept the farm in his own hand and let the children do the work - also to be trained as farmers/a farmers wife. Not bad if he couldn't afford to let the two boys go to university.
That the church owned farmland is a left over from the time before the reformation 1536. Until then the church was one of three owners of farmland in Scandinavia: the king, the nobility and the churche roughly said owned a third each. After 1536 the king took over most church land, leaving farms in the villages to provide the vicars with an income.

The only relationship between the inn and the church is that the inn was near to the church. This was the only inn in Hostrup, but other villages had more than one inn and named them after place or function: Kirkekro og markedskro (near the market), Hold-Bi (give the horses a break) etc.

Inger
Redaktør på DIS-Wiki

Inger Toudal

The vicar/minister must have been quite a wealthy man, with four farmhands and two servant maids working for him, in addition to his two sons and daughter:

Tønder, Slogs, Hostrup, Dorf Hostrup, Pastorhaus, 1, FT-1845, C6060
Name:    Age:    Marital status:      Position in household:      Occupation:      Birth place:
C.M. Hoeck   66    Verheir.      Prediger   Assit
Anna Schmidt   59    Verheir.      Seine Frau   Tondern
Balzer Schmidt Hoeck   30    Unverheir.      Ihre Kinder. die Söhne treiben die Landwirthschaft für den Vater   Enge
Christian Peter Hoeck   28    Unverheir.      Ihre Kinder. die Söhne treiben die Landwirthschaft für den Vater   Enge
Johanna Dorothea Hoeck   23    Unverheir.      Ihre Kinder. die Söhne treiben die Landwirthschaft für den Vater   Heldewadt
Christian Christiansen   24    Unverheir.      Dienstboten   K. Hoist
Morten Christensen   28    Unverheir.      Dienstboten   Görring
Jens Boisen   40    Unverheir.      Dienstboten, erhält Unterstützung aus der Armencasse   Mögeltondern
Johann Pet. Andr. Friis   18    Unverheir.      Dienstboten   K. Hostrup
Cacorlie Christiansen   28    Unverheir.      Dienstboten   K. Lügum
Johanna Maria Lorenzen   25    Unverheir.      Dienstboten   K. Hostrup

On page 18 in this leaflet you see another picture of Hostrup vicarage:
http://www.museum-sonderjylland.dk/SIDERNE/Museerne/Bygningskulturen/documents/Nummer14.pdf
Originally, it consisted of four buildings built together in a square. Only the main building and part of the stables remain today. I guess your ancestor may have lived in the red brick building on the photo together with the other farmhands.

Best regards,
Inger T.
Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal

Barbara Dobson

Thanks to both Ingers for your help.
I now have a better understanding of where he lived. Wish I'd known this before I visited!

Regards
Barbara