Hans Jensen Kusk family (ca. 1638-1707 in As, Bjerre, Vejle)

Startet af Jane C, 07 Dec 2011 - 20:34

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Jane C

Dear all, I have found a wonderful genealogy online that lists the same persons and places and dates that I have found - it is definitely one of my family branches! I am trying to understand the whole website (in Danish) but having a hard time, even with translation tools.

Would some kind soul be willing to tell me if I have described the basic meaning correctly, for at least this one grandfather of mine, Rasmus Hansen?

http://www.minjyskeslaegt.dk/Personer/Mors%20aner/As-slaegter/Kusk.htm

Rasmus Hansen (1779-1867) was a boelsmand in Hedehuse, As, Bjerre, Vejle, per the 1834, 1840, and 1845 census. This means he was a smallhold farmer. In 1850 census he is called a gaardmand og huusfader, which is also a farmer. His wife was Kirsten Marie Jørgensdatter. The two had married in 1814.
     Rasmus Hansen was the son of Hans Jensen Kusk (1731-1789) of nearby Hosby, grandfather Jens Hansen Kusk, and great-grandfather Hans Jensen Kusk. The word kusk or kudsk means coachman. Rasmus's father could be called Hans Jensen or Hans Kusk or Hans Jensen Kusk. The men in the family seem all to be farmers, and I do not know where this name Kusk began.
     For generations the family had been copyhold farmers (with an inheritable, contractactual right to farm) on land parceled from Palsgård gods (estate). Rasmus Hansen's father took over the copyhold in 1757. Rasmus Hansen was his parents' eighth child and did not inherit his father's copyhold. His rights to his own farm came from his wife's father. (He and Kirsten were farming her family's farm?)

Vagn Lind

Dear Jane
You have described the basic meaning correctly.
I suppose the facts from the site are correct, but know nothing about their accuracy!
Have you tried contacting the person behind the site?
I have added a few things to your description:

Rasmus Hansen (1779-1867) was a boelsmand in Hedehuse, As, Bjerre, Vejle, per the 1834, 1840, and 1845 census. This means he was a smallhold farmer. In 1850 census he is called a gaardmand og huusfader, which is also a "farmer and housefather"."Gaardmand" has more land than a "boelsmand". His wife was Kirsten Marie Jørgensdatter. The two had married in 1814 They took over the copyhold of matr.nr. 67/27 in Hedehuse after her parents in 1814.

Rasmus Hansen was the son of Hans Jensen Kusk (1731-1789) of nearby Hosby, grandfather Jens Hansen Kusk, and great-grandfather Hans Jensen Kusk. The word kusk or kudsk means coachman. Rasmus's father could be called Hans Jensen or Hans Kusk or Hans Jensen Kusk. The men in the family seem all to be farmers, and I do not know where this name Kusk began.
    For generations the family had been copyhold farmers (with an inheritable, contractual right to farm) on land parceled from Palsgård gods (estate). Rasmus Hansen's father took over the copyhold in 1757. Rasmus Hansen was his parents' eighth child and did not inherit his father's copyhold. His rights to his own farm came from his wife's father. (He and Kirsten were farming her family's copyhold farm)

Venlig hilsen
Vagn Lind
6541 Bevtoft

Jane C

Thank you so much!!!! I was beginning to think my question wasn't very clear - but you have exactly helped as I hoped.

Yes, I have corresponded with the site owner. Also I have tried reading about Danish history and the meaning of these terms. It's difficult to take the Danish words, especially for occupations, and for occupations that no longer exist!, and in a very short and simple way, make the same meaning clear to a modern English-speaking reader. At least, it's difficult for me! I wasn't sure I myself understood the explanation. So while the site owner was very gracious, I still felt insecure.

Also nice that in addition to tightening and clarifying meaning, you have also improved the writing.

And I guess "contractactual" is actually spelled contractual? LOL

Again, thank you Vagn!

BIG SMILE.

:D

P.S. One of my 4x great grandfather was born in Bevtoft.

Vagn Lind

Hi again
About the spelling:

I  put in the word "contractual"(meaning having a contract about) in stead of "contractactual" (for me no meaning!)

You said: One of my 4x great grandfather was born in Bevtoft.

Who was he? ???
Venlig hilsen
Vagn Lind
6541 Bevtoft

Jane C

About "contractual" I was telling a joke...about my mistake in the first spelling, which made no sense to anyone!

About my ancestor, I was referring to Gaardmand Hans Truelsen. Born about 1741. Actually I don't know if it was Bevtoft - as I check my records I see his birth is not found (by us) in Bevtoft/Tislund, Agerskov, Branderup, Toftlund, or Ravsted.

