Jens Nielsen bap Asminderod 1820

Startet af Tony Pears, 29 Apr 2012 - 13:36

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Tony Pears

Jens Nielsen was married in Melbourne Australia in 1858 and his age is given as 38. His parents are given as Sururensen Nelsel and Inge. In the circumstances I think the father is likely to have been Niels Sorensen. Jens birthplace is given as Copenhagen (again I am not taking that too literally). His father's occupation is fisherman. The IGI has a Jens Nielsen bap 1 Oct 1820 at Asminderod, son of Niels Sorensen and Inge Andersdr. Could someone check whether the baptism record has the father's occupation, or if it can be found in a census? This Jens seems to have a brother Anders and sisters Kirsten and Johane. 

Jane C

You can do a quick search of census data at www.ddd.dda.dk.

At Arkivalieronline (AO) you will find more complete records.

I found this boy. The parents aren't here, but grandfather was a fisherman...

Frederiksborg, Lynge-Kronborg, Asminderød, Sletten, et hus, 46, FT-1834, B5811
Jacob Jensen 57 Gift fisker
Maren Jacobsdatter 58 Gift hans kone
Grete Jacobsdatter 27 Ugift deres børn
Rasmus Jacobsen 24 Ugift deres børn
Johanne Jacobsdatter 18 Ugift deres børn
Jens Nielsen 14 Ugift borne born
Jens Hansen 5 Ugift børnebørn

The next step would  be to go to the churchrecords for his parents.

Probably it's better to trace him step by step back in time to find his family in Denmark. Do you have more info? (siblings, children, year of immigration, a death record with precise birth year, etc.) A cluster of names can sometimes help in identifying a person - the more the merrier.

Jane C

Born in 1820, your Jens Nielsen will not appear in the 1801 census. The next census, 1834, makes him about 14, at which age he could be working away from home.

I'm deleting a post but I'll leave the above comment. : D

Asger Berg

Hi Tony,

The baptism record is on Arkivalier online: Asminderød 1812-1826, opslag 77, No. 26, born May 15, baptized at home, but the baptism confirmed in the church on Oct. 1st 1820. It states the parents as: Fisherman at Sletten (a local place name) Niels Sørensen and wife Inger Andersdatter.

On Arkivalier Online Asminderød 1821-1840, opslag 134, the page on the right, No. 40, is a confirmation in 1836 which may be the same Jens Nielsen's. It says that he is 16, and he is "Plejesøn" (foster son, or adopted son) of fisherman Jacob Jensen in Sletten.

Asger

Med venlig hilsen
Asger Berg

www.hillerødlokalhistoriskeforening.dk
Hillerød Lokalhistoriske Forening

Jane C

Great - so Asger has confirmed that the IGI record above (for Niels Sorensen as a father) does refer to a Niels Sørensen who was a fisherman.

Has anyone seen the right Jens Nielsen in census in København amt...? I didn't find him in a quick look.

So now we need something more - such as an immigration record - to securely anchor Jens Nielsen in Melbourne, Australia, to the fisherman family in Sletten.

==========================================
If we have found the right people, here is some background:

In 1787 in Sletten, Asminderød, Lynge-Kronborg, Frederiksborg, Denmark census
Maren Jacobsdatter 9, daughter of Jacob Jacbosen, 59, enroullered matros (some kind of seaman)

In 1787 census in Sletten
Jacob Jensen 6, son of widow Anne Margrethe Jacobsdatter.
In 1801 Jacob Jensen is 21, Enroul: Matros (seaman type job) living with mother Magrethe Jacobsdatter 61, enke (widow) fisker (fisherman). The age is a little off, but Jacob Jensen in 1834 has a daughter Grethe, which fits as a namesake for this mother.