1775 Vabensted death/birth/death records on same page

Startet af Ruth Becker Morenz, 12 Dec 2011 - 19:21

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Ruth Becker Morenz

I have been researching a family member - Christen Nielsen Hintze.  He was a member of the Vabensted parish. 

I am getting very confused by all the names and how the children took the father's name as their last name.

I just found 3 entries on the same page for "Christen Hintze."

1734-1784 Vabensted, Musse, Maribo
Opslag 75 - 3rd column

There is a death notice for Christen Hintze (age 71? maybe)
There is a birth record for a son, Niels, to Christen Hintze right below.
There is a death notice for this son, I think, further down in that column.  On Opslag 80, Christen Nielsen Hintze has a son Niels.  Would people use the same name for a child who had died?

Would someone be so kind as to tell me if this is indeed what I am looking at and if you think that the two Christen Hintze's are related (father/son)???  If you could also tell me who the witnesses to the baptism were I would REALLY appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Ruth Becker Morenz

Niels Ole Dahl

There is a death notice for Christen Hintze (age 71? maybe)
Buried Christen Hintzes Wife from Vaabensted , old 39 year less than 7 weeks

There is a birth record for a son, Niels, to Christen Hintze right below.
Confirmed Christen Hintzes son Baptized at home from  H.Hickeldeg at 29 october
Named Niels , Lars Jørgensens wife from Vaabensted kept  the child
witnesses : Jacob Jørgensen , Christen Bru------
son Johan , Lars Jørgensens karl (employed at a farm) Jens, ------- --------
all from Vaabensted , born 20 october
 i cant read all of it

There is a death notice for this son, I think, further down in that column.
17 november ,
Buried Christen Hintzes son Niels 14 days old

On Opslag 80, Christen Nielsen Hintze has a son Niels.  Would people use the same name for a child who had died?

Yes it is used frequently to name a son with the same name if the first son is dead.
Med Venlig Hilsen
Niels Ole Dahl
Mail : nielsoledahl@gmail.com

Ruth Becker Morenz

Niels,

Thank you so very much.  I did not know that the first death notice was for his wife..  You have helped a great deal.

Sincerely,
Ruth Becker Morenz

Ralph Rasmussen

In that vein, look at the 1787 census:

maribo, Musse, Vaabensted, Waabensted Bye, , 10, FT-1787, B9288
Navn: Alder: Civilstand: Stilling i husstanden: Erhverv: Fødested:
Christen Hintse 60  Gift Hosbonde Bonde og Gaardbeb: 
Giertrud Jørgensdatter 42  Gift Madmoder [Christen Hintse]   
Lars Christesen 23  Ugift hosbondens Søn af 1ste egteskab from first marriage [Christen Hintse og Giertrud Jørgensdatter] Dragon 
Hans Christesen 3  Ugift hosbondens Søn af sidste ægteskab from second marriage  [Christen Hintse og Giertrud Jørgensdatter]   
Grete Christensdatter 8  Ugift hosbondens Datter af sidste ægteskab [Christen Hintse og Giertrud 

mvh
-Ralph
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Ruth Becker Morenz

Ralph,

Thank you for that.  Question for you... I have come across Christen Nielsen Hintze, Christen Hintze and Christen Nielsen all at Vabensted at the same time.  Can I assume they are all one and the same person or should I not presume that??  These names, as I have said before, are so confusing. 

Thanks again.

Ruth

Ruth Becker Morenz

I also forgot, I found that Christen had that son, Niels, that died  and then another son by his second wife and was named Niels.  Could that be the Nielsen connection??

Ralph Rasmussen

The practice of counting the father's name with a suffix as the surname/family name is very old in Scandinavia.  In Copenhagen the practice was largely abandoned in the 18th century.  In some rural areas it came into play as late as the 1870's, although it was officially to be abandoned as early as ca. 1820.  My great grandfather was born in 1849, the son of Rasmus Andersen.

Along with the -sen/-datter names there were many distinguishing names, e.g. Smed (Smith) and preferred 'nick-names', e.g. Hintze.  Whether the latter appear in the parish records or the censuses is unpredictable.  Thus if the census does not reveal two Christen Nielsens in the same parish, all of the variants in the parish record probably refer to the same person.  Double check by noting whether the variants are all from the same place name, and the absence of the qualifiers 'unge' and 'gamle'.

Someone who rose to some prominence, even to being entrusted with a farm, would more likely have some kaldenavn, for want of a better translation, a 'nick-name'. If you married the widow or the daughter of the previous tenant of a farm, you and of course your children might be known by a name derived from your wife's family.

It is common to see a name honoring the father's father or the mother's father given to succeeding children, as disease or misfortune may have taken the life of an earlier child with that name.

mvh
-Ralph

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Ruth Becker Morenz

Ralph,

Thank you so much for your response to my question.  I REALLY appreciate the time and thought you put into your answer.  That helps me a lot.  I will double and triple check my info before assuming they are all one and the same person.  My gut instincts tell me they are but I will make sure. 

Again, thank you for your help.

Respectfully,
Ruth Becker Morenz