Buried 12 AUG 1827 in Tislund, Nørre Rangstrup, Haderslev (1814-1831 opslag 200).

Do you know of him?

He was married four times:

1) Anna Cathrine Hansdatter of Gøtterup

2) Kirsten Knudsdatter (my ancestor), 26 October 1780 Tislund, Nørre Rangstrup, Haderslev (1703-1809 opslag 341)

3) Knipler Anna Margrete Madzdatter 27 December 1800 Tislund, Nørre Rangstrup, Haderslev (1703-1809 opslag 57)

4) Maren Madzes (maiden name unknown) 9 May 1812 Tislund, Nørre Rangstrup, Haderslev (1809-1814 opslag 277)

1801 FT
Haderslev, Nørre Rangstrup, Tislund, Aabel Bye, , 28, FT-1801, B8860
Navn: Alder: Civilstand: Stilling i husstanden: Erhverv: Fødested:
Hans Trulsen 58 Gift Huusbonden Gaardmand
An Matzdatter 57 Gift Konen Knipler
Bodel Trulsen 11 Ugift Mandens daat. Knipler
Margret Jeppes 78 Enke Kostkone Knipler

Lise Østerberg Bahr

AABELBY eller ADELBY  ved FLENSBURG ??

MVH
Lise Østerberg BAHR

Jane C

Not Adelby.

In the 1801 census they are in Aabel Bye, Tislund, Nørre Rangstrup, Haderslev.

This link lists both places:
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dnkcen/FAQ/dk-de_place_names.html

Aabøl, K, Tislund S. Tirslund S., Nørre Rangstrup K. (Gross-, Klein-Aabel). (Groß-Aabel). (Aabel).

Adelby, S. Sydslesvig

John Wrenholt

familysearch finds a Hans Troelsen born on 27 May 1743 in Tyrstrup, Haderslev.  Could he be the same Hans as your ancestor?

Jane C

!!!

How surprising.

Yes, that is the man we think is "our" Hans Truelsen, baptised that day.

Actually I didn't make this post about him - so you guys are getting me to return to his records, and refreshing my memory! Hans Truelsen is my earliest ancestor on this "branch." His children are known to us (cousins who have worked on this), but about Hans's own birth and parentage we are not so sure.

We think his father was a Truels Hansen born in Baulund, Agerskov, Nørre Rangstrup, Haderslev, Denmark ca 1710-1718. This Truels was buried 18 May 1786 in Aabel Bye. Truels is found as Lægdsmand in 1758 and Skattelægger in 1768. Don't know his wife.

A Hans Matthiesen and Dorthea Truelsdatter, married in Agerskov abt 1714 in who died in Bauland, could be parents to Truels. Dorthea was born 07 April 7 1689 in Ravsted, Slogs, Tønder, Denmark. Father to Dorthea could be Truels Kristiansen born abt 1650 in Ravsted.

All this is not established - I don't think it possible for this lineage to be certain.

However, I would love it if any way could be found to connect the dots!

Thanks so much for your interest!

Gitte Hovedskov

Hi Jane

Hans Jensen Kusk (1638-1707) was my 7 x great grandfather.

I don't know whether you are interested in tracing other branches of his descendants, but let me know if this line is of any interest to you:

Hans Jensen Kusk (1638-1707) & Maren Juelsdatter (1666-1741)
Their son: Jens Hansen Kusk (1696-1765) & Maren Jensdatter (1702-1771)
Their son: Hans Jensen Kusk (1731-1789) & Ane Sørensdatter (1733-1810)
Their son: Christen Hansen Kusk (1765-1838) & Margrethe Hansdatter ( 1764-1817)
Their daughter: Ane Christensdatter (1807-1885) & Niels Jørgensen Borres 1807-1845)
Their daughter: Jørgine Jensine Nielsdatter (1838-1920) & Niels Pedersen (1826-1876)
Their son: Søren Christian Petersen (1875-1930) & Sørine Sørensen (1873-1919)
Their son: Svend Aage Henry Petersen (1905-?) & Ellen Margrethe Hovedskov Andersen (1908-1989)
Their son: Idon Benny Hovedskov (Andersen) Hansen (1932-1986) & Lissi Pedersen (1941-2000)
Their daughter (me): Gitte Hovedskov Hansen (1962)

I gleaned a lot of information from the website you refer to, and I am interested in Hans Jensen Kusk's ancestors and descendants as a whole.

Gitte  :)

Jane C

Hej Gitte - nice to meet you, cousin!

Hans Jensen Kusk 1731-1789 is my ancestor too but not his son Christian. I guess I probably don't need all the descendant information about Christian.

Are there questions about descendants that you have that I might be able to help with? Be glad to - email if so.

: D